Oral thrush — thrush: symptoms and treatment
Oral thrush – a fungal disease of nature. The causative agent is a yeast-like fungus of the Candida family. In people, the disease is called thrush. Thrush affects not only the mucous membranes of the mouth, but the urinary system. Talk about the fungal disease, which most often occurs in children. Oral thrush in adults is less common. Even if you think a fungal disease purely children’s, adults also should know, how is the pathology in adulthood.
Disease begins with inflammation and edema of the mucous membranes and tongue. As a result of atrophy of the papillae, there is smoothing. The tongue becomes smooth, shiny with signs of congestion. Then there are plaques of white color, reminiscent of a cheesy consistency. The small lesions may coalesce into larger ones, forming ulcers and erosion of the coating. To recognize the disease is not difficult: tongue, cheeks and the sky is covered white of education in the form of plaque. To remove it very difficult. Children respond very rapidly stomatitis, they refuse food because of pain in the oral cavity. What is oral thrush, and most importantly how to treat it, take a closer look.
Hence there is a fungal disease of nature
Yeast-like fungi present in the body of each of us. But under certain conditions they make themselves known. What contributes to the progression of the disease? The main reasons contributing to the growth and reproduction of fungal disease include:
- The weakening of protective forces of an organism, in consequence transferred earlier diseases;
- Allergic reaction to product introduced into the diet during a weakened immune system;
- Long-term use of antibacterial drugs;
- The long-term pass loose stools;
- Wrong poor nutrition;
- A violation of hormonal background;
- Carious teeth, diamond teeth and an inflammatory disease of the gums;
- Wrong tool for oral hygiene (toothpaste containing sodium lauryl sulfate);
- Transferred stress, nervous tension;
- Chemotherapy treatment for cancer diseases;
- Hereditary factor;
- The lack of proper care of the oral cavity;
- Sjogren’s Syndrome
- The abuse of tobacco.
Treatment of candidal stomatitis in adults should begin with a comprehensive examination and passing a series of studies. Therapy should be aimed not only at suppressing the progression of the fungus, but also on finding and addressing the root causes of pathology.
How to recognize a fungal disease? The main symptoms
The symptoms of thrush are similar to bacterial. Priority patients – pain in the mouth, burning and erosive lesions of the mucous membranes. Pathology especially hard to tolerate children, and they have to treat stomatitis is the most difficult. Not always the kid knows how to rinse your mouth or gives to treat the oral cavity.
Candidiasis in adults runs a little differently than in children. Let us consider the notion of thrush and the symptoms of the disease. The clinical picture in the adult is shown as follows:
- A feeling of burning pain in the mouth and throat;
- The mucous membrane of the mouth covered with yellowish-white bloom;
- The hyperemia of the mucous membranes of the cheeks and palate;
- When you try to remove the plaque is the blood;
- The feeling of metal attack in the mouth;
- Disruption of taste buds;
- Dryness in the mouth, pain when swallowing.
In children the symptoms are different. For fungal stomatitis is characterized by:
- White, cheesy consistency of education on the tongue, palate and cheeks;
- Pain and burning sensation, as evidenced by the lethargy and tearfulness of the child;
- The refusal of food;
- A slight increase in body temperature, in the presence of concomitant diseases, the temperature is 39 * C;
- Redness and swelling of the mucous membrane of the oral cavity;
- With the penetration of fungi in the gastrointestinal tract – abdominal pain;
- Erosive formations under a white coating in your mouth.
If during the illness of the baby, the mother is practicing breast feeding, no wonder that through cracks in the nipple lactating mother is sick with thrush. In order for the treatment of fungal stomatitis effective treatment of the subject and the mother and child. Often parents miss the beginning of diseases in their offspring, because cheesy plaque similar to the remnants of milk on the tongue. Thrush reveals a physician, in nursing the examination of the child first year of life. Adults treated for thrush together with his child, in order to prevent recurrence.
Which specialist should be contacted for diagnosis of the disease
- If we are talking about the child, the test is conducted by a specialist in childhood diseases the pediatrician. If necessary, the doctor directs a small the patient to an immunologist. If the mouth are the centers of a chronic infection in the form of tooth decay, the child is sent for a consultative examination to the dentist.
- Upon detection of candidal stomatitis in adult treatment spends primary care physician, immunologist and dentist.
Recovery may be delayed if you have medical conditions that require taking antibiotics because antibiotics provoke the development of thrush.
How to get rid of thrush in the mouth adults. Treatments
Treatment of fungal stomatitis in adults is aimed at addressing the manifestations of thrush in your mouth and suppressing the development of fungi. The integrated approach will ensure a more rapid recovery. It is recommended to use as a means for external use and for internal. What to treat oral thrush for adults?
