The caries secondary caries
Tooth filling is one of the most popular dental procedures, it repaired the crown of the tooth, treat tooth decay and restore the aesthetic appearance. But even a small piece of plaster or the photosensitive material can lead to unpleasant consequences. The caries is an unpleasant consequence of poor maintenance of the teeth, but how to recognize it and what to do after his arrival?
Why you receive this problem
Dental caries is a long process of destruction — destruction of hard tissues of the tooth, the cause of which is the proliferation of pathogenic bacteria on damaged by acid or mechanical factors of the enamel. Organisms continuously release products of its metabolism, which are acidic, so they gradually erode the tooth surface. Why there is tooth decay under the fillings? The reasons may be several:
- substandard treatment of primary caries;
- besides, the quality of sealing;
- the lack of snug fit of the filling material.
Analysis of the causes of
Treatment of primary caries is that the doctor determines which tissues of the tooth is destroyed and removes them, making a small hole in the tooth. After that, the surface of the crown for a short time impose special medicine that is supposed to kill bacteria and then sealing. Secondary caries may form in that case, if the doctor is not until the end of the deleted damaged hard tissue or caused too little medication on the tooth, and it failed to kill all harmful bacteria.
Substandard procedure of sealing a tooth can also cause tooth decay. With the installation of fillings, the dentist needs to efficiently clean the tooth surface and lightly Polish it to no that does not interfere with the fit of the material. If the procedure does not smooth the surface of the crown or leave it too wet, the seal will gradually move away from the tooth and crack, creating a hiding place for bacteria that cannot be cleaned with a brush.
A loose fit of the seal due either to the fact that the filling material has been taken too much, or Vice versa — this applies to polymeric materials which after exposure to UV-a little «sit down», decreasing in size.
Sometimes the reason of development of caries under the filling material is not the negligence of the dentist, and the actions of the patient, which itself increases the risk of destructive process. The seal, though a durable material which covers the hole in the crown, can crumble or move away from the tooth surface when:
- frequent consumption of sticky toffee or other similar products;
- abuse of crunchy crackers or chips, sharp edges can scratch your gums and the surface of the seal;
- poor oral hygiene, when people do not fully clean off plaque bacteria and microorganisms break down the acidic metabolites of the seal;
- frequent concurrent ingestion of different temperatures, for example, coffee with ice cream;
- the bruxism is a neurological disorder where the patient involuntarily strained chewing muscles, and jaw in the closed position, grinding against each other, and a large pressure can cause cracks in the filling material.
These factors gradually break the seal, cracks or gaps in which bacteria settle, and begins the decay.
The appearance of the defect under seal may not notice right away, because all changes of the hard tissues of the tooth will be held in a closed space. Symptoms destructive process appear a few months after its start:
- the patient begins to experience pain when consuming hot or cold products, there is a nagging pain, radiating to the jaw;
- the gums near the affected tooth slightly swells, turns red, can begin to bleed;
- there is an unpleasant smell from a mouth;
- the color seal begins to change it becomes dark brown or black color (can be painted all of its surface or edges only);
- the seal can be a bit mobile, to bend under a strong push, or even fall out of the tooth.
The risk of caries is that the source of destruction is closer to the pulp — the blood of the connective tissue of the tooth, so no treatment after 1-2 months can start inflammation pulpitis. In this case, the person begins to experience sharp pain when moving jaw side of the affected tooth, it raises the temperature, there is swelling of the face.
It is important to understand that to cure caries without removing it is impossible, therefore, you should immediately contact your dentist. First, he will conduct a diagnostic examination and x-rays if needed to make sure that the problem in the carious lesion. After starting therapy:
- The doctor removes the seal from the surface of the tooth and then, using a drill cleans the recess under it from the damaged hard tissues;
- The surface of the treated area is polished, then it is processed medicinal antibacterial drug that will decontaminate it;
- When the sides and bottom of carious cavity to be treated, the doctor lays the insulating spacer to avoid the influence on the pulp, and install a new seal, and then polishing the surface (this will avoid the appearance of small cracks, which can accommodate bacteria).
This method of treatment of carious lesions of the tooth under the filling is only suitable in the case when the time the patient went to the doctor and the destructive process was stopped at an early stage. If tooth decay develops for a long time, the area of the destroyed hard tissue is high, and after processing there will remain too big a «hole», so you will need restoration of the tooth.
The types of restoration work
To restore the tooth in several ways:
- by the adhesive material;
- by installing dental crowns.
- replacement of some elements of the tooth.
The first method of restoration in cases where the carious cavity for a filling is too large, but small for the prosthesis or crowns. Adhesive material (adhesion — surface adhesion) is a material, which is tightly attached or lapped to the tooth, it is more difficult to remove from there, unlike the seals. Such restoration can help to preserve the appearance of the tooth without installing expensive dentures or crowns.
But even the adhesive material has restrictions on the size of the carious cavity, which it will overlap, if it is too large, the restorative material will just fall out of there. In this case, to save the tooth using a crown. The cost of the procedure depends on the variety of surface material — combination alloys of tin and other metals will stand substantially cheaper than ceramic crowns that are virtually indistinguishable from real teeth.
The prosthesis elements of the tooth — an alternative to restoration with crowns, this procedure involves installing an artificial tooth on top of the surface of carious cavity.
Prevention of negative phenomena
After a trip to the dentist and the sealing man should own to take care of its preservation from decay, and for this it is necessary to observe preventive measures:
- limit consumption of sticky and crunchy foods;
- do not combine hot and cold food;
- try to avoid concentrated sour juice and sweet carbonated beverages;
- to qualitatively observe the hygiene of the mouth, at least 2 times a day, brush your teeth, use after eating dental floss or a special liquid for rinsing the mouth with antibacterial effect;
- visit the dentist regularly to monitor the status of the seal;
- once a year polishing the surface of the seal to form cracks — this will greatly prolong the shelf life of the filling material;
- not to save primary treatment of dental caries and the sealing, because the cheapness can hide the incompetence of the dentist or, the low quality of the materials used.
A caries can be the reason for the need for re-treatment and restoration of tooth. Caries of the tooth can develop not only the fault of the dentist, but due to wrong care of filling material, so it is important to observe preventive measures so that the seal lasts a long time.