The bitter taste in mouth: causes, symptoms, what does it mean?
The bitter taste in the mouth excites many people, and this is not surprising because the causes and the symptoms that accompany this unpleasant condition are diverse. What does it mean? Where is formed a bitter feeling in the mouth? Let us examine in detail these questions.
Often the uncomfortable feeling appears in older patients, because with the passage of life added annually a new chronic disease. The source of bitter taste usually lies in the intestinal tract, so should look for the cause in the internal organs, starting with mouth and ending intestine.
Bitter taste in mouth – what does that mean?
Unpleasant, bitter taste in the mouth and on the tongue sometimes appears spontaneously, and at times worried for a long period. For example, in cases of poisoning or disorders in the endocrine system the bitterness for a long time felt in the mouth, but the flavor changes that occur shortly after meals or certain medicines, is quick.
In many situations, such complaints are typical for people who suffer from the disease of the liver or gall bladder, so with attention to the present problem. From the period when there is a symptom depends what is the reason of his calling.
- unpleasant taste in the morning – a source of discomfort lurks in diseases of the liver and biliary tracts;
- the bitterness in the mouth after a heavy load – if the physical stress associated with pain in the right hypochondrium, it indicates hepatopathy;
- the change in perception of taste after dental intervention is a sign of an allergic reaction to used for the treatment of materials, especially when there are pockets of redness or rashes on the gums;
- bitter taste after eating fatty foods or when eating – this symptom is characteristic of diseases of liver, gall bladder and ways;
- discomfort, they always occur after eating indicates pathology of the stomach and duodenum;
- bitter taste, accompanied by heartburn is a characteristic symptom of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease);
- the constant feeling of bitterness in the mouth requires careful examination, as it may indicate the development of cancer of the gastrointestinal tract, calculous cholecystitis, diseases of the endocrine or psychogenic origin;
- briefly encountered bitter sensation on the tongue – appears due to the use of drugs or motivated by nervous stress.
Related article: a taste of blood in his mouth — what to do?
Causes of bitterness in the mouth
Prerequisites, why do I get the feeling rancidity. The unpleasant sensation sometimes occurs due to improper diet or taking medication. The main reasons causing the women and men bitter taste in the mouth are:
- dental disease – inflammation of the soft tissues and mucous membranes lead to changes in taste perception, in addition, this condition sometimes occurs after tooth extraction;
- pathology of the digestive tract – all sorts of inflammatory and infectious processes, accompanied with nausea and a touch on the tongue, affecting the organs, from the esophagus and ending with the intestines;
- different types of hepatopathies – all kinds of dysfunction of the liver cause pain in the right upper quadrant of the distortion of the process of choleresis and its transport routes;
- pregnancy – hormonal changes in the female body can lead to short-term changes in taste;
- poisoning intoxication with salts of heavy metals leads to serious malfunctions of the organism, therefore, require urgent medical supervision;
- the increase of blood sugar – the bitter taste in the mouth considered a symptom of diabetes along with decrease in production of sweat, dizziness and feeling of heat in the extremities;
- gallbladder disease – increased production of bile it is hit in the stomach, causing a bitter or sour taste in the mouth, and is accompanied by weakness and deterioration of health;
- endocrine pathology is the malfunction of the thyroid gland and adrenal glands lead to a change in hormonal balance, increases the synthesis of epinephrine which causes smooth muscle spasm of the bile ducts and is release of bile;
- the use of medicines – medication of some groups (antibiotics, anti-hypertensive and antidiabetic agents, hormonal drugs) cause a rancid taste in the mouth;
- Smoking following this bad habit over many years leads to the fact that tobacco alters your perception buds and taste sensations;
- other diseases like Sjogren’s syndrome, malignant neoplasms, amyloid degeneration cause the appearance of bitterness in the mouth.
Depending on the pathology, leading to bitter taste in the mouth, a doctor recommends the appropriate treatment regimen, but initially you will need to establish when and why this symptom appears.
In the morning
The feeling of bitterness when awakening after sleep occurs because of various backgrounds.
- Caries and complications, as well as non-carious lesions of teeth.
- Periodontal disease.
- Excessive absorption of coffee the night before.
- Eating garlic, pepper and other spices.
- The drinking of alcohol.
The body can not cope with the excretion of bile, so it penetrates into the stomach, where it comes into the esophagus. This provokes the occurrence of reflux, which is reflux of stomach contents into the mouth.
Another reason for the emergence of a sense of rancid in the morning hours include diseases of ENT-organs. Stuffy nose, sinusitis, inflammation of the throat and trachea are changing the taste perception.
When in the mouth there is a bitter feeling while eating, this may indicate an intolerance to certain foods. In addition, grief occurs if the day before to eat a bitter or spicy. Such a feeling causes the onions, garlic, fatty meats.
Certain types of food can spoil the taste perception (legumes, some fruits and vegetables). A rancid taste is associated with the progression of diseases of the stomach, worsening after intake of some food groups.
- Sweets – frequent consumption of carbohydrate food leads to disruption of the perception of the receptor and distortion of taste.
- Food with a pronounced bitterness – eating foods with bitter taste, be prepared for the fact that this feeling can bother you for several hours.
- Pine nuts – they believe a bad taste in the mouth, which is impossible to eliminate, it takes place independently, and the use of other foods to «kill» the feelings will not succeed and will only aggravate the situation.
