Why in the tooth put arsenic: as it kills the nerve
Visitors to the dental office, which will devital procedure of removing dental pulp, are often interested in why a tooth cavity put the arsenic. This substance has toxic properties, so concerns about its use are well founded. Arsenic, or rather arsenious paste provides mortification inflamed dental nerve during the development of pulpitis, which allows you then to remove it painlessly. Despite the presence in the Arsenal of dentists many modern drugs-anesthetics, effectively eliminating the sensitivity in the tooth at the right time, and in some cases should be used for treatment toothpaste with arsenic.
The composition and principle of action of ARSENICAL paste
The mechanism of action of drugs containing arsenic (Kaustinen, Kaustinen, Septodont, etc.), based on the inhibition of vital processes of the cells of dental pulp — violation of metabolism, blocking blood flow, protein denaturation, leading to their death and the cessation of transmission of neuron nerve impulses. Therapeutic agent is dosed in form of small balls about the size of a pinhead, containing 0,0004–0,0008 g of arsenic.
Part devitalizing pastes include the following ingredients:
- arsenic anhydride, killing the nerve in the tooth, approximately 35% of the total weight;
- one of the types of anesthetic drugs that reduce pain sensitivity before the death of nervous tissue —lidocaine hydrochloride, tetracaine or procaine — about 30%;
- substances with antiseptic properties, relieving inflammation by suppression of the activity has penetrated into the pulp of the infection, thymol, carbolic acid 5%;
- tannin, adhesion which prevents the penetration of toxic component in the surrounding tooth tissues and enables to increase the term of the paste in the tooth cavity, — 1%;
Indications and contraindications to the use of ARSENICAL pastes
As arsenic is a toxic substance, doctors consider whether there are indications for its use. In some cases, to use drugs, in which it is part, it is impossible. Pasta with arsenic put the tooth under the following conditions:
- if the patient is not sensitive to anesthetic drugs or to respond to the use of an allergic reaction;
- when the time limit not allow a complete treatment of the tooth when handling a patient in the dental clinic;
- the condition of the sick person does not take painkiller, for example, with a significant increase in A/D, severe disease, in a state of intoxication;
- if the child’s teeth have fully formed roots, but local anesthesia is not possible;
- if you experience severe pain in the night time when assistance can only be provided duty doctor.
Arsenic paste can not be put in the following cases:
- if the body responds to allergic symptoms included in the medication components;
- children under the age of 1.5 years and when underdeveloped the roots of the teeth;
- with a significant curvature of the canal, the overlap of the lumen of denticles (lime deposits) and other hindrances to doing the cleaning and widening of the canal all the way to the apex;
- the presence of high eye pressure, threatening the development of glaucoma;
- if the roots of a through hole or they are separated;
- in diseases of the genitourinary system.
How is it treated
When you lose a tooth pulpitis treatment is carried out in two stages. During the first visit is radiography of the tooth, the cavity is opened and cleared of damaged tissues. Then lay ARSENICAL paste with a cotton swab soaked in the anesthetic drug. Installing on a tooth with a temporary filling, the dentist will appoint the date of the next visit.
Depending on the condition of the pulp tissues and the preparation used, the duration of stay of the paste to the tooth cavity may be 1-7 days. When you remove the tooth nerve in children, this period is reduced to 16-24 hours.
After the installation of the temporary fillings you may receive a toothache, which usually takes place in 2-3 hours. When you save the pain for a long time should go to the doctor before the appointed time to determine the cause of pain and eliminate it. At the next visit temporary filling is removed, ARSENICAL paste and tooth pulp. As arsenic kills the nerve, the procedure is painless. The doctor thoroughly cleans the channels of the tooth root, antiseptic processes them and establishes a permanent seal.
Why there is pain after the sealing with arsenic
Included in the paste analgesics inhibit the transmission of impulses to the nerve endings, reducing the severity of pain. Then he starts arsenic the sensitivity of the nerve is eliminated. But in some cases this is not happening.
