Wisdom tooth hurts: why it hurts, how to relieve the pain
According to statistics dentists adult patients quite often during the reception, complaining that the wisdom tooth hurts. Indeed, complications such as pain, inflammation with eruption of permanent molars in school age, are less common. This physiological process is, in fact, as the eruption of wisdom teeth. However, the question arises: why so often the last molar makes the experience of a man aching pain?
A small note about the wisdom tooth
On average, the «wise» tooth cut in age from 15 to 30 years, which is why the name. If the wisdom tooth does not appear, but there are (confirmed via x-ray) — it’s called impacted. Not always the case that the crown of the gums after the eruption is fully visible. In this case, these teeth are called poliuretanovomu. Some experts consider them to be vestigial organs, due to changes in modern man’s diet, namely by reducing the consumption of solid food. Wisdom teeth are not at all, and if there are, it is not necessary that they ever will erupt. The process of teething is different in duration (from a week to several months). After a normal (physiological) abnormalities without eruption of molars can be used as a support to which is fixed a removable or non-removable (its arc) prosthesis. Often to push the eruption of molars can deletion or loss of any molar. After removal there is a shift of the teeth and make space for the new tooth «wisdom».
What is the cause (or causes) sore gums near wisdom tooth, interested in each person, especially if you had to deal with this problem. Experts distinguish between pain that may be felt for a wisdom tooth before, during, at first, and after the eruption.
The child on the lower and upper jaws during the change of teeth the bone tissue characterized by greater elasticity, softness. In place of the permanent teeth until recently was a dairy, which facilitates the process of teething. And wisdom teeth «predecessors» was not. And «they appear to light» through the thickness of healthy bone tissue. It is the presence of bone above the wisdom tooth makes the whole process lengthy, often painful and protracted. At the time of eruption of the bone through which passes the molar, rigid and elastic structures.
One of the reasons why a sore wisdom tooth – is it the wrong location (for example, in the horizontal plane) during the appearance of the gums. The crown pushes, destroys the adjacent molars, causing pulsating pain. The crown can be cut in the side cheeks, to injure its mucous membrane, or, on the contrary, in the direction of the mouth. Any incorrect positioning of the molars is always accompanied by pain.
Inflammation is one of the causes of pain
If sore gums near wisdom tooth, it may not always be associated with the presence of pathological growth. The feeling of pain may be due to the fact that the tooth row little space, and in the process of eruption of the tooth is putting pressure on its neighbours, which leads to pain.
Often the tooth is starting to ache because of the outbreak of inflammation in the surrounding tissues. Inflammation is always accompanied by the following symptoms: soft tissue swelling, increased local temperature, swelling. The main symptom is pain.
It can be of different nature but mainly pulses and gives to the ear, jaw, etc. If a very sore wisdom tooth and the symptoms of inflammation is not reduced, it is likely that developed an abscess or perikoronit. An abscess is a localized pathological lesion which contains pus and destroyed soft tissue. The abscess is accompanied by local and General symptoms (fever, General malaise, etc.). Treatment of an abscess is not without surgical intervention.
Typically, wisdom teeth erupt slowly. The structure of the gums on the upper and lower jaws are different. Behind the tooth (especially if it was cut) on the lower jaw, between it and the gums, which is located behind, there are deeper pockets (they are called «hooded»). It accumulate food residue that promotes the growth of microorganisms and inflammation, thereby developing perikoronit («peri -» means near; «crowns» — the crown; «it is» — inflammation). On examination, the gums covering the tooth, hypertrophied and hyperemic.
Destruction under the action of microorganisms
Cause of pain:
- Wisdom teeth, exactly like the other, susceptible to carious destruction. As a rule, its destruction is not immediately noticeable, that is connected with the peculiarity of the location in the oral cavity. For the disease characterized by the classic symptoms: the tooth starts to hurt during the reception, for example, strongly sweet, spicy, hot or cold foods. If the stimulus to their action is not, then the discomfort will soon pass.
- Pulpitis – a deeper tissue destruction. In this disease inflamed «pulp» (tissue that contains nerves, blood vessels etc.). From the wisdom tooth with pulpitis the pain experienced in the cheek, ear, jaw. It is paroxysmal in nature. Can occur suddenly. Unlike tooth decay, to cause pain, irritating factor is not needed. In the dormant period to trigger can cold or hot food. When purulent pulpitis pain is unbearable. It often occurs at night, can pulsate, to shoot and not always painkillers help.
