Are bleeding gums in pregnancy: causes and treatment
The situation when are bleeding gums during pregnancy is not uncommon. A sign indicates the presence of pathology of the oral cavity. In most cases, the disease was already present in women prior to conception of the baby, and with the emergence of renewed stress on the body, it has worsened. The disease is exacerbated by an increased need for vitamins and minerals, lots of hormonal changes. The reasons why there is bleeding gums during pregnancy is varied. To get rid of unpleasant symptom of the disease, contact your dentist as early as possible.
Gingivitis — an unpleasant and dangerous pathology
A small number of people visit the dental clinic with the aim of prevention and health surveillance. Quite a few women and girls pay attention to the first signs of diseases of the oral cavity.
On the recommendations of dentists and midwives, women are in the planning stages of the baby, must undergo examinations by the following specialists:
Bleeding gums in pregnancy, it can occur at any time. However, most often the disease begins to progress in the first trimester gestation of the baby. This period coincides with the morning sickness. The woman feels a constant weakness, fatigue, nausea, you may see vomiting. In connection with poor health, the future young mother refuses to carry out important hygienic measures. It progresses the development of gingivitis.
Upon detection of the diseases need to be treated. To dangerous pathologies of the oral cavity are gingivitis, periodontitis, caries, pulpitis, periodontitis.
In addition to bleeding gums in pregnant women, there is a series of unpleasant symptoms:
- Pain sensitivity when consuming hot, cold, sweet, salty, sour foods.
- Hyperemia (redness) to mucosal tissues.
- Bad breath.
- Dryness of the mucosa.
- The increase of salivation.
- An increase in the level of plaque on the teeth.
Gingivitis is a dangerous pathology. Bacterial plaque accumulating at the base of the necks of the teeth, is a source of chronic infection. He is the reason for the development of cervical caries, which is difficult to treat. In some cases there is hypertrophy of gingival papillae. In this case, they are much larger, cover the coronal part of the dental units. Women may think that they have a bleeding tooth, but this is incorrect. Biological liquid appears from under the affected by inflammation of the gums. Hypertrophy is present in chronic gingivitis.
Bleeding when brushing your teeth — about the treatment to the doctor
Why do gums bleed during pregnancy?
The reasons for the development of gingivitis:
- Violation of hygienic rules, cleaning dental units;
- Improper diet: lack in the diet of hard fruits and vegetables, consuming large amounts of sweets, flour products, carbonated drinks;
- Hormonal changes associated with pregnancy;
- The lack of vitamins.
If symptoms of gingivitis is ignored, the pathology will grow into another disease with which to cope is difficult.
Periodontitis — inflammation of periodontal tissues that surround the tooth. The disease is accompanied by increase in the number of bacterial deposits, formation of gingival pockets. Filled with remnants of food and pathogenic microorganisms, they become inflamed. Between the gum and dental units appears a space in which there is a purulent or serous fluid. Quite often, periodontal disease is accompanied by a slight increase in temperature, mobility of the teeth.
If a pregnant woman does not spend a timely treatment of gingivitis, he will go into periodontitis. In the absence of treatment of periodontitis there is a risk of intrauterine infection of the baby, the onset of miscarriage or premature birth.
Healthy mom — healthy baby!
With bleeding gums in pregnancy, the treatment should be urgent. It begins with a visit to the dental clinic. Strongly desirable to resort to self-medication. Dangerous are the use of medicinal herbs and infusions of them. The use of drugs without prescription of the dentist can have negative consequences:
- Violation of the baby’s development or placental structures;
- The occurrence of allergic reactions. Threat are of immediate type reactions such as angioedema, anaphylactic shock;
- Deterioration of General health;
- Increased muscle tone of the uterus in early pregnancy may cause abortion in last trimester of pregnancy — premature birth;
- The aggravation of gingivitis, the rapid development of periodontitis.
What to do if during pregnancy you have bleeding gums?
During a visit to the medical facility, the dentist will conduct the oral examination of a young woman. The use of x-ray diagnostics while waiting for the crumbs is carried out only when necessary. To confirm the diagnosis of gingivitis, sufficient examination by probe and mirror.
