The dental dam in dentistry: what it is and why you need it, price
To treatment tooth went well, needed a dental dam in dentistry. What it is and why you need it, price and features of the application – describe in more detail.
After all, its existence should be know as a normal patient, from time to time visiting of the dentist, and the doctors themselves who are required to use it. It is the dental dam helps to make treatment more efficient and also to facilitate the work of the doctor.
What is the dental dam in dentistry?
A dental dam is a latex cloth fixed on a frame or a special rim. It was created and used for isolation of the working field. In the right place make the hole the desired size, and thus the doctor can treat the tooth independently of others.
Latex protective film helps to completely isolate the working area from saliva, blood, other fluids and even moisture in the breath, which violate the conditions and quality of dental procedures. This device was invented in 1864, and today the imposition of rubber dam in dentistry is the standard requirement of the International Protocol.
And yet, in cheap clinics it is used very rarely, but because people are often faced with the fact that the seal, for example, it is necessary to put anew. If we evaluate the advantages of its application and calculate the cost of the procedure using a rubber dam, it is still better to pay one time little more than to go to the dentist with problems of the same tooth several times.
Such dental tissue has a variety of colors, sizes, thickness and other features. Why in each case used different film, what does it affect?
- For ease of use cofferdam make immediately in the form of small plates. Although you can meet and roll variations. In this case, the dentist controls the desired size. Can be used frame or other shapes. They affect only the ease of use by the dentist.
- But the thickness of a napkin greatly influences quality and usability. The thickness of the latex can vary from 0.13 mm to 0.39. And if molars used thinner material, during the restoration of anterior teeth is more convenient to use the thickest cloth. The average thickness of the dam is more versatile and can be used in the maximum range of the oral cavity.
- Color is also important. For example, a light beige, almost transparent version need for qualitative assessment of the problem tooth, determining the axis and so on during the restoration light-curing fillings need a blue or green material. To best determine the shade of the enamel you should use dark grey or brown latex.
There are still other variations of the cofferdam for special occasions. You can order a special cofferdam without talc and then with silicon. This is justified when the patient has an Allergy to talc or latex. If the protective film will consist of other materials, it can be applied in all cases.
The advantages for dentists
Highlight the main points that affect the operation of the dentist while using the dental dam:
- Improved, as is only the workspace and nothing prevents the doctor to treat.
- The doctor is not distracted in the process to additional manipulations, such as replacing cotton swabs, liquid removal, etc.
- The quality of the dentist is increased because saliva and blood do not interfere with the material better adhere to the tooth.
Advantages for patients
Even more positive aspects will get the patient from such a device:
- The main objective of a protective film – providing a dry working area. And so the doctor efficiently do their work, and the patient will no longer have to worry about the patient’s tooth. The seals will last longer, but restoration will be more qualitative.
- Safety the oral cavity. When using the cofferdam in the throat or on the mucous surface fall a variety of medicines, particles of tooth or tools.
- Because medications and solutions are in contact only with the part of the tooth to which they are applied, greatly reduces the risk of allergic reactions.
- When using such records to the patient do not need much strain to keep your mouth open, and therefore the muscles have less fatigue.
- Some patients suffer from gag reflex, especially when the doctors lay the cotton swabs. With the cofferdam so the discomfort is completely eliminated.
- During operation, the dentist, the patient can comfortably make swallowing.
- The mucous surface is not dry.
- Movement of the doctor and his support is almost not felt.
- Especially notable is the comfort when using the rubber dam in cases when the patient has large cheeks or tongue. Latex plate perfectly isolates them and creates convenience for both doctor and patient.
- Time-saving work of dentist, which means that the teeth will be cured faster, and the patient leave early terrible chair.
For most dental procedures it is recommended to use a dental dam:
- In the treatment of dental root canals. It is very important that the workspace was the most dried and isolated. Depends on the quality of the work.
- When using fillings or restorations using light-cured materials.
- Sometimes it is used for whitening teeth, although this is not always justified.
In some cases you can do without a dental dam:
- The doctor will not be able to impose the latex film under dentures and braces.
- In some anatomical features of the patient’s teeth is also not always allowed to use such a film.
- When a minor restoration or teeth whitening is also not necessary to impose a cofferdam.
- When the treatment is performed in the subgingival region, the latex film can only complicate the work.
- Will not work to install the cofferdam and in that case, if the doctor has no assistant. The instructions says that to impose such a film need four hands, otherwise it can be installed incorrectly and off during operation.
The most obvious contraindication to the use of rubber dam are:
- Problems with nasal breathing in the patient. After all, this latex film is allowed to breathe through the mouth during the procedure.
- Allergic to latex, talc and other components of the cofferdam. But this problem is solved with the above-described variations of the film. It is important to alert the dentist of this Allergy.
Video: the use of rubber dam in dentistry.
What are the analogs of a dental dam?
If the cofferdam for any reason you cannot use, there are other ways to isolate the workspace from saliva and other fluids. Usually it is cotton pads, liquid rubber dam, saliva ejectors, tips, etc.
They can not fully replace the dam and have a lot more drawbacks. However, none of these options will completely remove the moisture, saliva and blood from the working area. However, in some cases, such as allergies, available use only these methods.