To whiten your teeth at home without harm
Modern dentistry offers many methods office whitening. But these treatments, though effective, but costly. In addition, we often do not have time for their own health, and we are looking for a quick, painless and as safe as possible bleaching. In this article we will tell you whether it is possible in several shades to whiten teeth in home conditions without appreciable damage to the enamel. To help people who wish to have a dazzling smile, but not wanting to go to the dentist hygienist, manufacturers come hygiene for the oral cavity. We offer pencils, strips, trays, medicinal paste, balms and even whitening brush. But can we call such tools are really safe and effective?
What is the process of bleaching of enamel brightening
Before you can understand the difference between the promise of the manufacturer to lighten or bleach the tooth enamel, let’s look at why time teeth become unattractive shade. The outside of the tooth is covered with the most durable fabric of the human body — enamel. Strength is comparable to the diamond. Its maximum thickness of approximately two millimeters. The enamel is translucent. The internal structure of the tooth is dentin, which surrounds the neurovascular bundle and protects it. The color of the dentin will depend on the shade of your teeth cleaned.
The enamel is the plaque that forms after eating. It is a sticky film on the teeth, consists of live and dead microorganisms and their metabolic products. RAID can be of two types: soft, which is formed during the day, and solid, one that was not removed in time, and mineralized at the expense of calcium salts in the saliva.
When consuming staining foods plaque is painted. Moreover, pigments can penetrate into the dentin through the cracks in the enamel, making it darker. In addition to the products the color of the dentin can be affected by:
- age-related changes;
- injury of the teeth;
- common disease;
- the work associated with acids or in a dusty environment.
Clarification involves the removal of dental plaque and, contained therein, the colorant, only from the enamel. To remove hard plaque is possible only during a professional cleaning ultrasonic dental hygienist. After manipulation of the teeth are lightened 1-2 tones, which for some patients is sufficient.
In the bleaching of chemical components (phosphoric acid, concentrated hydrogen peroxide) affect the structure of the organ. It is quite aggressive chemicals occurs at the enamel, which hurts its structure, simply speaking, eating away at her.
If the dentin is naturally dark or yellow, then, of course, that the bleaching to achieve whiteness will not work. But lightening did not negatively affect the periodontium or the dental enamel has almost no contraindications. Whitening is also contraindicated for people with thinned enamel (or it may not fade completely) or diseases of the gums and oral mucosa inflammation.
Than you can lighten the enamel themselves
The first of what should be cautioned is from the use of antiquated methods of clarification with the help of mechanical cleaning clay, ash or charcoal. These actions can be compared to rubbing your teeth with sandpaper.
Ways independent enamel brightening:
- special cleaning pastes;
- the use of mouthwash;
- brushing special brushes.
The most famous and effective way to whiten your teeth at home without harm, if you observe the technique of cleaning and duration, the use of special pastes. People who often uses food coloring, quickly noticed changes in the hue of teeth. It is the result of pigmentation of plaque.
Special toothpastes with abrasive substances remove plaque from the teeth, thereby brightening them. The higher the rate of abrasion, the faster it will be to remove sediments.
The indicator of the abrasiveness of the toothpaste abbreviated as RDA. What is its value higher than larger particles. For example, for teeth where there are problems with the enamel (it is sensitive to external stimuli), this figure should not be above 25. Tools suitable for everyday use the index of abrasiveness have about 75 RDA that allows you to efficiently remove plaque, but not to scratch the surface. In the paste that goes under the name «whitening», RDA can reach 200 (!). Naturally, such a paste can be used only with permission of the dentist.
Manufacturers of toothpastes, whitening effect is achieved not only by mechanical cleaning large particles, and also:
- using enzymes, e.g., papain, bromelain. They are able to dissolve the protein matrix of the sediments.
- the use of pyrophosphates is sodium or potassium. These compounds bind to calcium ions from the plaque, thereby facilitating its removal during hygienic procedures;
- with this unique system, which consists of particles of different sizes and hardness.
Before using a whitening toothpaste is better to consult with a dentist, but not everyone does. Therefore, we give a few recommendations that will help to protect the teeth from abrasion and corrosion:
- do not brush teeth like pastas constantly. They are designed for use in courses or one-time, for example, two weeks in a row or once a week. If you do not follow the recommendations of the manufacturer for the duration of applying the paste, you can make tooth sensitivity, erosion of enamel, wedge-shaped defect;
- if at the time appeared a painful sensation when eating hot or cold, sour, then go back to my usual pasta, and even better purchase with fluoride or calcium. This is not the situation when the beauty demands victims.
There are bleaching balms and rinses. But can the means for rinsing the mouth in one minute to impact significantly on the shade of teeth?
According to manufacturers, rinses work in two ways:
- dissolve plaque by using surfactants and enzymes. Includes papain and bromelain. They are able to break down the protein matrix of the sediments.
