Redness of the labia: causes and treatment
Redness of the labia is an alarming symptom that bothers many women. Redness in private areas can signal infection or that inflammation, and therefore, it cannot be ignored. Very often red spots on skin adds itching, burning, irritation, which bring a woman considerable discomfort. The causes of this phenomenon can be very diverse – from improper hygiene to diseases of internal organs, requiring immediate treatment.
Causes redness of the genitals
Redness of the labia can occur in young girls and women during natural extinction of reproductive function. There are several major factors that can cause pathology:
- Virus genital herpes – when this disease is marked red spots and itching in the intimate area. On the affected skin are formed small red spots that rapidly increase in size, forming painful sores filled with fluid and erosion.
- Cause of pathology can be vaginal candidiasis. This disease is characterized by the following symptoms – redness of the labia, itching, burning. The woman can appear thick vaginal discharge having a curd consistency. Candidiasis discomfort much worse during urination or menstruation, exercising, during sexual intercourse. Candidiasis most often occurs later long-term administration of antibiotics or other drugs, as well as a General decline in the level of protective forces of an organism.
- Common causes of red spots on the surface of the vulva is vulvitis, vaginitis or vulvovaginitis, an inflammatory process affecting the mucosa of the genital organs or the entire vulva. Itching, red spots, burning – all this may indicate the development of inflammation.
- Reddening of the intimate area can be a sign of bartholinitis is an inflammatory disease that develops in the area of the Bartholin’s gland, located at the entrance to the vagina. Itching, burning and red spots on the skin of the external genitalia – the main symptoms of bartholinitis.
- Many sexually transmitted infections are manifested by itching and redness in the perineum. This can be trichomoniasis, gonorrhea or other diseases. For such infections is characterized by the appearance of copious discharge with sharp, unpleasant smell, irritation, pain in the intimate area.
- Gardnerellosis, gynecological disease, which is the causative agent of pathogenic microorganisms of Gardnerella. The main symptoms of the disease is redness of the reproductive organs, the irritation, the appearance of the discharge is grayish, whitish or light green shade.
Other causes of redness of the labia
It should be noted that itching and irritation in the crotch area is not always associated with diseases. There are other factors that can cause this pathology:
- Insufficient hygiene of the external genitalia, allergic reaction result from the use of soap or other cosmetic products for intimate hygiene, disrupts the normal vaginal flora.
- In some cases an allergic reaction can be caused by the wearing of tampons, pads, and synthetic underwear.
- Underwear must be strictly selected size should always be wearing tight, tight pants. For everyday socks get a quality product made from natural cotton fabric, breathable and allow the intimate area to breathe.
- Common allergens are condoms and intimate gels or special means of barrier contraception. They can also cause redness of the labia. In this case, you should contact your gynecologist for the selection of another method of contraception.
Treatment redness of the labia
Treatment of irritation of the labia is completely dependent on the cause of pathology. You must contact your gynecologist may also need to consult a doctor or dermatologist. The woman will need to undergo tests that will help to determine the cause of red spots in the bikini area.
If redness is allergic in nature, you should not allergen–, synthetic, tight underwear, wearing scented pads or using perfumed cosmetic products. Also better to limit your sexual activity. If irritation of the intimate area caused by the use of a condom or other means of local contraception, you need to consult your gynecologist to select another contraceptive method.
Don’t forget about regular hygiene procedures. Wash the genital area at least two times a day. For washing it is possible to use special means for intimate hygiene, as well as decoctions of herbs. But with herbs also one should be very careful – they can cause allergic reaction to sensitive mucosa of the perineum. It is better to use decoctions of herbs after a consultation with a gynecologist.