CT of the bowel — which shows, training,
The human gut is one of the most difficult to diagnose bodies. The inability of the visual assessment, complex intricate arrangement of the body, a painful procedure inspection – all of these factors lead to the fact that the level of disease affecting the intestine, are quite high and patients long postpone visit to the doctor, afraid of discomfort and pain. Modern medicine has reached a high level of development and can offer a method of examination more comfortable than a colonoscopy – a CT scan of the intestine, or virtual colonography. In addition, among the painless methods to allocate enterography and barium enema.
The first virtual colonoscopy was conducted in 1993 in the United States – it was a bit different from modern techniques. With the development of medicine and technology, the study improved, and numerous clinical tests have confirmed the high informative value of CT in the examination of the intestine.
CT in the diagnosis bowel shows many diseases in the early stages of development:
- Inflammatory diseases of the small intestine and colon.
- Benign and malignant tumors located in the wall of the body and beyond.
- Erosion of the walls of the organ.
The method of virtual colonography eliminates the complications that occur during and after a colonoscopy:
- Excluded damage to the intestinal walls by the probe.
- Reduced the likelihood of bleeding.
- After the end of the study the patient does not require recovery period – there is no pain in the abdomen, and examined on the same day, may proceed with the usual activities.
Computed tomography with contrast
In some cases, a routine computed tomography of the intestine is insufficient, and the patient receives a CT scan with contrast. Most often the use of contrast is necessary in a study I conducted about the diagnosis of cancer. Contrast material containing iodine is administered to a patient intravenously before the scanning is the bloodstream it is rapidly distributed throughout the body and significantly improves the visualization of tumors. Tumors and metastases, as a rule, have a developed blood network, so using contrast can accurately determine the boundaries of the distribution and structural features.
In addition, for examination of the small intestine and colon can be applied contrasting with barium, the patient before the study asked to drink a special liquid and after 20 minutes scans. This provides a better look at the body by straightening its walls.
What is included in preparation for the surveys?
Such survey methods as CT of the bowel, barium enema and enterography require the patient to serious training:
- For two or three days before examination it is better to limit the consumption of foods that help you poop is legumes, fresh vegetables and fruits, fresh pastries and dairy products.
- The bowel must be well prepared – before the study the patient must make a cleansing enema or taking a laxative drug, for example, «Fortrans». Doing research on an empty stomach is necessary to reduce the active motility and improve visualization, so the last meal should be 5-6 hours before the procedure.
- Before conducting kontrastnoi virtual colonography, to prevent possible allergic reactions, it is recommended to allergodil. The contrast is very Allergy as it contains organic iodine compounds.
- In that case, if the patient suffers from bloating, it is better to take «Drops» or any other enterosorbent, for example, activated carbon.
- To relieve spasm of smooth muscles of the intestines are advised to adopt a «no-silos».
- Before scanning, be sure to go to the toilet.
How is the procedure?
The patient undresses from the waist and lies down on the couch to the side. Into the anus to a depth inserted a thin rubber tube, through which at low pressure is pumped carbon dioxide is necessary for straightening the bowel loops and improve visibility when scanning. The patient may feel a little discomfort and tension in the abdomen. After that, the couch is pushed into the body scanner, where the scanning – procedure the patient is asked to lie on his stomach. Colonography does not take much time – research takes the patient less than an hour.
Barium enema and CT scan – which is better?
Barium enema is the method of roentgenologic examination of the colon with the use of radiopaque substances. The main difference from CT is that the scanning is performed on a conventional x-ray device and allows to obtain two-dimensional images. A barium enema is used to detect the source of constriction of the intestine in intestinal obstruction, the diagnosis of disorders of tonus of the walls and determine the location of the tumor in the large intestine. In addition, the barium enema to diagnose chronic and nonspecific colitis and irritable bowel syndrome. In contrast to computer tomography, the method gives no insight into the structural features of intestinal cells and do not allow you to scan on the layers, however, the barium enema provides an opportunity to assess the relief of the mucous membrane and tumor size.
Enterography of the small intestine
Read more to explore the state of the small intestine is possible by using the method of CT enterography. This study involves the administration of contrast agent inside for 30-40 minutes before the test and filling of the intestine x-rays negative substance through the anus. After ingestion of the liquid is performed scan on the scanner. The small intestine is difficult to access for research, and enterography shows a clear structure to the fullest and allows you to assess her condition – to detect tumors, abscesses, fistulas, inflammatory diseases,and also helps to identify the site of obstruction and to diagnose the extraintestinal pathological processes. Enterography is a good addition to the usual CT scan of the bowel survey of the small intestine.