Tooth sensitivity during pregnancy — hypersensitivity
Tooth sensitivity during pregnancy, or hypersensitivity, is a common cause of seeking medical attention. This condition causes discomfort and restricts the diet and lifestyle. Hypersensitivity may develop even in a healthy person. The difficulty of such a situation while awaiting the birth of a baby is that in the treatment of tooth sensitivity, there are limitations to the use of drugs and some dental procedures.
Causes of hyperesthesia in pregnancy
The causes that provoke the sensitivity of tooth enamel:
- Blood circulation can be increased — this is a natural process required for delivery to the fetus of nutrients and oxygen. The increased blood flow can cause the gums will swell and the tooth enamel becomes overly sensitive.
- Hormonal changes occurring in the body of the expectant mother can also contribute to hypersensitivity. This is because changes in hormonal background of the significantly weaken a woman’s immune system is necessary to avoid the likelihood of rejection by the body of the child. Along with this weakened immune system allows you to enter various bacteria that leads to infection of the gums and cause periodontal disease in the mothers.
- Oral pathology, a form of which is hypersensitivity. If you do not deal with the treatment of identified problems, this process can progress to more serious disease, which is much complicated by bleeding and the possible accession of the infectious process. All this significantly complicate the process of treatment, because of the limited list of drugs approved for use in the waiting period of the child’s birth.
Pain can be divided into the following degrees:
- The sensitivity can be increased by eating hot or cold. Elektrovojvodina dentin is 8 µa.
- The tooth reacts to temperature and chemical factors. Elektrovozoremontnij — 5 µa.
- Tooth pain responds to any stimuli. Elektrovozoremontnij is 3.5 µa.
Treatment of hyperesthesia during pregnancy
Dental treatment in the period of carrying a child is shrouded in many myths prevalent among women awaiting the birth of a baby. For example, many are of the opinion that it is forbidden to do x-rays, inject anesthetic to pull a tooth out etc. This leads to the fact that very often future moms put off a visit to the dentist in fear of harm to the baby.
Thus, the maximum delaying going to the doctor, the woman can hurt not only themselves, provoking the destruction of the tooth, but also the future child, as the circumstances significantly increases the risk of infection. Can happen that there are no health problems of the oral cavity no: it’s just the hypersensitivity by itself, or you get a wisdom tooth.
To date, medicine offers dental problems oral hygiene for expectant mothers, is virtually identical to the services provided to all other people. The only exceptions are some procedures such as dentures and teeth whitening. Everything else can and should do, as it does not pose any threat neither for mother nor for the baby.
In today’s world, an x-ray of the tooth in pregnancy is carried out on the equipment, irradiating no more than 3 cm square body and in the affected area of the tooth, which eliminates the possibility risk to the fetus. This allows us to solve even the biggest problems with the oral cavity.
With regard to the treatment of the affected tooth during pregnancy, then there is no need in its removal or treatment without the use of anesthetics. Non-toxic anesthetics during dental treatment in pregnant women introduced in minor doses, is not able to exert any influence on the baby. If necessary, have the ability to use safe anesthesia.
Modern equipment allows for the most gentle removal of dead tissue from the cavity with caries, clearing canals and their subsequent filling. In addition, the dentist tries to save the affected tooth. Therefore, at the present time can and should go to the dentist for treatment of tooth during pregnancy, as it’s not painful, not scary and not dangerous.
Preventive measures against hyperesthesia during pregnancy
Taking a number of preventive measures, it is possible to easily prevent the development of tooth sensitivity. Most likely, the woman will need to exert a little more effort to care for the oral cavity. But it will allow the expectant mother to maintain healthy teeth and after the baby is born:
- It is recommended to replace old toothbrush. The need for this stems from the fact that on the old brush for the period of use has accumulated microbes. Along with this, the rigidity of the old toothbrush is unlikely to be adequate for the condition of the gums at the moment. In this case, preference should be given to the brushes with a soft but thin bristles. Misconception is the view that such a tool it would be much worse to cope with brushing. This brush, in contrast, can very well to remove plaque and food particles, even in those areas where the former did not get.
- Experts advise to use special toothpaste designed for sensitive teeth. In every second case, this method allows to cope with the problem without the intervention of a physician.
- Better to give up sweets. Sweet environment is favorable for bacteria to grow. Even if it so happened that the woman ate a piece of cake or candy, then immediately after this you need to clean the teeth or rinse the mouth.
- Along with the above recommendations, the experts suggest you to control the temperature of food consumed. To eliminate the likelihood of hyperesthesia, sometimes you just need to refuse hot or cold food and drinks.
However, it is not recommended to cancel trips to the dentist, because in this way it is possible to prevent the development of diseases is better than to engage in their treatment.
Traditional medicine in the fight against hypersensitivity
As a subsidiary tool in the fight against hypersensitive teeth can be used by traditional medicine:
- Very simple and effective remedy is milk. Drink should be warm, holding in the mouth for 15-20 seconds.
- To remove bad breath, to cope with the weakness of the gums and hypersensitivity will help the tea tree oil. To do this in a glass of warm boiled water dilute 3 drops of oil for rinsing the mouth and using this remedy 3-4 times a day.
- To strengthen enamel and reduce sensitivity it is necessary after each procedure of brushing your teeth rinse your mouth with a solution consisting of 1 Cup warm water and 1 tsp salt.
- A decoction of burdock will help to freshen breath and reduce tooth sensitivity. For this you need to boil 250 ml of water, which after boiling, throw in 1 tsp. of herb burdock and leave to boil for 2-3 minutes. After that it is necessary to remove the resulting broth from the heat and allow to steep for 1 hour. Rinse your mouth should be strained broth.
Daily massage of the gums, carried out with the fingers improves the circulation and nutrition of the teeth.
- Antibacterial, soothing and analgesic properties has an infusion of chamomile. To do this, 1 tablespoon of herbs, pour 1 Cup of boiled water and leave to infuse for one hour. Then, the resulting filtrate and rinse the cavity by up to 5 times during the day.
- An excellent remedy for almost all pathologies of the oral cavity is a decoction of oak bark, which has antiseptic and astringent properties. For its preparation you need in 200 ml of boiling water to throw 1 tbsp dried medicinal raw material and leave to boil for 5-7 minutes on low heat. After that, the broth should be cool, drain them and rinse the mouth 2-3 times a day.
All of the details and recipes are good helpers in the fight for healthy teeth and gums. May happen that after the baby is born the problem of tooth sensitivity will resolve itself. However, it should not, hoping for it, just to tolerate the resulting discomfort. In this case, the best way out of this situation is a visit to the dentist.