Wisdom tooth to treat or remove: whether to treat or prosthesis
Dental community still cannot answer the question: wisdom tooth treated or removed? The reason for this is many factors that determine the value of «eights», as well as they may bring damage. There is a perception that the «eight» are the rudiments and some people do not exist even the beginnings of wisdom teeth. This is due to the fact that in the modern world of dental apparatus undergoes a strong change in the absence of the need for a person to chew coarse food.
Wisdom tooth — «Eight»
«Eight» (the wisdom teeth, third molars) appear in a person 20-25 years and their appearance is associated usually with unpleasant sensations. However, it is not always necessary hastily to remove the eighth tooth, and make this decision based on several factors. What pro i contra should be assessed for decision making on wisdom tooth? First of all, we must understand that this is the same tooth, as all the others, respectively, and the pathology it will be the same as the rest of the dentition.
- Violation of the eruption (partial or full retention)
Accordingly, the entire spectrum of therapeutic interventions, including orthodontic treatment, is also applicable in the treatment of the eighth tooth. To cure a wisdom tooth, filling the root canals and create a tight restoration, or fix orthopedic design for a skilled dentist will not be easy. Especially if his Arsenal is the fibre optics, the ability of 3D computer tomography and whole range of hand and machine tools.
The greatest challenge for the dentist, it is the far location of the «eight», close contact with a cheek and the lack of attached mucosa. This makes it problematic isolation from saliva: the imposition of cofferdam and separation of the gums using retraction threads. In addition, root canals to wisdom teeth strongly curved, and their number can be accurately determined only by using a microscope and 3-D computed tomography. In addition, there are sometimes problems when conducting regional anesthesia required for treatment, «eight», as it has its own innervation, different from neighbors in the lower jaw. In some patients, touching of the root of the tongue or the mucosa of the palate causes severe gag reflex, which also complicates the work of the physician and creates discomfort for the patient.
All these factors make the treatment of wisdom teeth is time-consuming and energy-consuming and before you invest your time and money, you need to answer the question: is it necessary?
Answering the question of whether or not to treat a wisdom tooth, You should evaluate the following factors:
- The position in the tooth row. Of course, you need to fight for exactly a tooth standing, perfectly finishing the whole series, not causing inconvenience to adjacent teeth and having the antagonist (the tooth’s partner on the opposite jaw);
- The dubious status of preceding teeth. Pulpitis, periodontitis, or lack of molars of the lower jaw the left wisdom tooth last hope when planning bridges. Of course, the implantation today is a public procedure, but in some cases its implementation is not possible. It would be good to consult a doctor an orthopedist, do I need to keep this prop?
- Desperate desire of the patient at whatever cost, to preserve the integrity of the dentition and treat wisdom teeth. Then of course we are talking only about those teeth, the preservation of which, though time-consuming, but it will not pose harm to the health of the oral cavity, and cured tooth will actively participate in chewing;
- Full retention, combined with the anatomical proximity of the mandibular canal. If on the basis of computed tomography is determined by the location of the tooth roots in close proximity of inferior alveolar nerve, and it gives no symptoms, then removal is best avoided, as the consequences of this interference can cause numbness of the lower lip and tongue.
For decision-making about the preservation of wisdom teeth is necessary to conduct several studies: a panoramic overview, 3D CT scan, a thorough examination of the oral cavity. You may need the advice of several specialists for planning the subsequent treatment and final decision.
Treat wisdom tooth under local (conduction, infiltration) or General anesthesia using standard protocols applicable in everyday practice of a dentist. In preparation for the prosthetic treatment may require the help of an orthodontist to move the tooth into the correct position, or periodontist to increase the crown length of the tooth or the creation of attached mucosa. Due to the fact that «eight» themselves tradestone, and effort for treatment, the doctor and the patient must take a whole lot more.
When you need to remove wisdom tooth
Treated if the wisdom teeth in the West? In Europe there is an unspoken rule: «eight» shall be deleted unconditionally. Insist on it and many orthodontists before orthodontic treatment,as subsequent growth time are not deleted eights can lead to relapse. However, there is a clear set of indications for carrying out this is not the most pleasant procedure.
