Tongue-tied of the child: how to determine correction
Tongue-tie in a newborn (Ankyloglossia) is a fairly common pathology. According to the average data, it is found in 1 out of 1000 newborn children. This feature is reflected in the fact that slimy strand, which is located under the tongue, too massive. It does not allow the body to function normally, and the baby fully develop.
The reasons for the development of pathology
There are the following predisposing factors that may lead to the development of a short frenulum:
- Drinking alcohol and Smoking during pregnancy.
- Viral diseases of the mother during the 1st and 2nd trimester of gestation.
- If the woman’s age at the time of conception more than 35 years, the risk of fetal abnormalities. It increases if the mother is expecting first child.
- Adverse environmental factors, work in hazardous industries.
- The use of potent drugs, the period of intrauterine growth and development of the baby.
- Genetic predisposition — certain fact of development. The researchers came to the conclusion that unpleasant feature passed from parents to children. In most cases, it is found in newborn boys, but not girls.
- Presence of abnormalities of female organs, inflammation, stress can also cause the features of the baby.
Based on the above written, it is possible to conclude that the woman will decrease the risk of occurrence of defect in the baby if is to follow the basic rules of gestation. With a genetic factor to cope with, unfortunately, no one can.
If young parents in the hospital about the bad news will inform neonatologist, you should not worry much and to abandon the operation. The procedure takes minutes, is easy and not painful. Bleeding is absent. After the manipulation, the baby was immediately given to the mother. The operation can be safely carried out until 9 months. Later, mucous strand becomes stronger, acquires the connective tissue and blood vessels. Correction of the frenulum of the tongue at a later age performed under local anesthesia.
How to determine the presence of ankyloglossia?
To recognize the presence of pathology can doctors and the parents. Self-examination is necessary to lift the tongue of the baby. Normal, he gets up to the upper palate in a relaxed state similar to the bayonet blade. The frenulum under the tongue is transparent, elastic, does not restrict the movement of the body.
Signs of disease: when lifting the tongue has a heart shape, the bridle cord is thick and short, the movement hampered. In some cases the mucoid strand is almost fused with the muscles of the tongue.
Ankyloglossia usually determined by the neonatologist, shortly after the birth of the baby. During his stay in the hospital, the doctor may conduct a simple process. One of the main causes of the operation is the impossibility of breastfeeding. In connection with the pathological feature of the baby incorrectly grabs your nipple makes sucking and swallowing movements. The length of the tongue of newborns is decreasing. A young mother can hear the child makes involuntary ticking sounds. During feeding, the baby is restless, constantly tosses the chest, bends, crying. Not receiving appropriate nutrition a baby, not gaining and even losing weight, there is deterioration of the overall development. As a result of disrupted breastfeeding, the mother crack nipples. If the manipulation is done in a timely manner, the children develop according to their peers. They have minimized the risk of complications of the disease.
In cases where the parents are sitting on the fence, do not take timely measures, the baby as they get older develops unpleasant features:
- Correctly formed occlusion. Observed misalignment of teeth, formed visible interdental space between the incisors of the upper row (Diastema). Often develops open bite;
- In connection with the presence of pathology, the child is easier to breathe through the mouth. The nasal cavity is designed to be a filter. In the nose the air is cleaned, to become warmer. If a person is constantly breathing mouth, the air enters the breathing system is not cleaned and cold. As a result, the risk of SARS is increasing;
- A speech disorder. Short frenulum leads to errors of formation of the correct articulation: sonorants hard and soft sounds of «P» and «L» hissing «CH», «sh», «Sch», other sounds of hard and soft D, T Initially, parents do not attach importance to the fact that their crumbs incorrectly pronounce words. However, as they grow older, the situation has not changed. Moms and dads in a hurry to correct the speech of children, to do this, turn to the experts;
- Dental disease: gingivitis, periodontitis, exposure of the necks of the teeth, development of hypersensitivity, cervical caries;
- In the future the guys can develop: aerophagia, sleep apnea, snoring, defect of the tip body.
When speaking to the baby unconsciously making weird ticking sounds. If the parents ask him to repeat them purposefully, you do it, he can’t. Profuse salivation during the speech interferes with the ability to communicate. Cruel peers begin to bully and tease the baby. As a result, he suffers psychological problems, reduced self-esteem.
Types of pathology
Depending on the characteristics of the sublingual frenulum and its elasticity, there are the following types of anomalies:
- Mild accompanied by the presence of a thin, transparent strand. It’s only slightly interfere with the movement of the tongue. The length of the cord is more than 15 mm. Upon detection of a pathology, can be carried out conservative treatment, not to resort to surgery. However, the quality of the applied therapy depends on the accuracy and commitment to its execution.
