Carotid artery stenosis: symptoms and treatment
All arteries in the body transporterowych the oxygen-rich blood from the heart to the organs. On each side of the neck in humans are located carotid arteries, which deliver oxygen to the brain. Carotid artery stenosis — a narrowing of the lumen of the vessels, which is disrupted blood flow to the brain.
Often the cause of stenosis is atherosclerosis — a disease provoked by a violation of lipid metabolism and deposition of cholesterol on vascular walls. Because this disease can sometimes be a narrowing or blockage of blood vessels, which can lead to stroke or heart attack. Carotid artery stenosis occurs under the influence of such factors as:
Carotid artery stenosis may occur as a result of coronary heart disease.
The disease is asymptomatic, and therein lies its danger. But patients from time to time there are transistor ischemic attack, of which it is impossible not to notice. The cause of this condition is a temporary blocking of an artery by a blood clot, which disturbed cerebral blood flow. The transistor characteristics of the attacks usually last a few minutes. The symptoms of this condition include:
- sudden loss of vision in both or one eye;
- the loss of sensation of limbs or other body parts;
- speech disorders;
- brain fog;
- difficulty swallowing;
Stenosis of the carotid artery, or rather, transient attack, a dangerous progression of ischemic stroke. In people who have experienced several such situations in 10 times increases the likelihood of developing a major stroke. This disease, often resulting in the death of a person occurs:
- if the artery narrows due to the attachment of the thrombus to the wall;
- when blockage of a major vessel of the brain by a blood clot.
If a person at least once in my life, there were signs transient ischemic attack, it should immediately see a doctor and time to start treatment.
To diagnose stenosis of the arteries, the physician must assign the patient a number of studies:
Treatment and lifestyle
If a person is diagnosed stenosis of the cervical vessels, the doctor determines the treatment tactics. Drug therapy includes:
- anticoagulants — drugs that prevent blood clots (Clopidogrel, Warfarin, Aspirin, Chimes);
- a means of reducing the level of blood cholesterol (Atorvastatin, Simvahexal).
If the carotid arteries are large blood clots and atherosclerotic plaque, the physician may make the decision to perform surgery. Stenosis of blood vessels is carried out:
After the operation the patient remains in the hospital no more than 3 days. To daily activities you can return in 7 to 10 days, assuming no complications.
People with stenosis of the arteries needs to make adjustments to your lifestyle:
- stop Smoking and alcohol consumption;
- monitor blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar;
- to limit the consumption of foods high in fat and cholesterol;
- to control body weight;
- to provide regular physical activity (at least 30 minutes daily).
For the prevention of vascular disease is important to regularly be seen by a doctor.