Can pregnant women to fill teeth: anesthesia during pregnancy
Can pregnant women to fill teeth or is better to postpone visit to the dentist in the postnatal period? After all, according to women, there is a risk for the baby to be used in the treatment of anesthesia. How to apply anesthetics on the fetus and when the question of filling tooth during pregnancy is particularly acute?
When a visit to the dentist is urgent
In the first trimester, women received a complete examination by experts of a narrow profile. The dentist is no exception. Dentist examines the oral cavity of the pregnant and gives the conclusion about necessity of rehabilitation of certain teeth that are damaged by tooth decay or periodontal disease. If the teeth do not disturb the patient during pregnancy, it is recommended to undergo treatment after 20 weeks. This is not the case if the treatment should be started immediately.
In some cases when pregnancy cannot be delayed:
- In the event of acute pain;
- If increased sensitivity of tooth enamel (responds to cold or hot);
- With the development of purulent process in the oral cavity;
- In the presence of a cyst or pulpitis.
In these situations, treatment begins immediately. The procedure for filling involves the mandatory application of anesthesia, which is most afraid of women. Because the anesthetics enter the blood system and delivered to the fetus. What type of anesthesia is allowed for pregnant women and how it affect the child?
Types of anesthesia for pregnant women
For filling teeth use of local anesthesia. This type of anesthesia is safe for pregnant and fear it not worth it. Why?
Local anesthesia is an injection in the gums around the aching tooth. For pain use minimal amount of drug. It is important that the patient has lost sensitivity at the time of treatment and removing the nerve. For this manipulation, it is sufficient 20 minutes. During this time the anesthetic can’t get into the blood in the placenta. This is the main advantage of local anesthesia. Under this type of anesthesia is carried out not only treatment, but also the removal of teeth.
If you choose the alternative between constant aching pain and anesthetic, the latter will be the most safe for baby.
Why pregnant spoil the teeth
Pregnancy is a time when all the forces of the body aimed at the preservation and nurturing of the baby. All the nutrients in the first place, go to the nutrition and development of the fetus and the mother’s body begins to suffer from deficiency of vitamins and minerals. Vitamin complex is recommended to take pregnant women to strengthen their defenses and protect women from susceptibility to infections and viruses.
For healthy teeth need calcium, it is the building material of the skeletal system of the fetus. When it is lacking, the body begins to consume its own reserves. Teeth undergo destruction and the development of caries.
The consequences of lack of treatment
If you ignore the recommendation of dentist about the necessity of readjustment of the mouth — this can lead to adverse mother’s body and baby consequences:
- The penetration of infection in the placenta. Caries is the process of tooth decay. We all know that through any microtrauma or breach the integrity of the infection enters the bloodstream and causes an inflammatory disease in the body. Bacteria, the blood flow overcomes the placental barrier and into the amniotic fluid. The result of infection water:
- Water shortage;
- The development of fetal anomalies;
- The risk of premature birth.
- Complete destruction and loss of teeth. The longer a woman lives with caries, the sooner the tooth is destroyed. The dentist will be difficult to restore and save a tooth that is affected. To treat it makes no sense, so the question of the deletion.
- The probability of transmission to the child through breast milk. Infection from the oral cavity of the mother into the blood system and then penetrates into the milk. The mother, unaware, feed the baby breast, and in the meantime he developed inflammation in the organs and tissues.
- Breastfeeding takes a lot out of mom. Milk contains valuable to the body of the child components. If a breastfeeding woman eats poorly in the course are the resources of the body. Calcium and phosphorus from the body uses the bones and teeth of the mother. Therefore, after the period of breast feeding high risk intensive softening and destruction of the enamel. To treat all his teeth need to go, to avoid problems in the future. So, thinking about whether to fill teeth during pregnancy a woman needs to think about the possible complications.
At what period of pregnancy are safe to treat teeth
To fill teeth pregnant women can not at any time. The most dangerous time is the first and the third trimester. Accordingly safe — from 14 to 28 a week. Why these terms are safe and dangerous to carry out sanation of oral cavity?
In the first weeks of conception, there is transplantation and attachment of the ovum. Then begins the process of forming the organs of the unborn child. This period is particularly dangerous any intervention in a woman’s body. Pain and stress experienced by pregnant during treatment, can lead to increased tone of the pregnant uterus. The result is detachment of the placenta and the threat of abortion.
In the last stages of a woman’s body is preparing for the upcoming birth. At this time, it is important to protect the pregnant woman from stressful situations. A tooth filling is a kind of stress. There is a risk to give birth ahead of time. The birth of a premature baby entails a lot of problems on nursing. If until the third trimester teeth were not cured, it is better to delay the procedure until the postpartum period.
Is it possible during pregnancy to put the seal, if the period is more than 14 weeks? Yes, it’s the best time to visit the dentist. The risk of miscarriage has passed and the organs of the baby are formed. You can begin treatment and not be afraid of complications. Local anesthesia has no effect on the course of pregnancy, since the placental barrier is strong enough.
What filling materials used for pregnant
The process of treatment of carious teeth rarely takes place in a single stage. The first step is scrubbing of the tooth cavity and the tab of a drug that relieves inflammation. Closed reamed out the tooth with a temporary filling. If a woman for several days no pains and discomfort, the dentist changes the temporary staff to permanent.
Widely applicable materials:
High quality, durability and safety reflective different fillings made of composite materials.
Is it possible to do x-rays pregnant
Is it possible to fill teeth during pregnancy without prior radiography? If the tooth hurts or a cyst, without picture will not do. But pregnancy and x-rays — two incompatible concepts. What to do in this case?
Alternative to x-rays is radiovisiograph. The flow of rays are sent directly to the selectable area, and the damage from this unit is significantly less. A woman wearing a protective apron, as an additional means of security.
Dental treatment is one thing, but to keep them healthy — it is not simple. It is important to keep oral hygiene not only during gestation.
- To monitor the cleanliness of your teeth by brushing twice a day.
- To visit the dentist annually;
- To eat more fresh vegetables and fruits;
- Limit intake of sugar for the night;
- Rinse your mouth decoctions of medicinal herbs.
If you still doubt whether it is possible to fill a cavity during pregnancy, weigh the pros and cons.
To sum up we can conclude that the due date of pregnancy this procedure is completely safe. To fill teeth not only possible, but necessary. The lack of carious teeth is not only your health but also key to the birth of a healthy baby.