White patches on the tongue in the adult and child: causes, treatment
Everyone knows that the white coating on the tongue in an adult and child always means some kind of problem. Find out the causes of this symptom and prescribe the right treatment – the physician. To find out what disease has caused such a manifestation is necessary because only by eliminating the real cause, you can get rid of plaque.
Ancient healers noticed that disorders of the internal organs often appear on the tongue. And besides the obvious symptoms varies its hue, the formation of plaque, erosions, ulcers, and sometimes there is swelling and pallor. In some cases this body first responds to internal problems. It is believed that while the language remain in the residue even when the disappearance of other symptoms, the disease is completely cured.
The condition of the oral cavity in many respects may indicate the internal signals of the body. Sometimes it is a serious disease, and in some cases only a local reaction to bacteria or a minor injury. However, it is often concerned with the question of what does it mean if white tongue or there were some other discomfort associated with it.
By itself, the RAID is the result of keratinization of the filiform papillae located across the entire surface of the tongue. When such dead cells are overwhelmed and they become dense, hard to clean off, the man sees changes in the color and condition of the body. And it gets at least an aesthetic problem, even if no discomfort at this.
Usually at night there are different deposits from saliva, collected bacteria, food debris and color of the tongue has a white shade. Because of this, the morning always there is an unpleasant smell, which we’re trying to clean using hygienic procedures. Alarming will be the fact that after processing the surface of the teeth and tongue mucosa again soon collected sediments. This is a clear signal that there is a problem either in the mouth or at the level of the internal organs.
In addition to plaque, there are other symptoms that are much more troubles and make the patient to pay attention to the altered state of the body. To ignore this is not like to self-medicate. In any case, you need to determine what are the symptoms and eliminate the root cause.
However, as there are some internal diseases on the appearance of the mucosa, is a science, as glossodynia. It helps to distinguish by position, colour and other characteristics of the plaque, which of diseases is likely to struck someone. Often language becomes the first sign of problems with the body and if it is ignored, then there will be other symptoms indicating a more serious and acute disease.
How to look like language?
To understand that there were any signs of the disease, want to know exactly how the language in the rule. And this:
- the usual dimensions, without a sensation of swelling;
- a uniform shade of pale pink;
- papillae not prominent, without excessive redness and not increased;
- in the mouth wet enough to not feel discomfort;
- normal sensitivity to tastes;
- normal functionality and mobility of the tongue;
- when a light of a light touch, it can be easily removed;
- breath pleasant or it does not.
If this body you will not bother, looks healthy and normal, it means that everything is in order. Any changes in his condition can be noticed in the morning or in the evening and usually people can see that there is some extra education. This should be alerted and be an occasion for a detailed diagnosis of your health.
When should I worry?
If there is any slightest change, you should contact the experts and pass the appropriate tests to confirm what the tongue coated with white bloom. To the doctor should go to counseling in such cases:
- felt swelling increases the body becomes uncomfortable to talk, and sometimes remain with the marks of teeth;
- on any of the parts of the tongue or along the whole surface there is a RAID, even after cleansing quickly formed again;
- on the sides it can become inflamed;
- feels dry in the mouth;
- with the defeat of the papillae there is a reddening and magnification, they look like bumps on the tongue or as red dots on different parts of the surface;
- there are unpleasant sensations caused by irritation, like a hair or other foreign object in your mouth, sometimes baking or nibbling the language itself;
- together with this, forms a viscous saliva, and you may receive extra flavour.
- distinct bad breath that persists even after brushing or rinsing.
These symptoms may be combined with each other or appear just one of them. In any case, it suggests that you should pay attention to their health. And if normal language is covered white coating in the mornings only and can be easily removed with a brush, then when the disease, he quickly formed again, and depends on the quality of care.
Causes of white patches on the tongue
How is it formed such a RAID? Phenomena leading to this a lot. In each individual case, doctors prescribe specific diagnosis on a combination of different symptoms and draw conclusions from the collected history. The main groups of reasons, which may be plaque, divided into the following:
- Destruction or injury of the language itself — in this case, the plaque is associated with the oral cavity and should be treated locally. It may be allergic to the medications, or inflammation, infection soft tissue, injuries from the crown or even due to disturbed occlusion, etc.
- Diseases of the internal organs — and this influence can be observed in adults and in children, even in infants. In addition to plaque, there are other signs of these diseases, and to treat all you need in the complex, eliminating the root cause.