- the whitening effect is achieved by the use of peroxide compounds that produce active oxygen by chemical reaction. Thus, the composition may be sodium perborate.
In fact, the number of rinses of the sodium perborate is low and at relatively high acidity can hardly count on active oxygen capable of bleaching chemical. But it is not entirely meaningless. Due to the minerals it can reduce the damage by abrasives, thereby to strengthen the enamel and provide anti-caries effect.
There are special toothbrushes that the assurances of manufacturers can help to whiten the enamel. They have several types:
- with rubber bristles to better remove contaminants;
- containing activated carbon;
- with calcium carbonate crystals.
With this brush you can really achieve some lightening of the enamel due to «scratching» abilities setae, but with long-term use may occur abrasion of the top layer of the tooth. Independent experts explain the positive results of the use of the brush, the man becomes harder to clean the surface of the teeth and optionally applies a bleach.
Is it safe independent chemical bleaching
The most popular tools for chemical self-bleaching for today is:
- universal Capa.
Strips for whitening are a flap of polyethylene, which gel with hydrogen peroxide and additional nutrients. It is assumed that the person attaches the strip to your teeth, soak it about 20 minutes. Hydrogen peroxide under the action of saliva and temperature aktiviziruyutsya and emit active oxygen. He, penetrating into the deeper layers of the tooth, destroys pigments. Thus do manage to make a smile more attractive.
In practice, together with the pigment is broken down the structure of the enamel and the periodontal suffering. The more often and longer strips are kept, the more pronounced the negative effect. Some people have tooth sensitivity, which speaks of the thinning of the enamel, after the first use. If certified to apply the strips for the recommended time and not often, and after them to restore the enamel means enriched with minerals, it will be possible to avoid appreciable damage to the health of the teeth.
The principle of whitening pencils are identical with strips differs only in the method of applying the gel. Pencil is a tube with a brush. The gel is superimposed on the teeth and smiling while there is a chemical reaction. Whitening can be achieved, but again there is a great risk to the integrity of the enamel.
Universal trays for whitening are offered with a set of gels and even ultraviolet LEDs, which supposedly speeds up the reaction. Since Capa does not repeat the anatomy of the teeth, it is the most dangerous method of whitening. Gel can get to the mucous membranes and cause severe burns. In addition, the composition means the minimum concentration of active substances, as it is not intended for professional use, so to achieve a significant bleaching impossible.
To summarize. The tools for self-bleaching of enamel is represented by two categories:
- bleaching by chemical destruction of the coloring pigment. This is the money of hydrogen peroxide, carbamide peroxide, sodium perborate;
- whitening abrasives components. This paste, charcoal, ash, chalk, tooth powder, white clay.
The first and the second method leads to the disintegration of the enamel structure. During chemical bleaching is obtained grazing of fabric structures of calcium and phosphorus, leading to its porosity and susceptibility to caries. In bleaching the abrasive, the strongest tissue in the human body mechanically erased, like sandpaper.
If you plan to use bleaching compositions, then you can lose the enamel on the teeth. As a result, the dentin will be defenseless against bacteria that occur severe pain while eating and even become uncomfortable to breathe through the mouth. Enamel cannot be restored.
Safe innovative ways of bleaching
There are many recipes for enamel brightening and «the people». Maybe they are though less effective, but safer?
Not at all. Baking soda is the same abrasive that is big enough and it severely scratches the enamel. For clarity, imagine a glass that is scratched with a nail, and then applied the powder and it is ingrained in scratches. The same thing is happening with the enamel, it scratches and food dyes penetrate into the dentin, and to remove them is very difficult even for professional whitening. Activated carbon and white clay is also a large abrasive. Hydrogen peroxide destroys tooth enamel and is able to burn the mucosa.
Ways independent most gentle bleaching
- Safe teeth whitening at home can be done with the help of baking soda, repaid lemon juice and with the addition of 3% hydrogen peroxide (method Neumyvakina). When the chemical reaction is obtained the sodium citrate, which removes calcium from plaque.
- Daily consumption of apples. Even though you won’t get the dazzling smile, but the benefits will undoubtedly be. Organic acids from Apple capable of adsorbing calcium ions from Tartar, which contributes to its destruction.
- If you ask the dentist how to safely whiten teeth at home, it will offer a custom cap made from dental records. Doctor gives the gel concentration and duration of exposure which are selected individually. A cap provides a guarantee that the gel will not appear on the gums and will not cause burns.
To whiten teeth without harm and quickly impossible, but there are ways to minimize the damage. This application, first of all, certified products, with subsequent recovery of the enamel means that contains a lot of fluoride. It is a gel, medicated toothpaste, mouthwashes.
Before deciding how to whiten teeth at home, it is better to apply first to the professionals and conduct a comprehensive oral hygiene. This has a positive impact on the health of the periodontium and the enamel. In addition, the effect of bleaching will be more pronounced on clean teeth, than if they would remain plaque.