What kind of doctor treats tongue: which doctor to go if my tongue hurts
What kind of doctor treats language — interested in the patients in cases of discomfort and pain in the mouth in the area of the authority responsible for the taste and pronunciation of sounds. Similar symptoms can be caused by a variety of reasons. Often thus manifested an inflammatory process of infectious nature. All organs and body systems are interconnected so that changes in language can indicate the presence of diseases in other parts of the body, located at a considerable distance from the mouth.
Features of the anatomical structure of the language
Part of the language consists of groups of muscles and overlying mucous membrane, which are lymphoid follicles. The authority consists of three departments: tops (tip), body and root. The upper part of the tongue is called the dorsum. On its surface are papillae with lots of nerve endings that provide the sense of taste and temperature of food.
The appearance of language can help to diagnose diseases of different organs:
- the edge of the top indicates the status of the heart and lungs;
- the middle part of the back, you can get information about the liver, pancreas, spleen;
- on the tongue is the area associated with the stomach, is slightly below the side portions of the region, showing the condition of the kidneys.
Choosing the right specialist
What to do if you have a language, who to approach for medical assistance? For the patient, faced with such a problem, a question, which doctor to take the voucher to the reception, naturally. You may need the advice of several specialists. First, visit an otolaryngologist — an ENT doctor. A thorough examination of the oral cavity, upper respiratory tract will help to identify the causes of pain and prescribe treatment.
In some cases, the unpleasant effects may be caused by inflammatory processes associated with the condition of the teeth or gums. In the presence of caries, periodontal disease, stomatitis need to go to the dentist. Inflammation of the mucous membranes of the mouth and tongue must be treated comprehensively, eliminating calling it the source of the infection. The use of prescription antiseptics, vitamin complexes will allow in the fastest time possible to improve the condition, prevent the recurrence of the disease.
In the absence of visible signs of inflammation, you can contact the therapist. The cause of the pain may be in the General condition of the body or in pathological changes in other organs. Modern methods of diagnostics enable detection of diseases at an early stage, with timely treatment it is possible to achieve complete elimination of disturbing symptoms or significantly reduce their severity. Sometimes, sore tongue is caused by disturbances in the endocrine system. For example, if you notice it increasing then visit an endocrinologist.
Much attention in the definition of a disease of language is given to note the symptoms. Very often it is the condition associated with the gastrointestinal tract. Having a direct relationship to the digestive system, it can signal about diseases of its member bodies.
May include the following symptoms:
- changing the color of the mucosa of the tongue;
- the deterioration of mobility of the organ due to swelling of tissues;
- dryness in the mouth as a result of dysfunction of the salivary glands;
- the sensation of pain, irritation, itching;
- bad breath;
- the appearance of surface cracks or tends to merge weeping erosions;
- the defeat not only mucosal, but also located deeper muscle tissues;
- in chronic course there is a violation of speech.
In normal condition the tongue has a pale pink color, its surface shows a thin layer of plaque, performs a protective function.
If it becomes more pronounced and acquires a cheesy consistence, suspected viral infection of the lining of the mouth or the development of thrush. Also white patches appears when dehydration.
Blanching language often is noted in patients who have undergone antibiotic therapy. This symptom could also indicate poor diet, insufficient intake of vitamins from food, not drinking enough fluids. Tremor of the tongue and the asymmetric location of its mouth — signs of disorders of the nervous system. They can indicate the development of such severe diseases as stroke and multiple sclerosis. In these cases it is necessary to consult a neurologist.
What to look for when self-observation of the tongue
When anemia occurs when the decrease in hemoglobin level language becomes dry, the color fades. If it was violet, it is possible to assume the presence of lung disease or disease of the circulatory system. Significant redness and swelling of the right side of the tongue characteristic of the liver if increased and hyperemic left side, it signals the deterioration of the spleen
The appearance of a rough thickening may indicate the presence of mental disorders, impaired hormone production by the endocrine system. In diseases of the stomach the appearance of dry cracks on the surface of the tongue. Its mucous membrane becomes bright red or yellow-green color in violation of the outflow of bile during exacerbations of peptic ulcer disease. Change appearance of language is not the basis for the diagnosis, necessary medical examination of the body for pathology and effective treatment.
