The caries of deciduous teeth in young children — treatment
The caries of deciduous teeth in young children is a common problem that needs prompt treatment because it determines not only the beauty of the smiles of the baby and the condition.
It is a disease of the hard tissues of the tooth affects adults and children, milk teeth and permanent. Every year the distribution of carious lesions becoming large scale. More than 80% of children under three years of age have cavities in primary teeth.
Distinctive features of the flow and treatment of children’s caries lead to new treatment methods and improving old.
Psychological trauma in early childhood and associated with a toothache, for life is deposited in the subconscious and leads to the emergence of fear of dental treatment. That is why the approach to the treatment of caries in young patients should be gentle and painless.
Factors that influence the development of caries process:
- insufficient hygienic care of the oral cavity — this procedure rests entirely on the shoulders of parents whose children have not reached for another 2-3 years. With the appearance of the first tooth, they should see the rule daily cleansing with gauze or finger brushes without using toothpaste;
- sweet mix and drink — in medicine there is the concept of «baby bottle tooth decay», which arises from frequent feeding in the night sweet mixes or sweet drinks. Night saliva produced less, not good enough she bathes the teeth, and carbohydrates encourage the growth of cariogenic microflora.
- excessive consumption of sugars (sweets) is one of the main reasons why tooth decay is formed;
- soft diet — the teeth are intended by nature to tear and grind food. When a child eats primarily soft foods, and ignores solid products, such as fruits and vegetables, not the mechanical self-cleaning of the teeth;
- low content of minerals insufficient intake of food substances such as calcium, fluorine and phosphorus, leads to the fact that the structural components of the enamel does not get «construction» material for fortifications;
- heredity — genetic background to the emergence of children’s caries cannot be denied, because this relationship can be seen in many families.
Milk teeth caries in children of early age can be prevented by prophylactic methods. For example, on our site there is an article on how to brush your teeth and how many years to do with games and calendar-coloring.
The appearance of these signs indicates that it’s time to take your child to the dentist:
- the change in the uniformity of color of the enamel and the appearance of white spots (as in dental fluorosis);
- discomfort from temperature and chemical irritants;
- pain when eating;
- bad breath.
The initial signs of structure of the enamel unobtrusive, so parents should pay attention to the smile of your baby and 2-3 times a year led to the office of the dentist, because dental caries in children is spreading much faster(!), than adults.
The nature of the complaints of the child depends on the stage of the disease.
- For the initial manifestations of caries disease except change the appearance of teeth nothing noticeable and nothing hurts.
- When the process proceeds to the next stage – surface, most often the child also can’t be bothered. At this stage the tooth decay can be cured with the help of technology Icon without a drill.
- The appearance of the crater cavities, pain sensitivity when eating, especially with a sharp difference in temperature, discomfort from getting stuck food, testifies to the deepening of the decay to the average level.
- At the last stage, all previous symptoms joins an unpleasant odor and pain when chewing.
There are four stages of tooth decay:
The initial form looks in the form of whitish spots or streaks on the enamel surface and the surface becomes rough and loses its natural Shine, getting malovydne spots. Loss of tooth tissue at this stage is not yet happening.
Surface shape is characterized by the destruction of the tooth enamel to the border. Depending on the individual sensitivity of the child, complaints of pain may be missing. The enamel acquires a tint which varies from light brown to black.
Medium is considered to be a form on which parents independently pay attention and realize that it is time treatment. Here there are complaints of pain from irritating substances and thermal impacts, as well as a hole appears, which affects the enamel and dentin. The color of the cavity depends on acute or chronic-has the disease.
Deep form rarely seen in children, as it quickly enters the pulpit, because the chamber where the nerve is wide and occupies a large area in the crown of the tooth. The child often says that it hurts to eat, and when eating, trying not to chew on patient side.
Live: on children’s teeth in the school of doctor Komarovsky.
The caries of deciduous teeth in children and its treatment
Parents must understand that the carious process in milk teeth is subject to compulsory treatment, because it affects not only the health of permanent teeth, but also the body. Tooth decay is an infectious process, and the earlier the stage, the less painful will be the preparation.
Choosing a dentist for the first visit to the baby clinic is very important. The professionalism and communication skills of the doctor depends on how the child will relate to this process.
A good specialist when working with a child is guided by the following rules in order to stop the spread of tooth decay:
- 30 minutes – time which is able to safely sit baby in the chair.
