Types of braces: some braces are better to put the stages of treatment
Straight teeth, correct bite, beautiful smile… no doubt, all this gives confidence, and harmonizes the appearance, improves diction, and overall has a beneficial impact on human adaptation in society. But also do not forget: the state of dentoalveolar apparatus is closely associated with the digestive system, ENT-organs, spine and body in General. Today with the help of the braces to hold the correction of dentofacial anomalies even in adulthood. So, let’s see, what are braces and why are they needed in dentistry? A detailed look at the basic elements that make up the braces different types of braces, stages of treatment, the strengths and weaknesses of each system.
Even just 30 years ago not even all local orthodontists could answer the question, what is the bracket system. In the world this technique has been in use since 1955, while in Russia used only around 1990. Now medical literature provides much information about what are the different types of braces, how is the correction of the bite, which affects the treatment results.
Braces is a fixed plate (clasps), which are due to chemical (material) and mechanical (notches on the inner side) adhesion attached to the teeth. Only with the help of some locks to achieve bite correction is impossible. So the braces are an integral component of the system, but not the only one. Besides them, the set includes arcs and alloys.
Mechanism of action
So, let’s look at how the braces? After a stage production of the plates themselves, the orthodontist in their places arc groove, which is fixed with a special ligature, superimposed on top of the wings locks. From this moment begins the process of tooth movement, the duration of which depending on the complexity of the initial situation can reach 3 years or more.
To achieve the planned results the doctors after a certain period of time the change of arcs (as the diameter and cross section). That is, the arc acts as the active element, due to the effect of the malocclusion.
The principle of the self-ligating braces systems is slightly different. The basis of this technique is fixation of the arc is not using ligatures, but due to the clip-latch that is part of the same plate. Free sliding of the arc in the groove decreases the friction coefficient. Accordingly, the force required to move teeth, is attached low.
So what are braces better to put: actual or self-ligating? It all depends on:
- clinical situation;
- financial capacity of the patient, because the cost of self-ligating systems is much higher.
It should be noted: now, many orthodontists choose ligature method, as the optimal variant of correction. Although they write that the use of self-ligating technique reduces the duration of treatment using braces almost 20%, but the inability to actual activation may suspend the movement of teeth. That is why there is a new self-ligating options of plates with wings for ligature fixation of the device.
Indications, stages of correction
In the previous section we discussed how the bracket system. Now, let’s consider why you need braces what are the medical indications for their use.
Treatment with braces may be conducted in:
- Wrong position of the teeth (pan, tilt relative to the Central axis).
- Dental malocclusions.
- Irregular shape of the dental arches series.
Stages of treatment with braces include:
- During the first visit to a clinical examination, assessment of tooth position, determine the state of occlusion. Before treatment, the doctor removes the casts. From additional studies are shown orthopantomography and teleradiography (x-ray of the skull in lateral projection). All this will help the orthodontist to make an accurate diagnosis and to make treatment.
- The second stage is the laboratory in which techniques according to the obtained casts casts a model and passes them to the doctor.
- On the basis of model calculations, the data OPG and TRG, the orthodontist determines the best technique correction. Tells the patient, why the need for braces and what braces are best put to the individual clinical situation.
- Before the beginning of orthodontic treatment need dental health. Multiple retention points in the form of the plates themselves contribute to the accumulation of food residues, which leads to the development of microorganisms, the defeat of hard tissues of the tooth, the appearance of gingivitis and periodontitis. Therefore, it is essential to pre-treat caries and its complications, as orthodontic correction of malocclusion can aggravate the situation.
- Teeth alignment braces starts with their performances. First arc are of small diameter, and then gradually increase in size and change in cross-section, it increases the pressure on the teeth.
- Retention — the final stage of correction. After removing the plates, the doctor locks the retainer. Many people ask about how to look devices, the effect of which is to hold the achieved result. In most cases the use of a metal arc fixed on the inner side of the teeth, or dental mouth guard.
What system should I choose?
In this section, we talk about what are the braces. Will reply to the question how to choose braces, what should first pay attention.