- Also on the state of the language is influenced by a number of other phenomena that are not indicative of any pathology. It may be poor care of teeth, drinking alcohol or Smoking, allergic to mouthwash and consumption of some certain foods.
Even hormonal disorders as during menopause or during pregnancy or after taking antibiotics can trigger the emergence of a strong white residue and other unpleasant feelings. Sometimes it is a whole set of problems that are interrelated and exacerbate each other.
Diseases of the tongue
To establish the cause of the plaque and prescribe treatment can only specialist. And if it’s related to disease of language, they are:
- Glossitis and ulcerative catarrhal or desquamative, so called «geographical» tongue. The disease stands out common white coating and red spots appearing in different forms and places. These spots can be as modified papillae, and the result of the absence of epithelium. This anomaly sometimes associated with a genetic abnormality and does not indicate health problems. In other cases, the appearance of language may indicate serious violations ranging from goiter to cancer.
- Galvanic stomatitis is the usual cause of this is trauma from dentures, particularly with metal parts. In addition to Tolstoy the RAID, such damage leads to erosion, bumps or spots that feel like a burning sensation. Such as it is difficult to see, as the inflammation causes severe discomfort and has not yet healed the wounds condition does not improve.
In addition to mechanical injuries or inflamed areas, problems with soft tissue in the mouth can occur even when using aggressive substances – carbolic acid, sulfonamides, formalin, anise or eucalyptus oil etc. If that happens, carefully inspect hygiene and medications. Finding the composition of the ingredients, replace them with others.
Sometimes doctors can establish a close relationship between mucosal inflammation and plaque formation with neurological diseases. In this sense there can be such, I burned. Such a diagnosis quite difficult. But the nerves responsible for the functionality of the body, with the defeat can also cause similar manifestations. To this is added the pain and difficulties in conversation.
Problems of internal organs
Most often, the changes observed in the pathologies of various systems. Doctors have long learned to identify the white coating, a symptom of what disease is. Separately allocate a variety of symptoms in disorders of the gastrointestinal tract and other common illnesses. So, gastrointestinal pathology manifested in the form of rough language and characteristics of the plaque:
|Acute gastritis||The plaque, however grey or white, but very thick in the middle of the tongue. On the sides he may be clean. In addition, the person feels nausea and pain in the stomach.|
|Chronic gastritis||White patches with yellowish or grayish tinge, and red spots due to enlarged and inflamed papules. Accompanied by unpleasant belching, feeling of heaviness in the abdomen.|
|Peptic ulcer disease||Quite dense plaque of bright color on the basis of language. Severe pains during fasting, which subsided only after eating.|
|Acute pancreatitis||The language appears yellowish plaque, and mouth feel constant dryness. Maybe even change sensation of taste. Parallel to this, a man troubled by pain in the left hypochondrium.|
|Chronic pancreatitis||Plaque typical for thrush is a cheese – like appearance in white. This is due to the constant lack of vitamins and the low level of metabolic processes.|
|Stomach cancer||Due to a sharp rise in leukocytes and other undesirable microorganisms, coating on the tongue has a white shade. It is dense and is accompanied by an unpleasant odor.|
That problem is likely related to the digestive system, may specify and sour taste in the mouth or bitterness. Any such changes are most often a reaction to acid balance, the violation of which lead to various diseases of the stomach. Although bitter taste in the mouth can also indicate disorders of the liver or gallbladder.
Common to many diseases is the presence of thrush (candidiasis) of the mucous surfaces of the mouth. In addition to a thick white curd plaque, it causes burning sensation and the appearance of painful sores underneath. The reasons for this common infection can be prolonged use of antibiotics, vitamin deficiencies, a weakened immune system, bad habits (Smoking, alcohol use), HIV infection, dysbiosis, etc.
Irregularities in the internal organs also occur changes in the surface of the tongue:
|Cardiovascular disease||Whitish plaque affects only the front third|
|Disease of lungs and bronchi||Same as above, but can also spread to the side areas|
|Kidney problems||Whitish plaque on the back of the tongue, which is located closer to the edge|
|Diseases of the immune system||Symptoms strictly depend on the specific infection and its characteristics|
|Pathology of the gallbladder, pancreas or liver||Characteristic yellowish or even brown savings|
|Signs of anemia||As such, no RAID, but due to the General severe pallor of the body think that it is something covered|
|Diseases of salivary glands||A tongue coated with white formations, often accompanied by an unpleasant odor and a pronounced dryness|
|Dysfunction of the endocrine system||Thick coat over the entire surface, and beneath it, cracks, erosion or ulcers. Can also cause dryness, burning and other symptoms|
Very rarely, but it happens that the RAID is a completely different color. For example, black spots are quite disturbing and may indicate incipient disease Krona. In this case, you should always consult your doctor, even if no other symptoms.
