Cyst in the maxillary sinus: symptoms and modern methods of treatment — the Treatment of sinusitis and rhinitis
Cyst in the maxillary sinus: symptoms and modern treatment methods
Frequent dizziness and pain in the forehead or temples, shortness of breath and fast heartbeat may talk about a number of a variety of diseases. And if the survey is nothing «extraordinary» in the body did not reveal such symptoms can signal that had a cyst in the maxillary sinus. What is the threat of this phenomenon? Why in some cases require immediate intervention, and other education remains the «eternal companion»?
What kind of «beast» and where does?
Cyst of the maxillary sinus – a small tumor in the form of a ball which is entirely filled with liquid. The wall consists of two shells, the outer film envelops the body of the cyst and protects, and the interior lined with epithelial cells responsible for producing mucus. Alas, this disease is not uncommon: it occurs with an approximate frequency of 1:10, i.e. 10 people with a maximum probability of one living with a cyst.
There are several variants of such entities. Depending on the fluid that fills the cavity, to distinguish a cyst:
In structure they are divided into true and false education. To true or the other way retention cysts include copies lined the inside with epithelium and resulting from obstruction of the glandular ducts of the mucous membranes. False or pseudocyst – of internal tissues, formed on the background of infections, dental inflammation, or Allergy.
The sinuses are covered with mucous membrane, and they contain special glands that produce the secret. He is responsible for the protection of the nasal cavity and ensures the normal functioning of the respiratory system. For each gland are «exit», so the system literally runs like clockwork. Frequent diseases of the nasopharynx lead to the fact that the mucous tissue is thickened, glandular ducts contaminated at the same time, while the secret continues to flow in the same volume. The result of the shell are stretched, and there is a cyst of the maxillary sinus (photo pathology see special section).
Possible reasons for the formation of true and false entities are:
- sinusitis and other sinusitis;
- allergic diseases;
- failed dental procedures;
- inflammation in the teeth of the upper jaw;
- asymmetrical facial structure;
The emergence of this «ball» can trigger the transition from one disease to another, for example, in chronic rhinitis sinusitis. And this is only one option, what can cause a cyst of the maxillary sinus. Symptoms, treatment of which depends on the type of cyst in the first place, can be explicit, but most often the patient is not even aware of the appearance in the nasal cavity «new life forms».
Signs of tumors in the paranasal sinuses
In the initial stages of its development, and in most cases actually, the cyst does not manifest itself in any way. And the patient learns about the disease literally by accident: in conducting radiography or orthopantomography (panoramic image of a jaw) in connection with completely different problems. But when it begins to grow cyst in the maxillary sinus, the effects of this immediately manifested in the form of symptoms:
- enough severe headache;
- of gravity, pressure in the cheeks on one or both sides of the nose;
- breathing disorders;
- discomfort and pain radiating to the orbit, jaw;
- shortness of breath.
These signs can speak of other ailments, so an appeal for medical help from a qualified it is advisable not to postpone.
What is a cyst in the maxillary sinus?
Depending on the original reasons that caused the formation of a «ball», and its localization, there are several forms of lesions of the nasal cavity.
- Odontogenic type. Of the neoplasms, which include lots of «scary» and strange phenomena (adamantinoma, odontoma, for example) most common is the cyst. An obvious plus of this phenomenon – the absence of metastasis. Therefore, the cysts are benign growths. However, all good things in mucous the «ball» of this type ends. Such tumor are prone to rapid growth, with the result that they cover more of the healthy tissue and destroys the bone structure. Most often odontogenic cyst behaves quietly, so when a random is detected, can reach considerable size. The obvious risk of this condition – the probability of fracture of the upper jaw during intense chewing.
- Cyst of the tooth. Is formed by penetration of various conditionally pathogenic microorganisms in the root canal system. Getting inside, they cause death of tissue and create a cavity, which eventually becomes a ball with a dense shell. Since such education is very difficult to detect without knowing where to look, sometimes misdiagnosed. As a result, the treatment is carried out, and there is no effect. The loss of time may result in really threatening conditions such as odontogenic osteomyelitis. That’s how dangerous a cyst of the tooth in the maxillary sinus. The symptoms can be limited to pain in the maxillary division.
- Another cyst in the maxillary sinus, the symptoms and treatment of which depend on the location, education with the right or left side. Quite rare and is characterized by sudden discharge clear or yellowish secretions from one nostril. If mucus discharge suddenly increased dramatically in volume, is, most likely, speaks about breaking the «ball». A cyst of the left maxillary sinus diagnosed using x-rays or samples involving contrast. But the most valuable is considered a CT scan, which exactly reflects not only the localization of the disease, but also the structural features of the nasal cavity of the patient. Similarly «discovered» and a cyst of the right maxillary sinus.
- What is it – a true cyst of the maxillary sinus? This formation, which is characterized by a certain location, most often on the lower wall of the maxillary sinus. Such an instance is covered by columnar epithelium and does not deliver the «happy owner» no problems. From time to time. Month through two-three after the appearance, the cyst grows, break the structure wall and the capillaries, resulting in the undesirable appearance of the first symptom of edema, disorders of nasal breathing. In the early stages is detected as the other options by accident. Late often there is a purposeful study of the sinuses.
The question of therapy
Modern methods of treatment of tumors of the paranasal sinuses mean only surgical removal. No conservative, the more popular[ and alternative therapies do not exist. Moreover, attempts instillation into the nose drop a variety of plant-based components can lead to the emergence of allergies. And this, in turn, could trigger the growth of the cyst or even rupture.
Very insidious condition – a cyst of the maxillary sinus. How to treat – I will answer only observing the patient’s doctor. A surgeon several approaches:
- Radical/classical hamartoma (surgery for maxillary sinuses).
- Intervention with endoscopic techniques.
- «Doing nothing».
The latter option is chosen if the cyst is not willing to grow, to mutate and it does not brings its «owner» for any inconvenience.
In all other cases the choice is between the classical method and endoscopy. If there are no contraindications, and the hospital has a special technique, the advantage of endoscopic surgery. It is less harmful to healthy tissues, is faster and less painful. Plus, the rehabilitation period is considerably lighter and at a good pace. In other cases a radical hamartoma, which, despite the decent age, remains a very effective procedure.
The effects of a «nelecheny» sometimes sad, but fortunately are rare: bone deformation of the skull and upper jaw, inflammation of neighboring organs, transition of infection to the eye. In the latter case, develops a condition called diplopia, meaning double vision.