We offer you to familiarize with the classification of the varieties of braces.
- sapphire crystal;
- The type of fixation:
- The type of ligation:
- active ligation;
- passive ligation;
- At the place of production:
- vestibular (put braces on the outside, visible to others, the side of the teeth);
- lingual (braces fixed to the teeth on the inside).
If we consider the financial component of treatment, the braces can be conditionally divided into the most expensive (lingual) and economy. option – metal. Ceramic systems due to a good combination of indicator quality/price, are among the most popular.
How to choose braces? To figure out which option is the best fit, we offer you to answer the following questions:
- How important is aesthetics? Public you people, or not?
- Valid whether (and how) changes in diction?
- The estimated treatment time?
- What a level of comfort, reliability?
- What is the reasonable cost of the correction?
Of course, in each situation the doctor chooses the optimal methodology required to align the dentition, bite. But all of the above points will be taken into account.
These types of braces along with good durability, have high technical characteristics. Different companies offer your design and size records. But now, the profile of metal structures the most graceful. And it significantly reduces the discomfort during the adaptation period. Also undoubted advantage of this system is the low coefficient of friction between the arc and the groove, which reduces the duration of the correction.
Weaknesses of the art experts call:
- low aesthetic features (metal types of braces are clearly visible on the teeth);
- increased risk of allergic reactions, galvanize.
Ceramic systems presented constructions, which are made from polycrystalline aluminum oxide. Due to the low transparency of the ceramics, these are the best braces for teeth brushed. The size of plates on average is slightly higher than the metal counterparts. And increased friction in the groove reduces the speed of movement. There is also a downside and experts attribute the high fragility of the braces. But unlike metal structures, ceramic:
- Are aesthetic, as well as less visible on the teeth.
- Much less likely to cause allergies.
Suitable for people who have in the first place – aesthetics. Made of crystalline aluminum oxide. And it makes them invisible on the teeth with clear enamel.
But in addition to high aesthetic characteristics, these types of braces are very fragile, more metal, and due to the increased friction, the correction to last longer. In difficult clinical situations ineffective.
Which braces to choose public person? Invisible lingual systems are appealing to many. Fixing plates on the inner side of the teeth making them completely invisible to others. And it does not matter what structure enamel: transparent or opaque? But keep in mind that in setting this system in patients observed a pronounced deterioration diction (especially at first).
By cons lingual techniques also include:
- Difficult adaptation period:
- soreness, injury language;
- the increased discomfort.
- Insufficient conditions to ensure high quality of hygiene of the oral cavity.
- High cost.
While strong crowding, low clinical crowns, problems with the joint is better to use classical methods.
Self-ligating design: Damon, Clarity SL
These braces are deprived of the actual commit. Hold the arc in the groove is carried out by latches. The period of adaptation tolerated by patients much easier. Because of the low forces acting on the teeth of the magnitude comparable with the physiological. And it reduces both the severity of pain and the likelihood of complications. The process of reconstruction of bone tissue are gradual.
But the lack of active ligation can to some extent block the process of moving. The developers took into account these shortcomings, and in sale there are combination designs, which, along with passive ligation, the opportunity and actual fixation, activation of the equipment.
Aligners: OrthoSnap, Invisalign
This silicone braces, looks radically different from traditional designs. Is a transparent mouth guard, whose manufacture takes place individually according to the obtained print. Align the teeth often using 20 or more drops Are always, during a food shoot.
- Aligners treat aesthetic systems. Due to the transparency of the silicone they are not visible on the teeth.
- There are all necessary conditions to ensure high quality hygiene.
- Do not injure the mucous membrane.
But along with positive aspects, there are drawbacks. This is a high cost, low efficiency when used in more complex cases.
Due to the large range of orthodontic appliances, aesthetic and functional characteristics, correction of occlusion can be performed at any age. Remember: the treatment efficiency is determined not only by the qualifications of the dentist, from your assistance much depends. Good, the desired results can be achieved only if responsible for implementation of all recommendations of the orthodontist.