- The average degree. Thin, translucent bridle is fixed to the front edge almost at the tip of the tongue. In this case there is a violation of movement authority;
- Thick opaque bridle, fixed at the edge of the body. Appears related symptoms.
- In severe degrees, there is complete fusion of the mucous strand with language muscles. The length of the bridge is from 0 — 10 mm. the language is sharply limited. Surgical treatment at this stage are shown in mandatory.
Upon detecting features, the operation is performed between the ages of 0 to 9 months. If time is lost, actions can be done in 2 – 2, 6 years, subject to forsirovanno milk occlusion. After 5 years and in older age, manipulation is done in the dentist’s office. At the end of treatment you must visit a speech therapist. In case of refusal from the services of a specialist, there is a great risk of re-ankylosis.
In addition to the hyoid ligament, there are two bridles.
The top ligament is located between the upper lip and gums. For short inelastic cord that can develop following effects: malocclusion, periodontitis, hypersensitivity, cervical caries. Incorrect articulation is expressed in the wrong pronunciation of sounds «O «and «U». If 9 months is not an operation that must be done at the age of 7 -8 years.
The bottom bunch is above the front incisors. It is located between the lip and gingival mucosa. In the absence of timely treatment, in the future, the baby developing: malocclusion, diastema of lower front teeth, exposure of the necks, the cervical caries.
How to fix the situation
Conservative treatment is aimed at increasing the mobility and elasticity of the mucous hypoglossal cord. Data methods include: logopedic massage, articulation gymnastics. Usually the children do exercise, if adults accompany their jokes and games. Do not force to perform actions with force. It will not bring good results, and children will discourage any desire to do. Babies up to 3 years is enough to perform the exercises for 5 minutes 2-3 times a day. Remember, good results are only systematic classes!
In order to get rid of the disease, apply the following types of exercises:
- «Delicious jam». Play with your baby in a fun game. Imagine you are on holiday ate something delicious. You can now lick your lips. Show how it’s done. Stick out your tongue and slide it first through the upper and then lower lip.
- «Funny horse». Tell me what you eat on a visit to my grandmother on the horse. Show how she’s chattering. Explain how to zaryadom tongue to the sky, and then abruptly lower it down. You will hear a cheerful sound. Baby would be happy to repeat it again and again, enjoying and getting great use.
- «Nuts.» Ask the child to close his mouth. Even with the power rests on the tip of the tongue alternately first to the right and then the left cheek.
- «Long tongue». Invite him to stick his tongue. Let them try to pull it up to show his nose, then down to surprise the chin.
- «Strong tongue». Toddler have to open your mouth wide, stick out my tongue, stretch his tip to the upper incisors. Tell the baby that his tongue is very strong and does not close the mouth. Count to 5, we conclude the exercise.
Speech therapy massage is not a very pleasant procedure. How it is performed, shows a speech therapist at an in-person appointment. If the children are big, they can perform the massage yourself. Small, manipulation is one of the parents or speech therapist. It is important to perform actions only with clean hands, use sterile fingertips and napkins!
Surgical intervention is a method of getting rid of the problem
In the nursing home about short frenulum of tongue in children are reported by the neonatologist. For decision-making about the operation, enough of the opinions of the pediatrician. Tests before the procedure are not needed.
The older children are pre-additional methods of examination of blood and urine. In history there should be no such diseases, as Oncology, inflammatory processes of oral cavity, diseases of the blood. The decision on whether surgery take several specialists:
- Speech therapist;
In some cases, mild pathology, surgical intervention is not shown.
When deciding about surgical intervention (Frenulotomy) remember, the sooner it is implemented, the less the probability of occurrence of negative manifestations of disease. Making a choice, know that at the hospital the procedure is very quick and painless. The rehabilitation period is not required. Baby a few minutes after the manipulation of my mom and he is put to the breast. The discharge is carried out in due time.
After 9 months of age, frenulotomy is carried out using local anesthesia. The period of rehabilitation and healing be implemented within 12 – 30 hours. In some cases, shown frenuloplastika. Using the electrocoagulator or electric greatly simplifies the procedure, minimizes the risk of postoperative complications. After the treatment, the patient is recommended to refrain from hard, rough food, drink more fluids, and thoroughly to carry out dental hygiene. For early healing you can apply antiseptic rinsing solutions are permitted for this age group.