Wedge-shaped defect teeth causes and treatment
Wedge-shaped defect is one of the pathological conditions under which people turn to dentists. It is characterized by the appearance of V — shaped grooves, with the base directed towards the inside of the cavity. The flaw is located on the buccal surface, when running situations quite well visible to others. Aside from destroying the aesthetics, patients complain of the appearance of increased sensitivity when eating: sour, sweet, salty foods. Treatment wedge-shaped defect should be completed on time, to avoid unpleasant consequences. It is noticed that the disease has nothing to do with carious pathology. Even in the last stages of the disease, the enamel is glossy and smooth surface. The bottom always remains tight, has a smooth edge.
The origin of the disease
Until now, the nature of the pathology remains incompletely understood. Dentists emit predisposing factors that contribute to the onset and progression of wedge-shaped defects:
- Mechanical factors. If the bite is correct, there is a uniform load on all dental units. If he is a pathological, pressure with greater severity accounted for only a portion of them. In this case, the appearance of wedge-shaped defect. Over time people notice the presence of unpleasant education in the oral cavity. If it is not addressed, it is likely to completely break a tooth crown while eating.
It’s hard to believe, but dental units, despite the strong structure, when chewing a bit bent and back. This happens systematically at every meal. Enamel subjected to great pressure and as a result, there is a vertical microscopic bending. Gradually, in the cervical region, appears cracks. Over time they grow and form a V — shaped recess. The flaws affected mostly canines, molars, premolars. They are very much load in the process of the act of biting and chewing. Most often, a stepped protrusion appears on the front surface of the symmetric teeth of one jaw.
The implementation of hygienic care with hard brushes, use of abrasive toothpastes, the provision of a large load during the cleaning of the dental units that help the disease to progress and develop at an accelerated pace.
- Adverse conditions in the oral cavity. The theory is based on the belief that the pathology arises as a result of negative impacts on the enamel of aggressive substances. These include: acidic foods (juices, fruits), carbonated beverages.
Strong infusion of rose hips often used to support the immune system can cause destruction of the enamel. It is necessary to drink through a straw. After the drink is consumed, rinse the mouth with clean water.
Effervescent soda gradually leach calcium from the bone structures that lead to the appearance of dental pathologies. Their use is recommended to reduce, if possible eliminate completely.
While eating, watch for temperature fluctuations. Remember that simultaneous alternating hot and too cold food – unacceptable!
- Somatic diseases directly lead to pathologies of the oral cavity. Defects often occur in people suffering from gastrointestinal disease. In connection with the disease is the reflux of acid contents into the mouth. As a result, conditions are favourable for the development of system education.
Diabetes disrupts the metabolism of calcium, it affects the enamel.Osteoporosis is characterized by decrease in density and strength of bone tissue. Shock is a powerful mechanism for the emergence of step-like protrusion. Osteoporosis often occurs in women in the menopausal stage.
Nervous and mental disorders, lead to changes in metabolic processes. Hormonal disorders, disturbed metabolism, which affects the strength of the bone tissue of dental units.
Periodontitis and periodontal disease often associated with wedge-shaped defects. Disease significantly accelerate the process of development of pathology, impair the chances of fast recovery.
- Age peculiarities. The disease develops mainly in people of middle and old age, when there are concomitant factors. Interestingly, in the elderly, pain sensitivity when eating is a major concern of patients is much less. It is this feature that makes patients come to the dentist, quite a long time.
At wedge-shaped defects of teeth causes and treatment differ depending on the factors that caused the pathology.
How is the flaw
Pathology progresses quite slowly. Sometimes it develops over many years. There are the following stages of the development speed of education:
- The initial stage. At the neck of the tooth there is a small microscopic crack. It is not noticeable to others, there are no symptoms;
- The first stage of formation, characterized by the appearance of small holes. It can be seen. Size of pathology is very small and is not more than 0.1 mm. At this stage, the patient does not feel unpleasant symptoms, has no complaints;
- The second stage of development, accompanied by a deepening of the wedge formation. Visually observed the presence of V — shaped defect. The nidus twice increased in size and is 0.3 mm. in many patients, at this stage there is a number of first clinical manifestations: pain when eating, discomfort when meeting with cold air, when cleaning of the dental units. Typically, the response occurs on acidic, salty, sweet, spicy food. Sensitivity can be observed in the use of hot and cold drinks.