Increased pain may be caused by several reasons:
- used an insufficient dose of arsenic;
- high sensitivity to applied drug;
- the dilation of blood vessels of the pulp
- the seal is too tight to the ARSENICAL paste;
- bookmark arsenic to a closed pulp;
- interactions with medications caused inflammation of the periodontal tissue, symptomatic it can manifest fever, swelling of the gums, the appearance of purulent infiltration;
- development of dangerous complications rarely — necrosis of the periosteum or bones of the jaw;
- allergic reaction to components of the ARSENICAL paste, the appearance of severe swelling of the mucosa surrounding the tooth, you should remove the temporary filling and medication with arsenic.
Could the arsenic in the medicinal pastes to harm the health
The purpose of the preparations containing arsenic cause death of tissue of the tooth nerve. But for the safety of their application is necessary to avoid contact of the paste with the gums and other areas of the mouth outside the patient’s tooth. The qualitative installation of the seal’s integrity is not broken and poisonous substance does not fall on the mucous membranes of the mouth. It is equally important that the dose not exceed the maximum allowable values (for human health arsenic is a danger in an amount of 0.005–0.05 g). Another important condition for the use of ARSENICAL pastes is the exact observance of term of stay of the toxic component in the cavity of the tooth and the complete removal of residues at the end of the time of action.
Peredergivali of arsenic may cause the following complications:
- tissue necrosis of the periosteum, alveolar bone;
- burns to the gums arsenious acid (helps prevent it from treatment of the gums with iodine to improve the condition of the burnt surface will allow rinsing with hydrogen peroxide);
- the darkening of the dentin, swelling of the pulp;
- in case of untimely removal of the drug often occurs the periodontitis — inflammation of the bordering tooth root tissues;
- if there is increased sensitivity of the organism, toxicity can adversely affect the liver and other organs of the gastrointestinal tract.
Self-removal of arsenic from a tooth
Removing the temporary filling and pasta should do the dentist, but sometimes there are situations in which the patient has to do it alone. For example, long-term ongoing pain in the tooth or the destruction of the seal, which happens often enough so as to make it use less solid materials. For these purposes, you can use a toothpick, thin tweezers or needle (be careful it does not slip out of hands and did not hurt my gums), disinfected them with alcohol.
After removal of the paste (often it is painted in blue color, which facilitates its detection) should rinse your mouth with soda solution, adding a few drops of iodine. Then in the hole of tooth cavity you have to invest a piece of cotton wool.
If you accidentally swallow the paste, do not worry — dosage arsenic in the paste are minimal and do not pose a serious danger to the body. To neutralize him enough to drink 250 ml of milk. Do not delay for long a visit to the doctor and further treatment of the tooth, to prevent the development of complications.
The use of arsenic during the period of pregnancy and breastfeeding the child
During pregnancy and feeding the baby breast milk the use of ARSENICAL pastes are not allowed, to eliminate the risk of negative influence of the drug on child development. Medicine does not have precise information about the impact on the fetus of toxic components of pastes that kill the nerve.
When visiting the dentist, you must make it known that you are pregnant or are a nursing mother. In such cases, the treatment of the tooth used drugs, which does not contain arsenic.
The danger of intoxication of women and children is increasing due to the fact that there is a probability of fillings and ingestion with food. In addition, ARSENICAL paste is a bad influence on the dentin, leading to its gradual destruction.
In pediatric dentistry demetalizarea paste are rarely used. They are used for allergic reactions to other types of medication for panic or fear of the baby to the injection. Before installing the ARSENICAL paste is determined by the degree of development of tooth roots, as their lack of formation increases the likelihood of periodontitis.
Tips to monitor a temporary filling
The first two hours after placing the paste should refrain from eating foods and drinks to avoid destruction of the material, which comprises a temporary seal. Closely monitor her condition. When you are prompted after the procedure, an acidic taste in your mouth to neutralize the acid you can, drinking some milk and rinsing the mouth soda solution. For the removal of ARSENICAL pastes for coloring, fillings, or long-continued intense pain is better to consult a doctor. If this opportunity at a particular moment of time, to remove the drug independently.