Ultrasound of uterus: diagnostic features, indications, preparation
Almost every woman is faced with the need to have a thorough ultrasound examination of the pelvic organs in order to clarify state of health. Done painless procedure ultrasonic inspection of the uterine cavity, and appendages and the other pelvic organs, has features run. Preliminary preparation for ultrasound of the uterus also contains some stringent requirements. Before considering the detailed instructions for this manipulation, you should know when assigned to the research method.
Indications for performing ultrasound of the pelvic organs
Gynecologists often quite external and internal examination of the female to assume that gives the patient discomfort. However, the ultrasound has several task factors:
- The elucidation of the causes of failure in the regularity of the menstrual cycle on the background of women’s health.
- Periodic bleeding, unrelated to natural cyclical phenomenon.
- The profusion allocated whiter with a pungent odor, but without any admixture of blood.
- Pain in the lower abdomen, regardless of the nature of its flow.
- The inability to conceive or carry a child.
- The discomfort during intercourse.
- Clarification of details of tumors: shape, size, density, structural.
- Preoperative examination of the interior of the uterine cavity.
That is an ultrasound of the pelvic organs are not always assigned in cases of suspected disease. So before you panic, it is better to treat the examination as a preventive measure.
A variety of research
The use of ultrasonic equipment to detect violations in the work of the gynecological organs has three use cases:
- Transvaginal method of examination is done by entering a special sensor inside a female’s body through the vagina. Despite the inconvenience of such a study for the patient, this method is the most precise, informative indicators of not only the state of the uterus, but the cervix.
- Transrectal method is young patients that have not yet parted with her virginity. Is produced by introducing a thinner sensor into the rectum.
- Transabdominal ultrasound examination is the usual form external examination of the pelvic organs. That is, the x-raying of internals occurs through the outer layer of the abdominal wall.
- Internal ultrasound of the uterus suggests the presence of a probe that is inserted deep into the body. Quite a rare method of study assigned in the most exceptional or severe cases.
- Sonohysterography (CHS) is a more sophisticated form of transvaginal ultrasound, accompanied by the introduction into the body women contrast medium or sterile saline solution. Then repeated the procedure for the introduction of the sensor into the vagina and the uterine cavity is inspected again.
In any case, whatever the examination not prescribed by a doctor, it is necessary to pass. And to performing this procedure, it is necessary to properly prepare.
Preparing for a gynaecological examination with ultrasound
The most popular question presented to the diagnostician-gynecologist women: how to prepare for ultrasound of the uterus, has no clear answer. Because different survey methods suggest a variety of specific training activities.
The simplest method of preparation is internal research. To make enough to come after the standard hygienic procedures and with empty majevica.
External abdominal examination suggests some limitations in usual lifestyle. To prepare for the ultrasound of the uterus and appendages, it is sufficient to follow these rules:
- To minimize the gas exchange inside the abdomen by eliminating from the diet foods such as brown bread, cabbage, tomatoes, beans, nuts, soda and other foods, causing flatulence. This diet must adhere to a minimum day before the procedure.
- This ultrasound is performed only with a full bladder, that achieves by copious drinking liquids for an hour or two before the study began. While going to the toilet is strictly prohibited.
Transrectal examination involves the rectum. That is, you need to do a cleansing enema or emptying the bowel with laxatives medicines.
Method transvaginal ultrasound should be on the background of the empty bladder and bowel. Enema, in principle, not required preparation for the procedure, but getting rid of excessive gas through the daily diet or taking special drugs will improve the quality of the survey.
Sonohysterography is usually conducted immediately after transvaginal ultrasound, if the indicators of the survey are not satisfied with the gynecologist-diagnostician. Therefore, separate preparation of SGG is not required.
To the question: how do ultrasound of the pelvic organs, there are at least three possible answers, depending on how the procedure. In the transabdominal method, women will have to get rid of the clothes in the abdomen. Then the diagnostic will be applied to the skin a special cream that allows the ultrasonic sensor to move through the stomach smoothly and painlessly. In this way the study of the structure of the uterus can be seen in the supine position.
Internal examination methods of guessing to get rid of the clothing below the belt, because the introduction of the sensor or probe inside the vagina and rectum is impossible through underwear. The position of the body when transrectal and transvaginal examinations will have a lateral position with bent in knee legs.
To make ultrasound more efficiently, should adhere to the deadlines regarding the menstrual cycle. The best event period is considered to be 3-5 days after the end of monthly bleeding. Doctors explain such affection that in the beginning of the next menstrual cycle, the uterine endometrium is thinned to such an extent that even small and just starting the formation of polyps and other formations will necessarily be visible on the monitor screen. With each passing day, the accuracy of the figures will begin to drop significantly. Although there are such cases when necessary to clarify certain diagnoses, involving the carrying out of ultrasonic diagnostics of the uterus several times in one cycle: 7-9 days, 15 and 23 day.
Effective information of the survey
The convenience of ultrasonic examination is concluded not only in its painlessness and safety for the body, but also the speed of the results. Usually the final diagnostic output is given 5 minutes after the examination in the same office, which conducted an ultrasound. But it is worth remembering that this is not a final diagnosis. It is just the data that allows the gynecologist to diagnose the disease and prescribe the correct treatment.
Results of us informed about such important elements as echostructure and echogenicity of the uterine cavity and confirm or rule out the presence of various tumors inside the body. Explanation indicators surveys conducted by comparing the obtained data with established healthy norms. Moreover, the decrease in the size of structural elements is also reason to be wary, as with increasing indices.
Usually ultrasound examination allows to specify the following values:
- The length and width of the uterus and appendages.
- The size of the cervix.
- Indicators front and rear walls of the organs.
Standard diagnostician writes on the form the results of the individual inspection and affix the targets set by the norm. Moreover, it is worth considering the fact that among nulliparous women, normal values can be overstated. So no need to make our own diagnoses and come up with a problem. Detailed interpretation of the values only occurs from a professional gynecologist who will take into account the physiological characteristics of each individual patient and prescribe appropriate treatment, if needed.