- Anesthesia is provided dvuhetapnyh: first, to the mucous membrane, where the intended place of puncture, anesthetic gel is applied, followed by injection of the drug.
- Drilling of the carious cavity it is necessary only in cases where to remove tissue changed other way.
► Every stage of caries lesion has its own methods of treatment.
To restore the structure of the enamel when the initial changes in use remineralization therapy and silver.
- the plating method that was popular among parents and doctors in the Soviet times, and now is used for the treatment of children up to three years. Silver has a strong antibacterial effect and does not deteriorate the enamel further. The procedure is very simple: on a cotton ball to apply the solution of nitrate of silver, after which they are processed tooth surface. Due to persistent staining of the teeth in black color, this method is becoming less popular;
- remineralization — action methodology is based on the property of the trace elements fluoride and calcium to penetrate into the structure of the enamel and to restore a crystal lattice. A wide range of drugs, so the dentist selects the appropriate tool individually, depending on age, level of intensity of caries and its forms, acute or chronic. The disadvantage is that the treatment is carried out courses to achieve the effect have to visit the dentist almost every day, if the scheduled office treatment. In the case of home use should be parental controls, as fluorine-containing drugs in large quantity can cause poisoning.
For the treatment of medium and deep caries, when formed cavity, usually used by classical dissection with subsequent filling of the defect. But there are alternatives:
- preparing a drill — is used quite often. The doctor usually conducts a drilling tip that runs at low rpm, and also uses water cooling. Children who have previously had negative experiences of treatment, afraid of such equipment, so parents should make the appropriate psychological preparation, and the dentist to use the drill in those cases when without it not to manage;
- ART-technique — the principle of operation is based on the use for removing the softened dental tissues hand tools. The use of enamel knives and excavators completely painless and does not bear this stress for the baby as the previous method. However, not always only hand tools, you can completely remove the carious lesion;
- laser dissection of each year, the use of lasers in medicine increases. He has strictly directed action, removes diseased tissue and does not cause pain. However, not every clinic has at its disposal such bits and to remove the caries, it will take more time than using a drill;
- ozonation — this painless procedure fills the tooth with ozone and helps in fighting germs;
- depoforez based on the penetration of active substances into the tissues of the tooth under the action of electric current.
Used for sealing glass ionomer cements, sealants, composites and compomers. To the latter group of materials are your favorite parents colored fillings. The child excitedly selects the color of the material, and then proudly demonstrates his unusual fillings.
Video: tooth decay in children, treatment under General anesthesia — the experience of a young mother.
What to do if the child is afraid of dental treatment?
To reduce the fear of a child:
- interview about the upcoming procedure, it does not frighten the child and do not tell lies;
- first visit it is advisable to do with the purpose of meeting with the doctor and a simple examination of the oral cavity;
- ask the dentist to show the child the tools, acquainted with the drill and let the kid touch it, as it is known, the unknown breeds fear;
- before do not disturb the baby, let him spend the evening in a quiet environment;
- as a thank you for good behavior at the dentist, you can donate a toy or take to the amusement Park.
The first impression of dental procedures shall not cause moral hazard and discourage treatment.
To teach toddler to brush teeth – an important step for the preservation of their health, which should become a habit.
Milk teeth caries in children of early age and its appearance can be reduced by adhering to the following rules:
- Brush your teeth morning and evening and after each meal, teach your child to rinse mouth with water.
- Limit consumption of carbohydrate food.
- Enrich the diet of the child meat and dairy products, and fruits and vegetables.
- Offer your child solid food is mechanically cleans the teeth from plaque, and also gives the load on the periodontium, thereby enhancing blood flow to the gums.
- Visit dentist at least 2-3 times a year.
It is easier to ensure a sufficient level of prevention, than to subject then the child’s treatment, because the condition of milk occlusion affect the health of permanent teeth.
Running condition and delayed treatment of the teeth has consequences:
- with a weak immune system of the child every carious tooth increases the likelihood that there would be infectious diseases in the oral cavity, such as stomatitis, thrush, etc. Pathogenic microflora with saliva gets into the gastrointestinal tract and can cause common diseases;
- in case of strong destruction of teeth to remove. This adversely affects the formation of the permanent dentition;
- bad breath creates a barrier in communicating with their peers.
Video: how to avoid baby tooth decay?
► Whether it is necessary to treat caries of deciduous teeth in children?
Yes, he is subject to compulsory treatment, because it is a source of infection of the whole organism. Time to treat the carious cavity and to support the child’s mouth in good condition is important for the formation of permanent teeth.