- Complete or partial retention, accompanied by constant inflammation in the area of causal tooth. It can be as pericoronitis and periodic attempts impacted the growth of the group. This leads to sensitization of the organism and, as consequence, strengthening of allergists of the body.
- Under pressure from the growing medially eights is offset from the front teeth, resulting in malocclusion and periodontal. High probability of formation of root caries in the adjacent second molar, which when not treated may cause removal of two units at the same time;
- Severe destruction of the coronal portion of the tooth and root caries. As a rule, high-quality treatment in this situation is almost impossible because of limited access to distal areas;
- Limited mouth opening. Makes it impossible for the cavity, high-quality treatment of root canals and their subsequent hermetic sealing. And to use this tooth in the future to support the dental bridge is not possible, so as to create a ledge around the perimeter of the tooth is almost impossible;
- The absence of the antagonist-the opposing tooth. As a factor contributing to the advancement of the tooth and cause blockages in the movement of the lower jaw;
- The presence of trophic ulcers caused by buccal location progresivehouse of the tooth. Generally hygiene in the field of «eights», especially buccal, hampered. At a constant trauma to the tooth gentle hillocks buccal mucosa, occur very quickly eroded and the persistent infection makes them persistent. Therefore, you should pay special attention to the buccal of the wisdom teeth and to get rid of them, as a chronic infection in the area of damaged mucosa often has a tendency to malignancy;
- The crooked teeth. Under pressure from the growing wisdom tooth, it can only get worse;
- Pain when biting on a healthy first molar of the upper jaw. Quite often there are situations in which healthy teeth of the upper jaw is necessary to remove the pulp, since the pressure of impacted upper eights is transmitted to the first molars. In case of untimely removal of these teeth is necessary to remove the pulp due to inflammation that occurs in periodontal tissues.
Do I need to treat the tooth of wisdom-to solve certainly to You, but you must listen to the opinion of a specialist. This is not always the solution uniquely as complications after removal can be quite serious. As a rule also removes the eighth teeth on one side (on the upper and lower jaw). The deletions refer to outpatient surgery, after which may come a temporary disability. Therefore, the removal of eights to better plan for the weekend and in any case not before the important event, a business trip or vacation.
If you want to remove the «eight» when planning a pregnancy
I think the answer is obvious, as the performance of these transactions in such a crucial period is not desirable.
Complications after removal:
- Limited mouth opening due to the development of a hematoma, injuries of muscles, swelling of soft tissues. Usually lasts about weeks and is held without additional treatment;
- Alveolitis-inflammation in the extraction socket. Occurs after prolonged bleeding, when a full blood clot can not be formed. In this case, the bone is left open and healing occurs only after repeated curettage wells and the imposition of special medical dressings;
- Pain when biting on the adjacent teeth. This is due to pressure on neighboring units provided by the doctor during surgery;
- Herpes infection is isomorphic as an a reaction to the intervention in the oral cavity;
- Numbness (partial or complete) of the lower lip, the cheeks and the tip of the tongue. Usually occurs when you remove the bottom of the eights, and is reversible if the nerve during surgery is not damaged;
- Fracture of the lower jaw, this complication is quite rare and occurs in case of removal of a deep-seated wisdom teeth of those that it is better not to remove.
In all doubtful States and sensations, you should immediately see a doctor.
Is it possible to cure wisdom tooth traditional medicine
Since the process affects the bone structure, the treatment of wisdom teeth at home is impossible. You can only alleviate the condition associated with the presence of inflammation decoction of chamomile or oak bark, and to alleviate the teething will help a solution of soda, salt and iodine. It will take the swelling down and help the outflow of purulent exudate if present.
Disturbing your wisdom teeth removed or treated? Make the decision for You. In any case, you need to look for experienced professionals, based on the recommendations described above. It is also necessary to take into account that You will need a sufficient amount of moral and material investments, effort and patience, as a good and quality work can only be done with the help of modern equipment and a doctor with high qualifications.