- The third stage of the disease, is a critical stage. Visually there is quite a big flaw at the base of the neck of the tooth units. It reaches a size 0, 5 mm, affects the pulp, pulpitis occurs. In this case, a person complains of pain, which intensified during night time. Constant pain compels the patient to postpone the Affairs and to come on reception to the expert.
Sometimes, the body activates the compensatory mechanism in place of the enamel is produced by the layer of dentin. In this case, the inflammation does not appear. If the disease affects the nerve fibers, unpleasant sensations do not occur very often. They appear when eating, while brushing your teeth. People come to the dentist, complaining of pain and ugly presence of pathological formation in the oral cavity.
Treatment wedge-shaped defect teeth, is experienced physician. Only he will examine, if necessary refer the patient for additional examination methods. Complication of the disease are: increased sensitivity to pain, caries, pulpitis, periodontitis, if untreated, pulpitis, bummer of a tooth crown.
Differential diagnosis of flaw is carried out with the following dental pathology: cervical caries, erosion of the hard tissues of the tooth, necrosis of the cervical enamel. Tactics of treatment depends on the factors that caused the disease.
What to do if I see an ugly flaw
Treatment of the defect in the initial stages of its formation, is not complexity. It is in the remineralization of the enamel tissue. You need to go through the entire course of therapy. The procedure is completely painless and even enjoyable. During them, the dentist puts a special of an application with the calcium gluconate. In subsequent visits, conducts fluoridation with toothpaste. If necessary, the doctor prescribes the patient the preventive use of special fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash for the mouth. Therapy is accompanied by the simultaneous intake of vitamins and minerals in pill form.
To more radical methods of treatment, it is necessary to resort on the medium and critical stages of development of pathology. In most cases, it is necessary to apply several therapeutic actions.
Wedge-shaped defect teeth treatment:
- The restored with filling materials. The idea is seems to be the most appropriate form of resolving the issue. At one time, you can completely eliminate the disease and to achieve high aesthetics. However, it is not so simple. The restoration work is difficult, due to the presence of standing water at the neck of the tooth. Even solving this problem, there are other. Namely, the shape of pathological projection contributes to poor adhesion of the seal. In the process of chewing, she often falls and it is not the fault of the dentist. Defect, it is expedient to adjust the filling materials only with a high degree of elasticity. In the course of treatment, the doctor creates a special notch that seal better stick to the walls of the tooth and keeps longer in the right place.
During treatment, is not required to conduct a dissection.
It is clear that restoration is not the best method and is used only as a temporary fix the problem.
- The veneers will help you to quickly solve the problem. People get rid of pain sensitivity. Flaw is completely hidden behind a thin wall of ceramic plates. However, this method does not solve the problem completely. Remains a high probability of breakup of the crown. Veneers, the passage of time, as well as the seals need to be replaced with a new one.
- Dentures crowns is a good way of getting rid of the wedge-shaped defect. A person can choose ceramic or metal-ceramic option. Protective caps reliably protect the tooth unit. After carrying out orthopaedic work, completely eliminating the pain when eating. The big drawback is that after the prosthesis, and other dental unit will continue to happen high blood pressure. The remaining unprotected teeth are exposed to the risk of the emergence of cuneiform education.
- Orthodontic treatment is elimination of pathological bite. As a result, you receive the uniform load on all dental unit, removed the main cause of illness. Therapy is carried out by braces, vestibular plates, special trays of trainers.
- Treatment of opportunistic diseases, has a positive effect on oral health.
Need to know
Undergoing therapy at the doctor, be sure to observe the following rules:
- Eat well. Enrich the diet with fruits, vegetables, cereals, herbs, fish, seafood, meat. Be sure to eat foods containing natural calcium: milk, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, sour cream, sesame seeds, poppy seeds.
- Use a soft toothbrush in the care of the oral cavity. Do not use abrasive whitening toothpastes without the appointment of a specialist;
- Use dental floss, mouthwash for oral cavity;
- Clean dental unit in the direction from the neck to the cutting edge;
- Do not take simultaneously hot and cold food and drinks.
In order to be able to detect the presence of disease and treat it painlessly, visit your dentist every 6 -7 months!