It is interesting that modern pastry in its composition have a lot of dyes. And if you are throughout the day, and ate such food then in the evening you may wonder why the change of tone language. To determine whether plaque or food coloring, enough to thoroughly clean your mouth and inspect the surface of the tongue after an hour or two.
The most unpleasant disorders in which you may receive the plaque are various infections. And there’s the patient not to the color of his language, as well as other symptoms much more clearly felt. However, while all the disease will not be cured, education will not disappear.
To call the whole complex of sensations, including white patches on the tongue, following infection – scarlet fever, gonorrhea, strep throat, dysentery, chicken pox, HIV, diphtheria, etc. And the result is not so much the RAID, what is the total weakening of the immune system, which starts an active attack of bacteria on all human organs.
The condition of the patient deteriorates with the presence of high temperature, General weakness, a red throat, a rash on the body, in some cases, even blisters. If a sore throat, it is almost always accompanied by a touch on the tongue. To leave these symptoms without treatment and skilled assistance is not necessary.
Also the danger of such problems is the ability of infectious bacteria to others. Therefore, diagnosis and treatment you need as early as possible and try to limit contact with others to avoid spreading of the disease.
Hereditary and systemic diseases
Another group of reasons, which formed plaque on the tongue, are such diseases:
- kraurosis – dystrophic lesions of the external genitalia in women, manifesting during menopause;
- leukoplakia – pathology of the superficial layer of mucosal epithelium;
- dermatosis – a number of skin diseases such as psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema, atopic dermatitis, etc.;
- red hair or herpes or a different disease Patient, also applies to skin diseases;
- syndromes of Brunauer or Siemens, etc. – in each of the cases observed genetic abnormality in the surface layers of the skin, mucous membranes, sweat glands, etc., depending on the specific disease.
Usually doctors establish the diagnosis much earlier than people will pay attention to language change. Often such diseases are caused by genetic anomalies and difficult to influence in any way. Some of them appear throughout life and are considered to be acquired, but to cure them is quite difficult.
What to do if the child has a white coating on the tongue?
Even a child can see such formation and plaque. Not always it is associated with some dangerous diseases, but in any case, you need to show the baby to the doctor, that he just installed, and why it happened.
When the plaque in children normal can be considered the following situations, which do not require any treatment:
- when plaque is easily removed with a toothbrush;
- in infants with breast feeding, it is usually remnants of milk on the tongue or the reaction to the eaten nursing mother food;
- after consuming dairy or white foods;
- similarly, if the kid was playing with pen, paint, chalk or pencil, he may lick or taste them, thereby to leave a mark on the language;
- if too frequent use of sweet food containing sugar, which gives impetus for the rapid growth of pathogenic bacteria;
- when a child does not need hygiene or they are not complete (not until the end of the cleaned surface are pieces of food between the teeth or the allotted time is not enough to remove all bacteria).
The most common reason for the appearance of a white plaque in the newborn is banal thrush (candidiasis, as the doctors say). Such infection affected especially those babies who are bottle-fed, underweight, poor health, were born prematurely or there are other deviations from the norm.
The symptoms of this problem will be expressed in the children’s crying, tantrums, refusal to eat, the General anxiety. Doctors recommend you just wipe the child’s language finger, wrapped with gauze and macnow in a solution of soda. Maybe the pediatrician will prescribe a simple treatment for the normalization of microflora of the oral cavity.
No less than in adults, in children it happens the plaque with various internal diseases, which have already been listed above and others – stomatitis, glossitis, caries, tonsillitis, laryngitis, pharyngitis, scarlet fever, diphtheria, colds, flu, vitamin deficiencies, gastritis, dysbacteriosis, etc.
