The removal of wisdom teeth under General anaesthesia: anesthesia
If the person gets the conclusion that it is necessary to conduct the removal of wisdom teeth under General anesthesia, he panics. After anesthesia is complete loss of consciousness and reflexes. Known not a few cases, when people could not leave the state of deep sleep fault of the anesthesiologist. Exceeded dose of anesthetic leads to irreversible consequences. But, as practice shows, mountain doctors are not as common and in most cases the procedure of wisdom teeth extraction in dentistry is successful. Consider options in which anaesthesia is necessary, as well as learn than General anesthesia differs from a local.
Like when a tooth grows wise
Wisdom tooth or third molar begins to grow in age from 18 to 26 years. Someone did not complain of the eruption, and someone faced with unpleasant symptoms, such as:
- temperature rise;
- the inability to fully open mouth;
- the inflammatory process in the oral cavity;
Sometimes people can’t speak or eat. If the eighth teeth gives a person the discomfort or threaten the development of inflammation, doctors recommend wise teeth to remove. The last in a row of teeth are completely useless, they do not participate in the process of chewing food, but on the contrary the shift of healthy molars and prevent their normal position.
When is recommended to get rid of the molars
Removal is recommended for several reasons:
- Impacted teeth. Their growth become hampered due to dense arrangement of adjacent teeth. Wise tooth germinates with difficulty, trying to supplant the next. It is curved, rising at an angle, causing severe pain. What impacted teeth involve the development of inflammatory and infectious process. To say goodbye to the molars need once and for all, in addition to removing the exit of a patient;
- The need to install braces. If crooked teeth or poor bite, person recommend wearing braces. The period for which the set plate is voiced by the doctor. The installation procedure is done only after a careful examination of the oral cavity. If the period orthodotics treatment is necessary at the time the potential growth of the molars, wise teeth removed, even if they have not yet appeared. A situation in which during the alignment of teeth or bite be a wise teeth may be complicated. After the displacement of the neighboring teeth leads to the futility of long-term wearing braces;
- The germination of the patient’s wisdom tooth or dental disease. With the defeat of the wise of tooth caries, periodontitis or pulpitis, it is recommended to remove, so how to treat molars does not make sense.
It may seem that the reasons for removal, not so much, but as practice shows, the molars are removed much more often than save.
The concept of General anesthesia
For fear of patient, wise, teeth are very rarely removed under General anesthesia, because the effects from anesthesia can be irreversible. But modern anesthesia has no significant harm to the body, and scary tales this is just speculation cowardly people. Often in dentistry using local anesthesia, to General, resorted to when the situation requires long or complex operations. What happens to a person when using General and local anesthesia.
Local anesthesia is an injection of anesthetic in the area where the planned surgical intervention. Man loses sensitivity at the injection site, but he is lucid.
General anesthesia — this is a direct effect on the Central nervous system. The patient is immersed in deep sleep, in which there is complete muscle relaxation, and loss of basic reflexes. This type of anesthesia is carried out for patients that require long term operation on the organs and tissues. Dental anesthesia are used for the removal of the complex or, if necessary, comprehensive treatment of several teeth.
Anesthesiologists give anesthesia by inhalation and parenteral methods.
The inhalation method, the person is supplied a gaseous active substance through the mask.
Parenteral method involves the injection of active ingredient into the vein. Sometimes the methods are combined. Dosage is calculated individually, depending on the age, height and weight of the patient. Equally important is the role played by the duration of the forthcoming operation, because if surgery is planned for an hour, then man has no sense of «put to sleep» for 3 hours. And Vice versa, would not be very nice, if a patient at the time of the surgical treatment will begin to emerge from anesthesia. This is why calculating the exact dosage — it is responsible and does not tolerate misfires.
When wise teeth removed under anesthesia
Removal of wisdom teeth under General anesthesia is carried out not always. The main indications for surgery under General anesthesia are:
- Strong fear of the patient;
- Vomiting during surgery;
- The need to remove multiple teeth;
- Allergic reactions to drugs used for local anesthesia.