This is interesting: why is there the taste of iodine?
Distortion of taste perception in women who bears a child, due to hormonal changes:
- the increasing level of progesterone leads to relaxation of is not only smooth uterine muscles but also the muscles of the internal organs, including the gastrointestinal tract;
- slowing down digestion and peristalsis;
- the valve between the duodenum, stomach and esophagus closes tightly enough, so the bile and hydrochloric acid is able to penetrate into higher structures, evoking the feeling of rancidity in my mouth.
Discomfort in the oral cavity after the use of antibacterial drugs is a common companion therapy: voznikaet dryness, bitterness, tingling or burning sensation on the mucous membranes. This is due to the fact that this group of drugs:
- destroys the natural microflora;
- reduces the number of lactobacilli;
- leads to dysbiosis.
Often the bitterness appears after a prolonged use of medicines, and disappears when you complete a course of treatment.
Video: how to get rid of the bitter taste in your mouth?
Symptoms of what disease?
Established diagnosis allows not only to eliminate such unpleasant phenomenon, as the bitter taste, but to pick up necessary medications for effects on the underlying cause. Most often you should check the gallbladder, because the violation of the production and excretion of bile from the body usually characterized by a distortion of taste perception.
- Pathology of the liver – the organ responsible for bile synthesis, therefore, a violation of its functioning may manifest as hypersecretion of the substance.
- Cholecystitis – inflammation of the gallbladder. In addition to discomfort in the mouth, the patient indicates pain in the area under the right ribs, signs of dyspeptic disorders, and irritability yellow tongue coating.
- Diseases of the stomach, play a secondary role, however, chronic gastritis, gastro-duodenitis or ulcer in the acute stage can give that symptom.
To determine the exact cause of the bitter aftertaste you should make an appointment to see the doctor.
How to remove bitter taste in your mouth? The main treatment methods
To completely get rid of the rancid taste you need a qualitative diagnosis, which exhibited a diagnosis and receives appropriate therapy.
Treatment is based on an integrated approach and consists of the following items.
- Medication assistance.
- Correction of diet.
- The use of herbal medicine.
Do not rely on the advice of friends, reviews online, as well as the speculation of people without medical education, is strictly prohibited, because ignorance of the etiology of the disease and the corresponding incorrect treatment can cause great harm and worsen the course of the pathological process.
Diet and nutrition
The role of food in getting rid of the unpleasant bitter taste in the mouth much, so the question is, what is allowed to eat and what to exclude during illness relevant. Features of diet-dependent disease, so the list of available products in each case should inquire of the attending physician.
When bitterness is not a symptom of the disease, it is necessary to review what is included in the daily diet and eliminate harmful foods.
- Fatty pork and lamb.
- Spices with strong spicy or bitter taste.
- Fresh pastries from white flour varieties.
- Vegetables with a distinctive sharpness of taste (horseradish, onions, peppers, garlic, radishes).
- Acidic fruits and berries.
- Starchy products.
Drink green tea, infusions of herbs that have choleretic effect, dairy products and cereals. Power correction will get rid of the discomfort in the mouth.
Without the use of drugs will not be able to cope with the grief, if the cause of its formation lies in the diseases of internal organs. Selection of drugs depends on the type of disease and is performed only after clinical and laboratory tests:
- pathology of the stomach and intestines – Mezim, pankreatin, Festal, and other enzymes;
- disruption in the liver – Allohol, Drotaverine, Flamin;
- changed excretion of bile – Holagol, Capsil, Epsil, Metoclopramide, Hepatofit.
After a medical examination, if the doctor advised funds on the basis of medicinal herbs, you can help yourself to cope with a bitter taste in the mouth at home:
- jelly from flax seed – pour a glass of boiling water 5-7 gr dried fruits and leave to form mucus for 30-40 minutes. The mixture is taken before meals 2-3 times a day during the week;
- a decoction of corn silk – 10 grams of dried «corn hair» steamed 250 ml of hot water in a thermos and put to form the infusion. The filtered liquid can be used to drink up to five times a day glass;
- dairy tincture of horseradish, fresh, grated root pour a quarter liter of milk in a ratio of 1:10, placed in a water bath and heat on low heat for about half an hour. The resulting broth to drink 10-15 ml, 3-4 times a day;
- chamomile broth – chamomile flowers pour the water and put on the stove, after boiling, boil 10 minutes and allow to cool. Fresh herbal tea you should drink daily glass.
Video: warning signs in the mouth.
► What pills to drink?
No need to self-medicate and to take medication without the recommendations of a specialist. Therefore, for the therapy contact your doctor – he will prescribe the necessary medication.
► What analyses to hand over?
To determine the disease will require a common and biochemical blood analysis. Also if you suspect a gallbladder disease and biliary tract ultrasound study. When the probability of pathology of the stomach and 12 duodenal ulcer occurs EGD (fibrogastroduodenoscopy)
► To what doctor to address?
The diagnosis and treatment of pathology of the digestive tract is engaged in the doctor-gastroenterologist. To him should go first. After inspection and retrieval of tests the doctor can determine what caused the appearance of rancid taste in the mouth. If the reason lies not in the liver or the gastrointestinal tract, he will send for additional examination to the doctors of other specialties.