If the plaque is stable, abundant and observed additional symptoms, you should immediately consult a doctor:
- the child asks only sweet, from conventional foods flatly refuses;
- normal stool becomes too frequent and liquid, or, on the contrary, the child can not defecate;
- complains of abdominal pain, vomits, or vomits;
- there is a lump in the throat;
- very frequent colds and viral diseases;
- the slowdown in growth, delays in physical development, the lack of weight.
In each case, the physician must accurately diagnose the reason and to appoint adequate treatment. Yourself to do anything isn’t necessary as you can run the main a serious disease, except a touch on the tongue does not show.
To understand why there was this unpleasant phenomenon, you should seek help from a specialist. In the case of a touch the language is, first and foremost, the dentist. It is able to distinguish various inflammations of the mucous from the others. If the doctor will notice that the reason could be an internal disease will refer to another specialist – infectious diseases, internist, gastroenterologist, endocrinologist, etc.
When the coating on the tongue bothers the children, then usually they first show the pediatrician. Then he decides, you need to consult a dentist or other doctors. It is also important for adults and children to pass a set of tests that will help to establish the true cause and possible latent disease. To such additional diagnostic measures are:
- General analysis of blood;
- blood for detection of HIV and other infections;
- the cultures of the mucosal surface of the oral cavity.
All this will give an overall picture of the health status and will help to determine if there is reason to worry and what to do to remove plaque from the tongue and other symptoms.
Whatever the cause of the plaque, it needs to be eliminated. How to get rid of this and other related discomfort, tell the doctor after diagnosis. Treatment completely will depend on the root cause of the problem:
|Bad habits such as Smoking or alcohol consumption||Overall health better to get rid of them, to clean the body of accumulated toxins, restore liver function and replenish the water balance|
|Excessive consumption of sugar-containing products, as well as white, dairy food||Immediately after such a meal you need to carefully handle the teeth and tongue toothbrush and toothpaste or at least rinse the cavity quality means|
|The presence of dental caries or lack of regular hygiene of the oral cavity||To develop the habit of twice a day, brush your teeth, and all diseases to get rid of that in the open cavities do not accumulate bacteria|
|Gastrointestinal diseases||Treatment by a gastroenterologist, which is in accordance with the exact diagnosis will prescribe the proper meds|
|Various infections and pathologies of other systems||Likewise, diagnosis and consultation with relevant experts to help to fix the root problem with health|
|Candidiasis (thrush)||The doctor will prescribe a treatment of drugs, such as Amphotericin b, Diflucan, Bifiform or Clotrimazole. For children treatment using 3% solution of potassium and sodium iodide|
|When these diseases of the mucosa||Local treatment Tantum Verde or Chlorhexidine. The appointment of anti-inflammatory drugs. For healing of erosions and wounds apply rosehip oil or vitamin a in liquid form. To strengthen the immune system prescribe a multivitamin complexes|
To remove only the superficial symptom without a diagnosis of the main causes is meaningless, since the infection that triggered the appearance of the plaque the first time, be sure to manifest itself again. It is also important at the time of treatment to eliminate from the diet of hot and spicy food, to conduct high quality oral hygiene. If the reason was an Allergy or injury, then remove it – replace hygiene products, medications or choose other prostheses.
In the case of formation of wounds, erosions, cracks in addition to be sure the therapy to carry out a local application or use a variety of tools for healing and tissue regeneration. What – will be advised by the dentist.
Video: white patches on the tongue — why it occurs and symptom of what diseases can be.
In order to avoid even the appearance of plaque and its possible causes, should follow the ordinary rules for the care of oral hygiene and a healthy lifestyle:
- A thorough hygiene: brush your teeth with a brush of medium hardness, choose quality toothpaste and mouth rinses. After each meal try to treat the surface and prevent the spread of bacteria.
- Follow a healthy diet, which excludes all kinds of violations of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Time to treat any disease, especially infection, adhering to doctor’s appointments.
- Contact your dentist for treatment of dental problems and detect them in the initial stages.
- To install only the highest quality dentures, implants, crowns, braces don’t cause rejection or allergies. Often cheap materials lead to injuries or unexpected reactions.
- Eat less sweet, spicy, sour and other such products that contribute to inflammation or allergies.
- Give up bad habits that negatively affect health.
► To what doctor should contact with this issue?
Because of the disease of language relate primarily to the oral cavity, the main specialist who will find and diagnose the problem, it’s a dentist. If he sees that the disease may be associated with internal organs or infection, we will prescribe the necessary tests and send to the appropriate doctor of different specialization.