Many people are afraid of dentists and therefore always find a reason not to undergo treatment. They suffer until, while in the mouth there is no inflammation or tooth pain becomes unbearable. During the removal of a small blood loss. Patients who are in panic afraid of the dentist raised the blood pressure only by the chair. To carry out deletion, with high blood pressure is extremely dangerous. There is a risk of bleeding. That is why such people are asked to perform the surgery under anesthesia.
When removing wisdom teeth, which is located close to the root of the tongue, there is a possibility of the opening of the vomiting. Grazing guttural tongue and pressure instruments on the root of the tongue increases the gag reflex. To avoid this, sensitive people offer anesthesia.
If you plan to hold a mass removal, for example, from 2, and then 4 teeth, local anesthesia will not help here. Man will always have to pin up the active ingredient to prolong the anesthesia. And to sit in one position for a long period of time. Therefore, when planning orthodontic treatment in which teeth clean wise, patient offer General anesthesia.
The presence of allergic reactions to medications in the anamnesis of the patient prohibits removal under local anesthesia. Without anesthesia do not, therefore, dentists remove wisdom teeth under anesthesia.
Contraindications to General anesthesia and possible complications
One of the main reasons why people are afraid of General anesthesia is that anesthesia affects the Central nervous system of the patient. People know firsthand how hard it is sometimes to get out of «drunken» state. And the stories about what a direct action on the Central nervous system slows down essential processes like thinking, memory, perception, forcing people to make a choice in favor of local anesthesia.
To fear for your health not worth it. The removal of wisdom teeth under anesthesia lasts up to 25 minutes. During this time, any irreversible reactions in the body is not going to happen.
Anesthesia are shown not to all. The procedure is contraindicated in persons with:
- Acute or chronic diseases of the respiratory system;
- Infectious processes;
- Allergic reactions;
If carried out before vaccination, 2 weeks before anesthesia is contraindicated.
General anesthesia entails a number of consequences, some of which are quite serious. Among them:
- Persistent increase in blood pressure;
- The increased frequency of the pulse;
- Stenosis of the larynx;
- Violation of respiratory function, shortness of breath;
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Short-term amnesia.
Adverse reactions do not develop at all. Most patients feel fine after 1 — 2 hours after surgery.
The process of removing wisdom teeth under General anesthesia is the same pattern that any surgery. If the person never had an operation under anesthesia, he was prescribed a number of tests to identify possible contraindications. The anesthesiologist collects anamnesis, find out possible allergic reactions, respiratory diseases, presence of chronic diseases. Be sure the patient is examination of cardiovascular system (ECG).
If all indicators are normal, the anesthesiologist selects the optimal dose and type of drug, and also decides what will be anesthesia: inhaled or parenteral. Before surgery, the patient is administered the minimum dose of anesthetic, in the absence of side reactions, the patient is immersed in anesthesia and surgery. After surgery to remove wisdom teeth, the patient left in the hospital for a while. It is overseen by medical personnel, after the recovery from anesthesia may open vomiting. The head of the patient should be on the side to prevent aspiration of vomit. If after 2 — 3 hours the patient feels well he goes home, accompanied by relatives.
The advantages of General anaesthesia as opposed to local
Of course, General anesthesia, like any medical procedure has a number of contraindications and side effects, but still, in comparison with local anesthesia, anesthesia has its undeniable advantages:
- The complete absence of pain, the person may experiencing any discomfort, as fast asleep;
- Full any manipulation in individuals with fear of dentists. A doctor can work in peace, when the patient is under anesthesia;
- The lack of interventions of the patient in the procedure of removing. Under local anesthesia, the patient sees and hears. Fear and anxiety can interfere with the work of the doctor, the man blinks, shrinks, moves away from the tools, closes your mouth when you shouldn’t. These actions of the patient can injure themselves;
- The availability of the mass or the removal of the complex. There are situations when it is necessary to remove a wisdom tooth under the gum. To get in tight spaces is extremely difficult.
Summing up we can conclude that the wise teeth removal under anesthesia is performed only in extreme cases. Usually in dental practice local anesthesia, which is not harmful to health and has fewer side effects and contraindications.