The child grinds her teeth at night: reasons and treatment
About 50% of mothers complain that occasionally a child grinds her teeth in her sleep, and wonder what causes this phenomenon and what treatment have baby.
Every mother dreams that her daughter or son less ill and full spill. Teeth grinding, makes her worry about the well-being of children.
Bruxism is a medical term that describes the violation. It is characterized by spasmodic contraction of the masticatory muscles, thus there is a reflex contraction of the jaw and movement are tightly pressed against each other teeth, which lasts for several seconds or minutes.
The friction of the teeth and the squeak appears. Usually happens at night, but it is possible seizures during the day.
If such action occurs from time to time, don’t worry, it’s probably a one-time reaction of the child on an emotional and intense day.
But with a systematic manifestation of bruxism, parents might start to worry and look for the cause of this violation. When grinding the teeth occurs every night, the child often in the morning can complain that he has a headache, the muscles of the face or teeth.
A single explanation why the child’s teeth grinding, no medicine. At the base of the phenomenon are as disorders of the nervous system, and disorders of the internal organs. Teeth grinding refers to many types of sleep disorders such as sleepwalking, incontinence of urine or snoring.
Some believe that the tooth creak in the night – signs of infection by worms, however, this assumption has no medical justification.
The main causes of problems:
- nervous strain;
- disease of the body;
- violations in temporomandibular joint;
- the eruption of teeth and malocclusion;
- genetic predisposition.
Why else would a child grinds her teeth at night? We will try to analyze in more detail this situation in detail:
- General illness — if the child has no psychological problems, often the cause of night grinding lies in the violation of health. In this case, the episodes of bruxism occur not only at night but in the daytime. To determine the exact diagnosis should visit a pediatrician who will prescribe laboratory and clinical examination to determine the cause and give direction to a number of specialists;
- the stress of every event in the life of a small child breaks the established harmony, inner peace, no matter what his age: 2 or 4 years. Quarrel in the family, change of residence, and sometimes even a simple repair that can knock out the baby. In 3 years there is a significant change in his life – the parents go to kindergarten, where he falls into a new world that is not always friendly to it is set. This has a negative impact on the immature nervous system;
- genetic predisposition — a long time scientists did not find the relationship between heredity and bruxism, but now there are theories that confirm this fact. Parents should inquire with their relatives who in childhood suffered from a similar disease, more often it is passed through the male line;
- General fatigue is the first manifestation, which leads to a change in sleep quality, and subsequently to bruxism. Please note, if you’re trying to force to grow from a child genius and do not load any additional training programs, back-breaking loads for early age. Not just the workload can cause fatigue, but also disorders of the endocrine system;
- beriberi — a spasm of the chewing muscles sometimes occurs because of lack of vitamins and minerals (calcium and magnesium). To determine the exact level of these substances in the body, the doctor will prescribe a blood test and special examination, and then selected the adequate dose of vitamin-mineral complex;
- pathological bite — violation seems harmless at first glance, however, it leads not only to disruption of aesthetics, abrasion and diseases of the teeth, but the teeth grinding in my sleep;
- parasitic infection — the statement has no scientific basis, but to be safe, passing the tests for the presence of parasite eggs to rule out this version. Often after elimination of worms, the signs of dehydration disappear;
- adenoids medical statistics says that about 80% of children suffering from adenoids, grind in my sleep teeth. In addition, toddler coughing and snoring at night, because enlarged tonsils prevented him from fully breathing and sleeping. To detect violations should contact a doctor;
- pathology TMJ is a chronic disease of the temporomandibular joint is a prerequisite for the occurrence of bruxism. Excessive or insufficient stress on the joint leads to the development of inflammatory or atrophic processes;
- neuro-mental exhaustion — day experiences of the child often reveal themselves at night, even if your child doesn’t tell parents about problems, delivering anxiety. Suspect psychological imbalance is possible by the following features:
- emotional instability, which manifests itself in the abrupt change of mood, tearfulness or aggressiveness;
- the uncertainty of a child in their abilities;
- somatic stiffness – clamped fists, slouch back;
- restless behavior of the child by night, he often wakes up, can talk and walk in my sleep.