Blood from gums is a dangerous sign which you need to pay attention!
Treatment of pathologies of the oral cavity is recommended to be conducted in term 2 of waiting for a baby. However, in some cases, the therapy is immediately, regardless of gestational age.
Professional oral hygiene is instrumental to the mechanical method. Subsequently carry out the cleansing items of special safe polishing pastes and brushes. Ultrasonic and laser cleaning during pregnancy is not possible.
The help of a doctor if gingivitis:
- To remove accumulated bacterial deposits from the surface of the dental units at their base.
- To carry out the polishing and cleaning teeth.
- If necessary to appoint a special healing gels and ointments to relieve the inflammatory process. Rinse decoction of herbs will help to cope with pathology, but they should be applied only after the professional treatment. Medicines prescribed by the dentist based on the need for purpose and taking into account the period of pregnancy.
- Hygienist will show you how to properly care for their teeth, what toothbrush and toothpaste to prefer.
In connection with the rapid development of pathologies in women awaiting the birth of the crumbs, should be to consult the dentist every 3 months.
Prevention of gingivitis
Dental disease is easier to prevent than to treat.
In order to prevent diseases of the gums, you need to:
- Brush your teeth morning and evening after meals for 3 to 4 minutes. Upon completion of the procedure it is important to clean the surface of the tongue, inside of cheeks and lips with a special brush. For a thorough cleansing of the interdental deposits it is advisable to use floss (a special thread).
- When bleeding from the gums, should not use brushes with hard and medium bristles. Procedure is desirable to perform a soft brush. It does not injure the gums, but worse to cope with the function of brushing teeth. To get rid of plaque, time hygiene increase to 5 — 6 minutes.
- Irrigator for mouth — will help to ensure a quality cleaning of the teeth by the pressure of the water. Produce stationary and portable devices. Stationary irrigator is connected to a power source and has several removable brushes, is ideal for family use.
- Rinses for the mouth antiseptic, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory action. As part of their common substance that during pregnancy use undesirable. Therefore, the selection of hygiene products very carefully.
- While waiting for the baby, dentists recommend the application of mouthwash: SPLAT organic, New pearl, Forest balsam, Portent.
- For women awaiting the birth of babies to produce a special toothpaste: r.o.c.s. natural, Bionics, Splat Organic maternity Dentalen pregna, Organic People, 9 months pregnant.
- To improve blood circulation in the mucosa of the oral cavity to massage with a special brush or with clean fingers.
- Drink plenty of fluids. The rate of consumption of clean water a day equals to 1.5 — 2 liters. To specify exact values, refer to observing the gynecologist;
- Eat right. The diet must contain fresh vegetables, fruits, herbs. Useful products are: cabbage, radishes, turnips, carrots, hard apples and pears;
- Walk in the street near water. Raising General immunity has a beneficial effect on all organs and systems;
- To monitor health status, it is recommended to visit the dentist for preventive purposes.
The use of special gels and ointments, such as Metrogyl Denta, Holisal may be applied after the removal of deposits and by appointment the dentist.
The solution for the teeth of chamomile
The future mother without harm to your body and the baby’s health can apply rinse with infusion of Chamomile. Medicinal raw materials successfully fights against inflammatory processes of the oral cavity, and promotes tissue regeneration.
How to make a solution for use?
In a clean enamel pot, poured 2 tablespoons of chamomile flowers, pour the raw material of boiled water. After mixing, the liquid is heated in a water bath for 15 — 20 minutes. After preparation, the solution insist 1 hour. After cooling, the liquid filter, use for rinsing 2 — 3 times a day.
The use of mouthwash and medicinal infusions on a regular basis is unacceptable. Solutions can lead to dysbiosis and the emergence of stomatitis. With the development of allergic reactions, dryness of mucous membranes, excessive burning sensation, salivation recommended to cancel the use of the drug and to contact the observing dental hygienist or periodontist.
Follow the simple recommendations a woman will reduce the number of pathologies of the oral cavity, prevent unpleasant disease and protect yourself and your baby from nasty complications.