Treatment of degenerative disc disease of the thoracic spine: medication, massage, physical therapy
Approach to the treatment of degenerative disc disease of the thoracic spine
Degenerative-dystrophic changes, which provoke the occurrence of osteoarthritis, can affect any part of the spine.
Some areas quite often suffer from this pathology, other departments affected to a lesser degree. Thoracic osteochondrosis is diagnosed infrequently.
The fact that this part has a large vertebrae, in addition, it is not as agile as the other departments. However, in some cases thoracic osteochondrosis leads to serious deviations.
Features of the disease
This term is commonly understood, the thinning of the intervertebral discs and decrease the distance between the adjacent vertebrae.
Typically, the flattening of the discs lead to high load on the spine. However, the thorax of the utmost gravity is not necessary. Moreover, the muscular apparatus of the spine is well developed.
Why are also sometimes diagnosed with osteochondrosis?
Most often the disease is a consequence of impaired circulation and metabolism in the intervertebral discs.
Causes and risk factors
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
The main reasons for the development of thoracic osteochondrosis include the following:
- a shortage of plastic substances;
- genetic predisposition;
- traumatic injuries;
- the lack of water;
- a long stay in an uncomfortable position;
- sedentary lifestyle;
What are the characteristics of the disease?
Because the thoracic spine is subjected to stiffness and not so much exercise as cervical or lumbar symptoms rarely occur in the early stages of the disease.
A relatively small load on this site contributes to the development of various pathologies is very rare. However, violations of posture and scoliosis sometimes lead to disease of the spine.
Symptoms of degenerative disc disease of the thoracic spine occur late enough and lie in the compression of the nerve roots.
Sometimes there is compression of the spinal cord or its violation as a result of problems with blood circulation. Can also take the place of its contraction, this process results in compression of blood vessels.
Stage of development
This pathology klassificeret in several degrees of development:
- In osteochondrosis first-degree discs lose their elasticity, decreasing their height and having a protrusion.
- The second degree is followed by the reduced height of the discs, there is a loss of elasticity. This Department loses its stability, which significantly reduces the quality of human life. Sometimes crack in the fibrous ring that may provoke herniation. Usually experiencing pain, and sometimes signs of neurological disorders.
- For the third degree is characterized by the appearance of herniated discs. Its location and size affect the intensity of the manifestations of the disease.
- At the fourth degree of the disease, the disc ceases to have shock absorbing characteristics. Symptoms such as the approximation of the vertebrae and loss of mobility. Often zaselyalsya vessels and nerves, as well as disturbed structure of bone tissue.
Symptoms of the disease
Thoracic osteochondrosis is not as pronounced symptoms as other types of this disease.
Characterized by such symptoms:
- pain in the chest, which intensified during night time, during exercise, the bends, hypothermia, slopes to the side;
- discomfort between the shoulder blades that occur when raising hands or bending;
- discomfort between the ribs when walking;
- increasing discomfort with strong inhalations and exhalations;
- the tightness in the chest and back.
During the acute phase of the disease the discomfort may continue for several weeks.
In addition, there are signs of thoracic osteochondrosis:
- numbness of the skin;
- brittle nails;
- pain in the esophagus and pharynx;
- itching and burning in the lower extremities;
- feeling cold in the legs;
- peeling of the skin;
- disruption of the functioning of the digestive system.
The goals and methods of therapy
Completely eliminate low back pain is impossible, because it lies in the degenerative changes in the vertebral discs.
Therefore, the main goals of treatment is the following:
- ending the destruction of the intervertebral discs, the maximum recovery of their structure;
- restoration of biomechanics of the spine;
- elimination of abnormalities in the nervous system.
The main objective of this treatment is to eliminate pain. For the treatment of degenerative disc disease of the thoracic used such drugs:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs – diclofenac, nimesulide, ibuprofen. They help to cope with pain and to eliminate inflammation of the nerve roots. However, we have quite a lot of side effects like development of stomach ulcers, inflammation of the kidneys.
- Corticosteroids – prednisone, dexamethasone. Have a more pronounced analgesic and anti-inflammatory action. However, have a large number of side effects is the metabolism of calcium, the development of peptic ulcer disease, the increase in pressure. Such drugs are usually prescribed for the inefficiency of non-steroidal means.
- Diuretics – diakarb, furosemide. Help to resolve swelling of the pinched nerve roots and used as a supplementary means of treatment. They are appointed for a short period of time while worsening of the disease.
- Drugs to improve metabolism in the nerve tissues of the b vitamins, Actovegin, pensively. But the impact of the use of such funds during breast osteochondrosis has not been proved.
- Chondroprotectors – chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine. It is believed that through their use cannot restore the cartilage of the intervertebral discs. However, the effectiveness of these funds in relation to the treatment of degenerative disc disease has not been confirmed.
The most effective treatment for degenerative disc disease of the thoracic massage is considered to be. Thanks to its implementation cannot resolve
unpleasant symptoms, relax muscle tissue, restore the biomechanics of the spine.
Another effective means is the use of acupuncture action. Conducting acupuncture eliminates pain and helps to relax muscles.
Treatment may not be effective without the execution of special exercises:
- Sit on heels, lean forward, try chest touching the thighs. Forehead resting on the floor.
- Sit on the buttocks, back to lean palms about a floor. Tilt your head back and try to bend the spine in the chest.
- To sit in the chair to face the wall. To lean on her knees and forearms. After that, forehead to rest against the forearm. In this position straighten the spine.
- To take the knee-elbow position and execute the camber in the back.
- Sit or stand and clasp his hands in such a way as to dilute the blade. Take a deep breath and for a few seconds to hold your breath.
- Lie on your back, bend your legs. Try to get a knee to the nose, tilting the upper torso and head.
Each of these exercises, repeat for 6-8 times. The movement to carry on the inhale, and the original position to take on the exhale.
If there is dizziness, pain or heart palpitations, exercises should be stopped immediately. All the exercises recommended to perform them under the supervision of a specialist.
There are many effective folk remedies for the treatment of disease:
- In a glass bowl place 100 grams of marigold flowers, add 200 grams of vodka, alcohol and Cologne. Close tightly and leave for 2 weeks to infuse. RUB into problem area for 5 minutes, then wrap. Carry out the procedure several times a day.
- A couple of tablespoons of dried chamomile flowers pour 300 ml of boiling water and boil for 10 minutes. Make half a Cup. This should be done 3 times a day after meals.
- In equal proportions mix the dried orange peel and lemon balm leaves, take a tablespoon of the composition, add 250 ml of boiling water and leave for an hour to infuse. Drain, put the honey and tincture of Valerian – 1 teaspoon. To drink for 2-3 months twice a day. Single dose of 1 Cup.
The risk of complications
If time does not begin treatment of the disease, can appear quite dangerous complications:
- the spinal cord compression.
- protrusion or hernia of the spine;
- irregularities in the bowel;
- pathology of the heart;
- liver disease;
- kidney problems;
- intercostal neuralgia.
To prevent the development of pathology, you need to:
- sedentary work often to change position every two hours to do a small warm-up;
- during the day it is helpful to lie down for 40 minutes to remove the load from the spine;
- keep the back warm;
- enjoy water sports.
Although thoracic degenerative disc disease is rarely diagnosed, it is accompanied by a very unpleasant pain.
To prevent development of more serious complications, if you experience chest pain you should immediately consult the doctor who will establish the reasons of their occurrence and the selected medication.
Equally important is also medical gymnastics and massage.