- Periodontitis and its severity depends on the stage of the pathological process. When it affects the tooth root. Sore wisdom tooth when chewing, there is a sharp throbbing in the gums. In its area there is swelling, increases local and General temperature, the cheek becomes hot. The tooth may be different pathological mobility. Chronic periodontitis has a fluctuating course. During remission symptoms bother enough. The pain is occasionally felt under strong pressure on the tooth while eating, and during the tapping of the tooth. If not treated the disease on the gums above the tooth open fistula from which pus periodically expires. During remission, the fistula closes and does not cause concern.
Inflammation of the gums – cause pain
Dental practice specialist can encounter a patient with pain in the gums, but the cause of gingivitis. When in fact the tooth is not in any distress, and he grew up right, and there are pathological changes in the gums.
What is the cause of gingivitis? As a rule, defective hygiene, Tartar contribute to the reproduction of pathogenic and conditionally pathogenic microflora of the oral cavity. In the process of its activity the gums become inflamed, hypertrophied (increase in size) in this form the pockets. They accumulate food, which further exacerbates the inflammation in which pain is inevitable. A wisdom tooth is no exception and is often involved in this pathological process.
What to do if you get sick wisdom teeth? Of course, seek help from a qualified specialist. Minor discomfort can be tolerated if they:
- accompany the eruption of the last molar,
- not a long time;
- quickly stoped taking analgesic and is not subsequently repeated.
If, for example, at night my teeth hurt wisdom what to do? In that case, once to a specialist for help do not turn, so you can use painkillers. How to numb the wisdom tooth at home? It is enough to make one suitable for the drugs belonging to the NSAIDs group. Under their influence, the pain will decrease or will be at least 4-6 hours. Instead, they soothe the pain may be a soda solution. For its preparation you will need warm water (200 ml) and a teaspoon of baking soda.
If you are constantly worried about the wisdom teeth, how to relieve the pain? It is important to remember that pain medication is not ethological treatment (that is, with their help it is impossible to eliminate the cause). Constant pain is a signal of a more serious problem, to understand the reason which is can only doctor.
What do the dentist? After examination, the patient may be sent for x-rays. In the photo specialist will evaluate the health of the tooth. If the root is healthy, the pulp is not damaged, the cause of the pain is likely associated with the surrounding tissues.
Treatment of pericoronitis surgical. The gums from wisdom tooth incision (decreases). As required subsequently, shall be appointed anti-inflammatory drugs and antibiotics. If the event does not work – very often it is removed.
If the tooth is growing properly, thus totters, crumbles, causes pain – it is subjected to deletion. By itself, a removal does not always go quickly, as he has strong roots. First, as when you remove regular teeth, the doctor performs anesthesia, after which no discomfort the patient is experiencing.
With gingivitis the dentist in the first place, removes the stones, which are located near the neck of the tooth, and assigns anti-inflammatory therapy (including physiotherapy).
To make the new tooth and the tissue around it is inflamed, it is recommended to fully implement all hygienic measures to care for the oral cavity. The holders of wisdom teeth you should also visit the dentist twice a year prophylactically.
Will it help traditional medicine
Traditional medicine is not able to influence the cause of pain. However, in conjunction with traditional methods and recipes accelerate the healing process by reducing inflammation.
- to reduce the inflammatory process will help tincture of propolis. It has bactericidal, wound-healing properties. A tincture can be prepared independently, and can be purchased in finished form in the pharmacy network. In a glass of warm water you want to add teaspoon of money. To rinse your mouth after each eating. In a similar way to prepare the working solution of tincture of calendula. These recipes are especially good to use after surgery (e.g. after tooth extraction, surgery on the gums, etc.);
- to speed up the recovery will help the sea buckthorn oil. They handled the mucous membrane of the gums directly above the tooth, which bothers;
- during teething helps to get rid of pain the following recipe: 1 liter of water (which should first be boiled and cooled), add 100 ml of 10% ammonia, 10 ml of camphor alcohol and salt (20 g). In a ready solution to lower the fleece, which then need to be applied to the affected tooth and the gum. After 15 minutes, the cotton wool should be removed.
- Infusion of lemon balm will help to relieve soft tissue swelling. For its preparation should take 250 ml of water and 1 tbsp. spoon grass. An hour later, the solution allows you to rinse your mouth.
Even if traditional medicines bring relief, expert advice is needed. Timely treatment is the key to a healthy and strong teeth for years to come.