What is the difference from caries pulpitis: how to distinguish
To keep healthy teeth is not so easy due to poor oral hygiene, plenty of sweet and just junk food in the human diet, a rare visit to the dentist and other factors. As a result, almost everyone at least once was treated from caries or pulpitis, the two most common dental diseases. These two diseases can be similar and their own people is difficult to define their symptoms. What is the difference from caries pulpitis, what is the difference in their symptoms and treatment?
What is tooth decay and pulpitis
Far from dentistry only vaguely imagine the dental pattern of these two diseases, so before looking at the differences between them, you need to understand what are the caries and pulpitis.
Caries — a long destructive process characterized by gradual destruction of the hard tissues of the tooth (enamel and dentin). This disease begins with small foci of destruction, which is the first stage, and ends with deep destruction of tooth crowns — the fourth stage.
Pulpitis is the inflammatory process in the vascular tissues of the tooth — the pulp resulting from the fact that the outer hard shell are destroyed or damaged, the tooth cavity get food debris and pathogens. The disease develops fairly quickly, over time the symptoms of inflammation increase.
After reading the above information, we can understand that these two diseases are linked.
Caries tooth decay in the last stage is one of the main causes of the pulpit.
Because of this they can be confused among themselves at the initial examination, if not pay attention to the symptoms.
To distinguish the decay from the pulpit, you need to pay attention to the symptoms the person is experiencing. Due to the fact that these two diseases are associated with lesions in different tissues, their expression will be different.
The symptoms of caries are:
- aching pain in the tooth when consuming hot or cold products;
- an unpleasant tingling sensation when eating acidic juices, too sweet fizzy drinks;
- caries tooth can create discomfort when chewing crunchy (crackers, chips, candies) or dense (meat, vegetables, cereals) products;
- when you click on the darkened areas of destruction of hard tissue with a special dental device they are pressed, but the patient does not feel intense pain.
The important thing to remember is that certain factors (temperature, acidity, viscosity of food) causes discomfort in the region of caries only during his action (for example, when chewing or swallowing food/liquid), but as soon as it stops the discomfort passes.
To recognize pulpitis can be such symptoms:
- if a person has acute pulpitis, pain in the tooth radiates to jaw, can occur without the influence of any factors and continue for a long time;
- if a person has chronic pulpitis, aching discomfort often occurs under the influence of chemical (temperature, acidity) or mechanical (chewing, pressure) factors, but it is their actions after 10-15 minutes;
- the patient is often enlarged lymph nodes under the jaw, and if the pulpitis is not treated for a long time, inflamed lymph nodes behind the ears and on the neck;
- cheek on the side where the tooth with inflamed pulp is slightly swollen, swelling is particularly noticeable in the mornings.
- a person may keep constant slightly elevated temperature, headache.
It is for long or wanton pain dentists can differentiate pulpitis from dental caries, as even the initial examination is sometimes misleading.
Differences in the treatment of
How to distinguish carious lesions from tooth pulpitis symptoms — is understandable, but is therapy in these diseases. The treatment of these issues has some similar stages, but it is not identical, so the dentist must conduct a qualitative diagnosis, to help the patient.
Treatment of caries
Treatment of dental caries today is very easy, if the patient in time to see a doctor and prevented massive destruction of the hard tissues of the tooth. The procedure takes place in several stages:
- First, the practitioner determines which tissue is affected by caries and cannot recover, then he removes them from the surface of the tooth using a drill.
- The sides and bottom of carious cavity must be sanded before applying the medication and close it, because the microscopic cracks can remain bacteria.
- When a cavity is prepared, it is poured or lay antibacterial agent.
- After antiseptic, the hole in the tooth needs to close. If it’s deep, the dentist will put on the bottom of the cavity with a special gasket if the depth is small — you can skip this step.
- On top of the strip or tooth is superimposed the seal of the chosen material (optimally, take polymeric or gypsum with fluorine and silver).
- After the sealing surface must be thoroughly sanded, because the pores and small cracks in the material would not only reduce the shelf life of the material, but also become a «shelter» for bacteria.
Treatment of dental caries
This scheme of treatment of dental caries suitable in cases when the degradation is small. If the patient later went to the doctor and the surface of the tooth is quite badly damaged, he’ll need a tooth restoration which is made by using:
- adhesive materials;
- a partial prosthesis;
- installation of crowns.
To choose the method of restoration will be the dentist depending on the magnitude of tooth decay and budget of the patient. It is important to understand what the tooth restoration will cost several times more expensive than a simple filling treatment, so you need time to see a doctor.
Treatment of pulpitis
Treatment of pulpitis is a long and complex process that requires not only professionalism of the dentist, but the compliance of patients to certain rules during the recovery period after the procedure. Inflammation of the pulp is often accompanied by destruction of the upper tissue, as with dental caries, so the beginning of therapy looks like:
- The doctor at the time of diagnosis determines which side of the inflamed tooth pulp, checks for the presence of surface caries.
- The upper layer of the hard tissue is removed using a drill is needed to remove the decayed hard tissue and reach the pulp.
- Measures are being taken to resolve the inflammation (of which more will be later).
- After the elimination of inflammation the surface of the tooth is sealed, either with extensive destruction of the hard tissues, be filled with the adhesive material, the prosthesis or crown.
The elimination of the inflammation of the pulp there are two types: with preservation of the connective tissue or removing it. «Keep alive» blood of the tooth can be used only if patient is less than 25-27 years old and he went to the doctor in the early stages of pulpitis. The therapy includes the use of anti-inflammatory and antiseptic preparations. If the person is older or he already progressing pulpitis, pulp, the cure does not work, it must be removed. The first is the preferred treatment option, as the preservation of the connective tissue will not break the power of the tooth.
Treatment of pulpitis is much more difficult, so it will cost several times more expensive than therapy for caries, as it will last longer, and after it the patient will have to wait for the recovery of a few weeks.
To differentiate pulpitis from dental caries using the symptoms of these diseases, but often independently, it is impossible to determine, so it’s worth the time to go to the dentist. Carious lesions of the tooth to be treated is cheaper and easier, but to get rid of the pulpit (which is often neglected caries) is more difficult and more expensive, so do not delay.