Toothache during pregnancy is something to numb the pain: medication, pill, remedy
No one is immune from the occurrence of tooth pain during pregnancy. Something to numb the inflamed gums or the pulp and whether it is possible to treat teeth in this period, we will discuss in this article.
Why do pregnant can hurt your teeth
During pregnancy the female body begins to work several in a great mode that leads to some changes in physiological processes, for example:
- due to the emergence of toxicity changes the acid-alkaline balance in the mouth;
- the saliva becomes more viscous and the amount of useful minerals is much reduced as trace elements go to the formation of the skeletal system of the child;
- the protective function of the body is much weaker, so the fruit is not perceived as a foreign body;
- hormonal changes causes changes in blood circulation and mineral metabolism;
- increases the number of circulating blood, in order to provide the child with the necessary oxygen.
All these factors lead to an increased risk of occurrence of dental diseases, such as:
- gingivitis (inflammation of gums);
- tooth decay (destruction of tooth enamel and dentin);
- pulpitis (a complication of tooth decay, which starts the inflammatory process in the pulp);
- hypersensitivity of teeth to thermal and chemical stimuli due to thinning of the enamel;
- periodontitis (inflammation of tissues surrounding the tooth).
To avoid all these problems it would be possible with timely prevention. Doctors knowingly insist during pregnancy planning to carry out a complete reorganization of the mouth. But, unfortunately or fortunately, not always the pregnancy was planned. In these situations, pathological processes that could take months or even years, suddenly start progressing rapidly. If you have a toothache, you’ll first need to remove the stimulus (most often it’s leftovers in a carious cavity).
Is it possible to treat teeth during pregnancy
There are situations in which special treatment is not required, after delivery everything will be fine (in this case, the doctor will tell you how to relieve toothache during pregnancy), and when the patient urgently needs medical help. Toothache is not only stressful for pregnant that much is reflected and not yet a child is born, but life-threatening cellulitis and sepsis. Purulent exudate may spread to adjacent organs, the jaw, the brain. Only a specialist can diagnose and make recommendations that can be used for the relief of pain. Therefore, the appearance of pain, especially if it is growing, urgent need to seek medical help. If there is no opportunity to consult a doctor immediately, for example, weekends or holidays, you need as quickly as possible to eliminate pain and inflammation with the help of medications that are allowed to receive during pregnancy, or traditional medicine.
To 35-36 weeks of gestation teeth can be treated without fear of possible harm to the child. A dentists safe and effective painkillers that will not affect the health of the mother or baby.
In the treatment of anesthesia is local, which minimizes the ingress of drugs into the bloodstream. If you want to install the seal in the tooth, where the pulp is not damaged and there is no purulent inflammation of the periodontium, the intervention is minimal and does not require anesthetic.
Usually, surgery, doctors postponed to the second trimester of pregnancy, to possible complications did not affect the child. At 12-16 weeks of gestation the placenta is formed, which protects the child from contact with harmful substances. If possible during treatment, to refuse anesthesia, then do not do it. Not recommended and x-rays. It is better to replace a study on computer radiovisiograph.
What medication toothache can take during pregnancy
Effectively able to relieve the pain medications, but during pregnancy they need to be careful, especially before the sixteenth week. All drugs can be divided into four groups:
- contraindicated during pregnancy and lactation;
- permitted only if the benefits outweigh the potential risks;
- permitted during pregnancy;
- extensive studies of the effects on the fetus have not been conducted (for herbal medicinal products).
To which group belongs the drug must be indicated in the annotation to it. Medications should be removed from the body by the kidneys and liver, and as already mentioned, during pregnancy the body works a little differently, so may have allergic or adverse reactions. Part of the drug penetrates into the blood of the child, and his system cannot handle this load.
Tablets for toothache during pregnancy should be taken only after consultation with your doctor. To authorised funds from toothache during pregnancy are:
- The paracetamol. It is considered most safe for a pregnant woman and her child. And although he’s not the most effective analgesic, but dealing with a toothache, will help. In addition, it has antipyretic and anti-inflammatory action;
- Nurofen. It is allowed to take during the first and second trimester but in the third it can reduce the amount of amniotic fluid;
- Riabal, But-shpa, Papaverine, are antispasmodic, that is, reduce the pain when removing spasm of blood vessels. These tools also help relax the uterus if it is in good shape;
- Ibuprofen relieves pain and swelling of the mucous tissue. It is not recommended to take in the third trimester of pregnancy.