The causes of pain in the language
Sore tongue can be caused by a variety of factors. It may signal a mechanical organ damage or the development of the disease. The following causes of pain:
- Injury to tissues of the body in food or as a result of mechanical impact.
- An increase in hyoid lymph nodes. Observed in the inflammation associated with contact with infections, and also in the appearance of malignant tumors.
- Disease of the salivary glands.
- An allergic reaction to any substance, side effect of the drug.
- Anemia caused by iron deficiency or vitamin b 12 in the body.
- The emergence of viral ulcers by reducing the protective functions of the organism under the influence of stress, chronic fatigue.
- The manifestation of glossalgia — pain and burning on the tongue. Such a violation is more common in women after 30 years.
- The development of glossitis inflammatory process involving the surface or deep tissues of the tongue.
- Infection ringworm.
- Irritation of the tongue with frequent Smoking.
- Contact with well enough established or customized dentures.
Pain caused by piercing
Often the pain are caused by trendy cosmetic procedure — piercing. Sometimes it is the result of nerve damage, in other cases mechanical irritation of the puncture site or getting into the wound pathogenic bacteria with the appearance of inflammation and formation of pus. Possible allergic reaction to the metal used for the manufacture of the product.
Varieties of forms of glossitis
Experts identify many types of pathologies of language. They can occur in an acute form, or be chronic. Lesions caused by different factors, their symptoms can also manifest with significant differences.
- Catarrhal. Is an acute inflammation of the upper layers of the mucosa of the tongue. Marked mechanical tissue damage with the appearance of pronounced swelling and redness. May be complicated by penetration and multiplication in the wound of bacteria, the appearance of thrush. In some cases, catarrhal glossitis indicates dysfunction of the gastrointestinal tract or the diseases of infectious nature.
- Desquamative. Also known as «geographic tongue». When inflammation occurs dystrophic processes in the mucous membrane, with the result that on the back red spots surrounded by white areas.
- Mycotic. Is caused by fungi of the genus Candida. Active reproduction of these microorganisms occurs by reducing the immunity. Appears white bloom with curd structure, small swelling.
- Ulcerative. Often marked with stomatitis Vincent, as part of the inflammatory process, covering the oral mucosa. Symptomatically manifested by the formation of plaque in dark gray, under which there are bleeding erosion. The disease is characterized by a sharp breath.
The symptoms of glossitis
Most often brings unpleasant sensations in the tongue glossitis. In the occurrence of the inflammatory process involved pathogens. In some cases, glossitis accompanied by other types of pathologies.
The disease manifests itself:
- pain and burning in the tongue;
- swelling of tissues;
- difficulty pronunciation of words, chewing food;
- the plaque (its color depends on the factor that caused the inflammation);
- violation of salivation and salivation;
- to change the perception of taste;
- ulcers and erosions on the tongue;
- unpleasant mouth odor.
Glossitis can occur when blood circulation in the capillaries of the mucous membrane of the tongue. The disease can cause damage to its integrity, the burn of hot tea.
Typically, the wound healing occurs quickly thanks to the bacteriostatic properties of saliva. If the glossitis is manifested as a symptom of diseases of other organs, to remove it is necessary comprehensive treatment of the violations.
Chronic form of glossitis
These include folded and rhomboid glossitis. This is a congenital anomaly. When folded glossitis on the surface of the language are bi-directional folds. Often the disease is accompanied by profound chronic flowing the inflammation of the tissues. When diamond-shaped pathology at the midline of the tongue occurring inflammatory lesion in the form of a rhombus.
Diagnosis and treatment
Diagnosis is based on the study of symptoms, the oral examination, analysis of the composition of the microflora in the area of the inflamed portion of the language. To this end, a bacterial sowing of material taken. Blood tests can detect anemia or to confirm the assumption about the allergic nature of the patient’s disturbing symptoms.
After the diagnosis doctor prescribes medication, rinse your mouth with antiseptics (chlorhexidine, furacilin). In case of pain syndrome apply solutions of anesthetics, for example benzocaine. With mildly expressed inflammation can help rinse decoction of herbs.
In difficult cases, such as phlegmon of the tongue, may require surgical treatment with removal nekrotizirovannah tissue. In the postoperative period is assigned to take antibiotics. For the prevention of diseases of language, one should observe hygiene of the oral cavity.