The crown on the tooth or implant: which is better to install? Reviews
Which is better – crown or implant on the tooth, and reviews about each of them beginning to wonder of those people who are faced with the loss of dental units. And though they do not tend in time to see a doctor for the sake of health, the aesthetic side of the issue are interested in much more.
Among the various options of prosthesis is difficult to see how to choose which one is the best that will fit exactly in your case. The opinion of the doctor, too, not all will trust, believing that the dentist will suggest a more costly procedure.
What is a crown?
A crown is an artificial external shell, which attaches directly to the tooth. In order to install it you need to remove the pulp and grind to a healthy one. A crown can serve as a support for the denture.
This raises a lot of inconvenience and consequences that the patient will have to cope from time to time. In addition, the crown is relatively for a short period. Depending on careful relationship to it can last up to five years, but no longer.
Indications for crown installation will be:
- The destruction of the external skin, but protecting the base.
- Tissue damage of various diseases.
- Too high a level of abrasion of the enamel.
- To protect a weak tooth, to defer the loss.
- For regeneration of broken parts, restore the integrity of the unit.
- As a support of the future bridge.
- With the aim of hiding the changed color of the tooth.
The appearance and duration of use of the crowns is affected by the material from which they are made:
- Plastic – the most fragile, they are installed only for a short period of time while the patient waits for the final product.
- Ceramic is neat and similar in appearance to natural teeth.
- Cermet is made from a combination of two materials that perfectly complement each other and create the most durable and attractive design.
- Metal – it uses a variety of metals compatible with the human body. Have high strength.
Advantages and disadvantages
The crowns have their own pros and cons that determine their popularity in dentistry. So, the obvious advantages:
- Affordable prices.
- More quick and easy fabrication and easy installation process.
- Quite a tight fit to the tooth surface, making it a protective cage for live reason.
Like many other prostheses have their disadvantages, with which you can fight or accept.
- Even a healthy tooth will need to grind and remove the pulp.
- Short-lived use. Every few years you will have to install a new crown.
- It hurts nearby units.
- It takes some time getting used to.
- Design can fall.
- They should be treated very carefully and even give up solid food.
Due to a variety of causes result in the following complications:
- For a crown become clogged with food leftovers, clean are nearly impossible. This leads to disease of the tooth that is left underneath.
- As a result of constant pressure on the gums and injury, the soft tissue can slide and expose the neck of the tooth.
- Addictive not every patient is easy, they meet with considerable discomfort.
- May cause allergic reactions to some materials used to create crowns.
But other types of prosthetics complications even more.
What is an implant?
It is an artificial metal tooth root with attached on it a bit. The rod is made of titanium, compatible with human body, which should eliminate the risks of allergic reactions and rejection.
The bone rod implanted under anesthesia. Further, a special abutment is installing an artificial crown. Thus, the dentition is completely restored and looks quite natural.
The pros and cons
To the common man to decide what is best implant or crown, you need to know the advantages and disadvantages of both. Discover the advantages of implants:
- It is not necessary to touch and injure adjacent healthy one.
- Able to withstand the enhanced mode of operation.
- Reliability and durability, can last up to the end of life.
- There are no special requirements and limitations in operation.
- You can apply even in the case of complete adentia.
But there are a number of disadvantages:
- The installation procedure is a surgical intervention.
- A complicated postoperative period, prolonged and painful.
- There are many contraindications.
- Though rare, but possible allergic reactions or rejection of the material.
- High price.
- Long installation period, one will have time to visit a doctor.
The indications for the procedure
If the patient has a choice, he can decide what kind of dentures to give preference. There are the following indications for which this method will be most efficient:
- The reluctance to wear bulky alien design.
- The refusal of grinding.
- The inability to establish the bridge.
- If there are many teeth and need a durable support structure.
Of course, this complex intervention involves a number of contraindications and may cause some complications:
- Perforation of the maxillary sinus if the bone was atrophied.
- Affected mandibular nerve.
- In the case of poor blood clotting appears excessive bleeding.
- The discrepancy between the joints.
- Sometimes the wound infection.
- In rare cases is the rejection of a foreign object by the body.
How to determine the patient?
Faced with the classification of prostheses, a man can be difficult to make a choice. In each case it is necessary to consider features of the oral cavity, the presence of healthy units and other nuances.
For example, on a front tooth that is still partially preserved it is possible to put ceramic crown. And if you lost a unit on the chewing side, then the implant will be more reliable solution. It is important to determine what is important to you – price, quality, durability, appearance, convenience, and ease of installation or something else.
Video: crown or implant?
What is better- crown or implant?
In any case, you should know the difference between an implant and a crown, to fully appreciate the advantages and disadvantages of each method.
|Durable||A short period of operation|
|Do not need turning and another injury to healthy teeth||Need turning and deponirovanie|
|No restrictions on use of products||It is important to avoid hard and sticky food and carefully to the prosthesis|
|Monolithic design, which ensures its tightness||Possible contact with food and odors|
|Appearance is maximally identical to natural||Sometimes it may be a prominent rim at the base that will give the presence of the prosthesis|
|Long installation period||Relatively fast production|
|There are difficulties associated with the operation||The simple installation process|
|The need to take painkillers||Painless procedure|
|Possible to install even in the absence of teeth||Needed basis for a crown|
If to speak about temporary plastic crowns, their price is low – 3000-6000 rubles. Metal will get a cost 10000-15000 rubles. The most expensive will be the design of zirconium – 25 thousand.
Separately installed cost of the dental implant procedure, which can vary from 10 to 20 thousand rubles. More accurate quotes you need to know directly in the clinic that you choose.
I had traumatized the tooth and darkened. Had to install the crown and limit yourself to eat certain foods.
I was very afraid of the implantation procedure. Were it all not so terrible, is no worse than the treatment of decay or the removal of the nerve.
I decided not to install the implant, because it is expensive and scary. Metal crown me completely arranged and in appearance and strength.
I installed the implant, but the postoperative period has been very challenging. Long drank the tablets, went to the doctor. But nothing happened and after a long agony, I have a beautiful new tooth.