- Aspirin. It is possible to drink only with a doctor’s permission, and only in the second trimester of pregnancy. It will not remove severe pain, but reduce it to tolerable.
Some believe that it is safer for toothache during pregnancy the use of topical preparations such as gels or ointments. But in fact most of them are banned, as are vegetable or animal poisons or Dimexidum. So before you remove the pain of such a tool, read the annotation. But you can use tools that are designed for babies when they teeth erupt (Kamistad, Kalgel, gel Holisal)
To take such potent drugs like Ketorol, Ketorolac, Ketanov, Dolac during pregnancy is not recommended.
In order to destroy pathogens and thereby relieve inflammation of the mucous membrane of the mouth, dentists recommend rinsing with antiseptic solutions. You can use Furatsilin, Chlorhexidine, Miramistin.
Acute toothache can help relieve the novocaine. The solution is dropped locally on the inflamed gums or a cavity, and you can also moisten a cotton swab and apply to the tooth. This tool is considered quite safe in pregnancy, but it is not in all cases effectively.
Medical remedy for toothache during pregnancy can be used not more than three days.
Traditional medicine for pain management
Most people believe that the drugs on plant material or made their own herbal teas and herbs do not have side effects. And if it don’t take in large doses it really is. Traditional medicine is not able to exert analgesic action, but they help reduce inflammation, destroy pathogens, promote rapid tissue repair. The most common and safe during pregnancy the remedies for toothache are:
|Fir and sea buckthorn oil.||Apply on a cotton ball and sinks to the bottom of carious cavity or applied to the gums.|
|«Asterisk».||A cotton swab impregnated with vegetable oil, then on top of it cause of Vietnamese balm. Fleece put into the cavity of the tooth.|
|A solution of salt or soda.||These substances that are in every home, helping to destroy pathogens. In a glass of water is taken one component, or both in the amount of one teaspoon. Solution rinse your mouth as often as possible.|
|Decoctions and infusions.||You can prepare herbal teas that will help to relieve inflammation in the oral cavity. For making use chamomile, sage, oak bark, grass, yarrow, leaves mother and stepmother, mint, series, St. John’s wort, calendula.|
|Powder cloves.||To relieve pain in people suggest to use the seasoning cloves. Sprinkled over the aching tooth.|
|Garlic.||Substances contained in garlic have antiseptic properties. It is recommended to attach to the tooth.|
|Aloe.||It relieves inflammation and disinfects. Leaf washed and cut along the cut applied to the gums for 5 minutes.|
Rinse will be many positive effects due to the tannins and release the cavity from trapped pieces of food that are irritants.
If you have a toothache, a little swelling will help cold compress. To cheek you can apply ice wrapped in a towel. If the cause of the pain accumulated pus, then its outflow suggest doing gargle with warm water with soda.
What not to do for toothache
In addition to these medicines are not recommended during pregnancy, one should not attempt to eliminate the pain syndrome in the following ways:
- put honey on the tooth. It contributes to the development of caries, as it is a nutrient substrate for microorganisms;
- to warm up the sore area using warmers. This will only increase the process and cause complication of purulent periodontitis;
- to apply Aspirin to the gums. The active chemicals can cause a chemical burn.
If you are not able to visit the dentist before pregnancy, you must do this as early as possible. The dentist will assess the condition of the oral cavity and, if necessary, prescribe preventative treatment, or will tell you what you want to pay special attention. You may need and treatment of the disease at an early stage.
Will help keep during pregnancy teeth health the following recommendations:
- increase the intake of calcium and phosphorus. They are found in cheese, milk, fish, cheese, nuts. One trace mineral is not absorbed, if not the second, so do not neglect special vitamin-mineral complexes;
- to care for the oral cavity to devote more time. Twice a day brushing your teeth, use dental floss and mouthwash should get in the habit of the pregnant woman;
- to massage the gums with your fingers.
Before taking any pain medicine, pregnant women should consult their gynecologist doctor is it possible to drink. As drugs can have different effects on the body, for example, to influence a pregnant woman to blood pressure, induce relaxation of smooth muscles, to thin the blood. Teeth pregnant women should be treated necessarily, because during pain secretes the hormone adrenaline, which affects the fetus. Than dentistry and whether anesthesia will be decided by the dentist after diagnosis.