Upon detection of such symptoms in a baby, you surround him with love, to give confidence, to help cope with existing fears.
Video: the caused by grinding the teeth from a baby in a dream? Responsible doctor Komarovsky.
Peculiarities of the child’s bruxism
This problem is common and occurs in 50% of children, as we have noted above. In the morning a child may feel a headache, be sleepy and tired. Due to the fact that erased the enamel of the tooth, there is a hypersensitivity to such stimuli as cold drinks, sweet or sour.
- Neuro-emotional disorder is the main cause that explains the occurrence of bruxism in children.
- The appearance of baby teeth is accompanied by itching in the gums and pain, so often, children unconsciously move the jaw during sleep to scratch a disturbing place. Don’t worry – this behavior takes place with the eruption of primary teeth. During the change of bite night grinding may be longer. It is important not to overlook this condition, because an excessive load on the newly prorezalsya teeth can change their position, leading to the formation of malocclusion.
- The periods of surges of growth are sometimes the children psychologically difficult, leading to excessive nervous tension.
- Baby bruxism is easier to treat than the same problem in adults.
The child grinds her teeth in sleep treatment problems
When the child is grinding his teeth, but it lasts no longer than 7 days and appears periodically, in this case, it is possible to help a child without a doctor visit. Most often this happens due to stressful situations.
The best treatment will be the establishment of a conducive environment within the family:
- not crevices on the child, even if he was guilty, and try in a calm tone to convey the claim;
- pay attention to the problems of the baby;
- surround yourself with love and care;
- read a good book before bedtime;
- walk in the fresh air will help to organize thoughts and to saturate the oxygen to the brain for a quick sleep.
If a child grinds her teeth in her sleep regularly, without the help of medicine can not do, only your doctor will tell you how to wean your baby from this problem.
► Treatment that will help you eliminate bruxism:
- The first doctor that you want to be at the reception, there will be a dentist. After the inspection and identify the causes, the dentist will produce a customized mouthguard for the separation of the teeth during sleep. This will protect the tooth enamel from damage.
- In the case of the presence of malocclusion, sent for orthodontic treatment.
- If the reason in the emotional sphere, the therapist will determine the source of the problem and tell the child and parents what to do to deal with the situation.
- The therapist will select the vitamins in case of deficiency.
- If the cause of bruxism is adenoids, the ENT doctor will prescribe the appropriate treatment.
► There are folk remedies:
- Chamomile tea has a positive effect on the nervous system and helps the baby to calm down.
- A warm heating pad on the area of the angle of the mandible helps to warm the muscles, and this will help them to relax.
- If in the morning baby aching joint or facial muscles, to relieve this condition will help warm compress.
- Bath with aromatic oils and a relaxing facial massage prepare for sleep.
- If the child revealed the worms, and the parents don’t want to give the baby a chemical medication, it is possible to get rid of parasites with pumpkin seeds. They need to be ground into flour and to give the baby, starting with one gram, gradually increasing the quantity.
- For the removal of worms, children are given wormwood. To mask the bitter taste mixed with honey.
Video: what is bruxism and why it occurs?
If left untreated, it can lead to other disorders in the development of the baby:
- frequent strong grip of the teeth leads to intimate contact between the upper and lower teeth, and this leads to pathological abrasion and chipping of the enamel;
- incorrect position of the jaw during sleep leads to malocclusion;
- fractures of the tooth crown or the advent of mobility due to the unnatural load vector;
- abnormal formation of the jaw joints and the entire maxillo-facial region;
- systematic headache;
- the tension and pain of the facial muscles due to the fact that the child grits her teeth and does it systematically.
► Child of 10 years, grinds her teeth in her sleep — what to do?
Bruxism is not only the kids but also among older children. To identify the reasons to see your dentist and neurologist doctors in these fields designate the primary survey to identify such violations.