First we need to identify the cause and genus of the pathogen. Adults can be carriers of not only the fungus of the genus Candida, but also other types of microorganisms. In the presence of diseases associated with disruption of the digestive and endocrine systems recovery may be delayed.
For the treatment of candidiasis in adults recommended by:
- Cancel the drug or reduce the dosage of drugs that can trigger yeast infection. In the absence of a threat to the health of the patient cancel antibiotics corticosteroids and cytotoxic agents;
- To achieve a visible effect it is necessary to eliminate chronic disease, provoking the development of fungus;
- Effective use of antifungal agents. As a rule, prescribe terbinafine, Nystatin, Nizoral, Levorin, Diflucan, Candida, Clotrimazole. These drugs can be assigned for use inside, and apply externally in the form of ointments and solutions;
- To remove the inflammatory syndrome and accelerate regeneration of damaged tissues of the oral mucosa is recommended after each meal to rinse your mouth decoctions of herbs (sage, calendula, chamomile, oak bark), solution of furacilin, a weak solution of soda;
- Not less important for the patient is diet. From the usual diet of the patient excludes products containing large amounts of starch, as well as sweet and flour;
- Patients candidal stomatitis recommended B vitamins, ascorbic acid and rutin;
- To relieve swelling of the mouth, the physician can prescribe antihistamines;
- Do not leave without attention to oral cavity of the patient: the carious teeth are subject to reorganization, periodontitis — compulsory treatment.
All products are selected strictly individually, taking into account the form of manifestation of thrush. You should focus on the age of the patient. Elderly all drugs administered in a reduced dosage. This is because with age, the human metabolism slows down. Treatment for thrush is much easier if the disease is not acquired chronic. At an advanced stage to choose the tactics of treatment is much more difficult, since the symptomatology is slightly different. How to treat oral thrush in people of Mature age, we found out, now let’s look at how to treat oral thrush in children.
Treatment of fungal stomatitis in children
Treatment of fungal disease in a child is 14 days to several months. The outcome of treatment will depend on how affected the oral cavity fungal disease. For therapeutic purposes a small child is prescribed regular treatment of mouth. Rehabilitation possible after each meal antifungals and ointments for oral application.
To treat thrush it is impossible. The process may be delayed by going to the chronic form. Children older than 2 years is recommended to dissolve the pill, which normalize the microflora of the mouth, as well as strengthen the immune system.
Effective treatment for candidiasis in older children is Imudon. For more complex forms of children prescribed injections and medicines for internal use. A child, under the supervision of parents should regularly rinse your mouth. As antifungal solutions it is possible to apply the Furatsilinom, Miramistin, Rivanol, Drops, Aqua Maris. Locally, children prescribed antiviral drugs: Oxoline and Acyclovir. Adjustments child nutrition: excluded dishes with high acidity, and spicy, fried and salty foods. You should restrict child eat sweets, flour and confectionery. Toys and household items, the child should be disinfected.
The types and forms of thrush in adults and children
In the clinical picture and the course of acute and chronic fungal stomatitis. If you ignore the acute form, it quickly moves into a phase of chronic.
An acute yeast infection to recognize is much easier symptomatology is pronounced, the patient complains of General intoxication (weakness, malaise, rise in body temperature). In turn, the acute course of the disease can be divided into atrophic and pseudomembranous stomatitis. Most common pseudomembranous candidiasis. The disease affected children under one year who have had an infectious disease, bronchitis. Often, the pathology affects children born earlier than expected.
In adults too, there is pseudomembranous candidiasis. Usually, they are suffering of cancer patients and individuals with diabetes.
Atrophic oral thrush is a result of uncontrolled or long reception of antibiotics and hormonal agents. This patient complains of pain and burning in the oral cavity. A white plaque on mucous membranes there. Can be disrupted taste buds.
Chronic stomatitis is much more difficult to diagnose because there is no clear symptoms. There is the concept of hyperplastic candidal stomatitis. Fungal disease is observed in people taking medicines for a long period of time.
Chronic atrophic candidiasis are most often found in people who wear dentures. Under the dentures, in the deep furrows of the visible white patches which causes discomfort and a burning sensation in the patient.
Now you know how to cure oral thrush in your mouth. But that does not mean you have to run to the drugstore and buy up all the antifungal drugs. It would be wise to begin to visit a doctor who will prescribe treatment based on the individual characteristics of your body. In fact, before to treat fungal stomatitis need to identify the cause and pathogen. The diagnosis alone can be misleading. Self-medication is extremely dangerous for health, especially when it comes to children.